FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It may be funny but I am kind of feeling more optimistic for Sing now that I see the mediocre reviews. An unoriginal, cliched, funny animation is a guarranted hit..I mean it's meant for kids. It's not supposed to be a piece of art with an deep meanig etc...  

It's the thing we can kind of forget, the GA don't always want deep and meaningful, sometimes they want light and fluffy colors for two hours of enjoyment, especially on, say, a holiday like Christmas. Sing looks stupid and shallow, because it kind of is, but it's fun, and has more heart than it probably has a right to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's the thing we can kind of forget, the GA don't always want deep and meaningful, sometimes they want light and fluffy colors for two hours of enjoyment, especially on, say, a holiday like Christmas. Sing looks stupid and shallow, because it kind of is, but it's fun, and has more heart than it probably has a right to.

Exactly. Reviews on animations affect only the adults. It's not like kids saw Zootopia because of how meaningful it is. Humour and action are the keys to an animation.

• Like 1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with films pandering to kids. If kids enjoy the film then they have done something right. And parents don't necessarily care if they don't enjoy the film as much as the kids do. Most times parents just want to bring the kids to something that they're going to enjoy and this gives them 2 hours of relief LOL. I speak from experience. My two nieces absolutely loved the secret life of pets and they are obsessed with Frozen and they love princesses and so on and so on. This is why I have said Singh will be huge. I believe it will be big because it definitely resonates with kids. Cute animals and singing. Kids love that shit LOL

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Well, since I addressed everyone (including Empire), your suggestion is kind of unnecessary, no?

No.

He is the only one who has numbers. None of us do. So I was just saying perhaps you could address him personally and the notification will get to him and then perhaps he will post other numbers.

@EmpireCity

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I want to ask a little bit about the demographics of this. Aren't the audiences for this kind of old? I keep hearing about schools but does this really have a big audience coming from pupils?

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am still though very skeptical about the underaged audience this can draw. And with such competition (Sing,Moana)..Maybe teenagers but I hardly think there is interest from <13 children. It doesn't really feel like a family movie.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Wait, when are the new movies' previews coming? Is it different this week because of christmas?

Some (wide: Sing, Passengers, Assassins Creed) got released yesterday evening per preview and have as such the 'real release today, and also at Friday there are still releases (Why him?) Not sure if all get/got previews.

The films going this week into release were mentioned over the last few days (and earlier) in varying threads for maybe taking some percentages, as e.g. partly overlapping fans of franchises or genres.

demographic/family film:

depends on the ages of the children. I am pretty sure the limit parents will take their kids to it will be higher than usual, but it will not exclude all of them, and also:

The film scored straight A’s across the board from CinemaScore. It played 59% male, 74% adult, 37% 25-and-under, 49% 26-49, and 14% over 50.

It played 62% 2D (5% PLF 2D), 12% IMAX, and 6% PLF 3D.

Out of my mind, not sure about that 18%, might have been 19%:

26% were under 18 years old in complete, 18% out of all were under/in the next step to present the ages, but I forgot what step that is.

They asked also for this:

will you recommend to watch it to your friends...

the highest rate to say yes, will definitively recommend it to friends with 90% was the age group including the 10y old (I remember s I think according what I learned about the film that sounds maybe a bit too young for it)

The group with the lowest 'will recommend..' answer was the older females group with still 74%

We know at least at Monday at least 3/4 of the schools were still running, and starting Wednesday... each day more schools close down for the school holidays.

Not sure if all mothers will extra money to watch a film in question about the age recommendation, X-Mas is near, I expect the pupils going to the cinemas with friends instead of parents / siblings e.g. with X-Mas money presents in the wallet in the week after X-Mas (if they are not driving visiting grandparents,...) or even later on.

I think the film belongs a bit in the 'will see with people who also want to see' category, and till all the X-mas visitations,... are over it might take a bit of time till all have time, if not the complete family want or can/allowed to watch the film

Also seems to have ... impact enough to get some 10 years old to want to drag their friends into a cinema for a bit more spice than they might be used to to see in the cinema. Not sure what to think about that, but when I speak with my pupils not a lot of 'still children' (10-12y) really want to go to the cinemas, at least not to what parents think they want to see, the younger ones usually get taken to it, are not asking for it, beside part.... of something they already knoe or if the advertising got to them

I think it is still too early, no follow up details released, too unusual mixture of holdovers, Holiday season, spin of, weekday spread out of holidays, changed Tuesday pattern impacting other days too, new releases with the same genre, and,... 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

How in the world is a film about singing animals look shallow and stupid? It looks just as entertaining as any other animated film that comes out. Finding Dory has cute animals in the ocean. I fail to see the difference.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

How in the world is a film about singing animals look shallow and stupid? It looks just as entertaining as any other animated film that comes out. Finding Dory has cute animals in the ocean. I fail to see the difference.

Indeed. Pixar always gets treated like it's this deep shit. #stupidfish

• Like 3

Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story made as much money Tuesday as it did on Monday: Essentially an estimated $17.7M at 4,157 locations.

Through yesterday, Rogue One counts $190.3M at the domestic B.O. with the $200M mark within reach today.

Tuesday’s till for Rogue One is pretty remarkable considering a couple of factors. First, the number of K-12 schools off between Monday and Tuesday only inched up from 37% to 38%, with colleges on break increasing from 76% to 81%. Second, there was a trio of wide entries including previews from Illumination/Universal’s Sing (starting at 6pm), Sony/Village Roadshow’s Passengers and 20th Century Fox’s Assassin’s Creed. We’ll have numbers from them soon.

There are fewer schools off now than there were during Force Awakens a year ago. Even though the number of K-12 schools off today grows to 46% with 86% colleges per ComScore, these numbers hit their 100% peak starting Monday, Dec. 26.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/rogue-one-passengers-assassins-creed-sing-tuesday-box-office-1201874410/

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I just know when I was a kid if I had the choice between an animated musical and an effects laden science fiction epic, the choice would be the latter.

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Nice avvy.

Looking forward to Legion.

Thanks! Yup, currently looking forward to that more than any movie coming out in the next couple of months. Trailers look awesome.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It may be funny but I am kind of feeling more optimistic for Sing now that I see the mediocre reviews. An unoriginal, cliched, funny animation is a guarranted hit..I mean it's meant for kids. It's not supposed to be a piece of art with an deep meanig etc...  

Lmao so true. That's Illumination's bread and butter: shitty movies with cute animals/creatures doing cute things. That's literally their main focus. "Make it cuter" must be their mantra. They cast a wide net by aiming the lowest. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

I just know when I was a kid if I had the choice between an animated musical and an effects laden science fiction epic, the choice would be the latter.

And that's fine. Star Wars was huge for me as well when I was a kid. But that doesn't mean that Bambi or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves or Sleeping Beauty weren't big hits with kids as well. There's room in the marketplace for many films over the Christmas holidays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Lmao so true. That's Illumination's bread and butter: shitty movies with cute animals/creatures doing cute things. That's literally their main focus. "Make it cuter" must be their mantra. They cast a wide net by aiming the lowest. 

This coming from the one poster here who hates everything unless it has a budget of $5 and is directed by a German or doesn't star anyone from Hollywood. You're the most cynical  poster on this site.

• Like 2