John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Poor Alicia Vikander. She should bail on Tomb Raider if she still has the chance. Abandon all hope.

It has Walton Goggins as the main villain. His performance alone is worth the admission ticket.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. But still, a big reason, if not the reason, video game movies fail is because they're two different mediums that tell their stories two different ways. Everyone wants a GTA movie, but condensing a GTA storyline into movie form wouldn't do it justice. Same with Call of Duty. Modern Warfare 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and it would make a bomb ass movie - if it was stretched out into maybe 4 films. And I wouldn't want 4 movies of that, I'd rather just play the game.

So if you're gonna make an Assassin's Creed movie, or any video game movie, what do you need to do? Simplify the story and make it it's own, rather than try to literally adapt the game for the screen and cram in every single plot point into 2 hours of film, which is what everyone does and why each of these movies fail. Uncharted would've been the same way. I'm not holding my breathe with Tomb Raider until I see otherwise. There's too much focus on making an "epic" rather than just making a good movie.

People are gonna go see AC for the 1400's asskicking action anyway, so even if the Source Code nonsense is in the game, you can easily cut it all out and give 110 minutes of Medieval Spanish parkour asskicking. Mold it for the screen and add in some new, more relatable elements to attract a bigger audience. It's not hard.

I actually think GTA could work well as a series of movies, the rest I agree with, but then again we kind of already have it with Fast and Furious.

Just now, Mattrek said:

So can we say that Passengers and Assassin's Creed are #notanevent? Too soon? :poke:

Assassin's Creed is most likely not even gonna make $60M in total and Passengers is likely to finish below $100M at this point, so probably not.

Well on the plus side, I got even more screeners the last few days, so I'm having my own holiday movie marathon trying to catch up on all of this. It's Hacksaw Ridge right now while I wrap X-mas presents (yay?), but I got sent La La Land today and Silence by Martin Scorsese. I admit I haven't even heard of it, I feel bad, but I am looking forward to seeing it. Despite not feeling the trailer at all and not feeling like it's my type of movie in many ways, I have hope La La Land could be a surprise I actually enjoy more than I think. Given I have extremely low expectations, it's possible. While I don't like musicals overall, I do love "industry movies" and La La Land is an industry movie. Plus, I do like / love a number of musicals including Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and even My Fair Lady is a good, well made movie despite not being a "Jonathan" movie. Plus my GF wants to see La La Land so why not, since it's here and it's free ha ha.

I agree though wow when I saw the schedule I thought, ok, Passengers sounds promising honestly. I want to see that. Two big stars. Assassins Creed trailers looked fun enough, I may still enjoy it, but yikes both movies are going to bomb compared to expectations. Next holiday season looks extremely crowded, I'm really glad Star Wars is sending a Tier 1 saga film against that slate rather than a spinoff. :P

• Like 3