John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

10 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

And I bet you she will NEVER again pretend to trip on the red carpet or interrupt interviews to announce she wants to devour 4 whole pizzas. She knows people see through her bullshit now. 

The Donut Licker :sick:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, James said:

@CJohn, tickets just went on sale here for AC, opening Jan 6 and holy fuck. It is going to be so insanely massive (I'm starting to think it has a shot at beating RO). Do presales in Portugal look the same as here (I know it opens on the same date)? 

Also, Passengers, which had previews here starting from yesterday has some very good WOM. I don't know if the US will respond to it the same way though. 

No pre-sales will be available for AC until January 4 here. It should be a big hit but it won't beat Rogue One.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

And I bet you she will NEVER again pretend to trip on the red carpet or interrupt interviews to announce she wants to devour 4 whole pizzas. She knows people see through her bullshit now. 

"How annoyingly relatable!"

She friggin' nailed it. :D :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, druv10 said:

I saw Passengers, last night. Pretty good movie, I don't get the hate.

Yes you do! It is not a comic book movie, stars Jennifer Lawrence AND she has top billing. These are unforgivable crimes to some people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

The real question, and it is a real testament to double standards, is whether Chris Pratt is a draw, outside of his Marvel and Jurassic Park franchises. The short answer is abso-effing- lutely NO, the Magnificent Seven and Passengers underperfoming as they did and will being recent examples.

I've always felt Pratt is much more at home in comedies (or heroic roles that tap into his comedic chops like Guardians of the Galaxy). Something tells me the attempt at making him a big action star isn't gonna have much of a shelf life.

9 minutes ago, James said:

I truly feel there's an audience disconnect with critics lately:

- Collateral Beauty: 17% critics / 67% audiences' score

- Passengers: 30% / 68% 

- Assassin's Creed: 18% / 74% 

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. From the critics' perspective, they have been watching all of the Oscar bait films during this time of year in addition to the mainstream cineplex fare. Their palates become accustomed to a fine French wine and suddenly the studios serve up some Mad Dog. They overreact and grade the mainstream fare more harshly than usual.

The other reason relates to moviegoers. 2016 has been a brutal year for a lot of people and they are seeking to put the year (especially the election) behind them for a couple of hours while they watch a movie. If the movie accomplishes that for them, they are more likely to think the film is better than it is. So moviegoers are overstating movie quality while critics are understating it.

• Like 1

J.law aficionados doing the most and more :lol:. What will you do if she eventually wins her second oscar :lol:

There are some pretty terrible individuals in Hollywood weird yall focus so much on her

Edited by XO21

I find the J-Law hate disturbing. Fair dos if you don't like her acting or her personality or whatever but the scathing hatred people have for her is completely warped. Some people need to find a healthier release for that shit.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol no. Even the characters in the movie eventually realize that what they did was a dumb idea in the first place.

And yet the person they are doing it too says that they were right for doing it.

Just now, ddddeeee said:

I find the J-Law hate disturbing. Fair dos if you don't like her acting or her personality or whatever but the scatching hatred people have for her is completely warped. Some people need to find a healthier release for that shit.

Same.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, XO21 said:

J.law aficionados doing the most and more :lol:. What will you do if she eventually wins her second oscar :lol:

There are some pretty terrible individuals in Hollywood weird yall focus so much on her

I don't recall anyone calling JLaw terrible. I also don't understand why you guys get offended when folks call JLaw out on her "I'm so relatable" act. Clearly we are making fun of her in a joking way and if the SNL skit is any indication then that just proves the point even further. JLaw is in a movie that's out this weekend. If she wasn't no one would be talking about her. 

If you truly hate JLaw then that says more about you than her. She's harmless to me personally but I still laugh when folks joke about her "personality." It doesn't mean I hate her. I don't even know her. 

Edited by Nova

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It amazes me how big the first two Hunger Games were, then how fast the series faded away 

Scott Mendelson has written about this, and the short (and scary) version is that what intrigued audiences in the story, was the arena-like killing of people, which changed after Catching Fire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. From the critics' perspective, they have been watching all of the Oscar bait films during this time of year in addition to the mainstream cineplex fare. Their palates become accustomed to a fine French wine and suddenly the studios serve up some Mad Dog. They overreact and grade the mainstream fare more harshly than usual.

The other reason relates to moviegoers. 2016 has been a brutal year for a lot of people and they are seeking to put the year (especially the election) behind them for a couple of hours while they watch a movie. If the movie accomplishes that for them, they are more likely to think the film is better than it is. So moviegoers are overstating movie quality while critics are understating it.

It's simple selection bias. A critic grades all the movies (or most of the movies); it's what the job entails. Meanwhile, moviegoers go to movies that interest them. Thus, audience scores will naturally come higher most of the time, since they chose to see films they believe they will like.