DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Super Bowl weekend might be possible where the only openers are...Rings and The Space Between Us. lol.

Two dump titles that look like shit. La La Land has potential and do north of $20 million that weekend. Which would be well over $100 million by then.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think Affleck just needs a break, I suspect he's overworked himself in the last year with the promotions for BvS, filming Justice League, promoting The Accountant and editing and promoting Live by Night. I think he could handle the bad reviews for BvS and The Accountant since he's only one aspect of the process but something like Live by Night where he's director, actor and producer, the reviews must have hurt a lot more.

A year ago I doubt a single person would have predicted The Accountant would be his best movie released in the next twelve months, and by a wide margin too.batman_smiley.gif

• Like 4

Fantastic Beasts performance from BoxOfficeMojo, without factoring in this past weekend:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $229,871,325    28.7%
Foreign:  $571,700,000    71.3%

Worldwide:  $801,571,325  

No.8 WW for 2016 movies. A fantastic run, given that it's not a comic book movie, Star Wars film or animation with talking/singing animals, which have dominated these last years, it is not based on anything, nor is it too tied to the Harry Potter story, with minimum name dropping, fan service or story elements. All it had was Rowling's handprint all over, memorable characters (Kowalski and Queenie) and good will from the Harry Potter saga.

I am sure future films will tie closer to the main story and I for one am looking forward to that.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Xavier said:

Fantastic Beasts performance from BoxOfficeMojo, without factoring in this past weekend:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $229,871,325    28.7%
Foreign:  $571,700,000    71.3%

Worldwide:  $801,571,325  

No.8 WW for 2016 movies. A fantastic run, given that it's not a comic book movie, Star Wars film or animation with talking/singing animals, which have dominated these last years, it is not based on anything, nor is it too tied to the Harry Potter story, with minimum name dropping, fan service or story elements. All it had was Rowling's handprint all over, memorable characters (Kowalski and Queenie) and good will from the Harry Potter saga.

I am sure future films will tie closer to the main story and I for one am looking forward to that.

Glad to see FB break $800m, and agree with everything you say except for the Harry Potter tie. The WB marketing, at least in the USA, hammered us over the head with the notion that this was a Harry Potter movie, they even aired interviews with JK Rowling in which she endorsed that idea. At least in the USA, the HP tie was highlighted and it was sold to us that way. We can debate the degree to which specific movie elements like story, character crossover, etc. are actually tied to the HP stories (and since I just know the movies not the books I really can't say), but marketing-wise, WB created a very strong HP narrative about the film. And for my part I have little doubt that this HP marketing accounted for a significant chunk of overall interest in the film. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Glad to see FB break $800m, and agree with everything you say except for the Harry Potter tie. The WB marketing, at least in the USA, hammered us over the head with the notion that this was a Harry Potter movie, they even aired interviews with JK Rowling in which she endorsed that idea. At least in the USA, the HP tie was highlighted and it was sold to us that way. We can debate the degree to which specific movie elements like story, character crossover, etc. are actually tied to the HP stories (and since I just know the movies not the books I really can't say), but marketing-wise, WB created a very strong HP narrative about the film. And for my part I have little doubt that this HP marketing accounted for a significant chunk of overall interest in the film. 

Sorry If I haven't been clear, I meant that the movie itself, its story, lacked a kind of forced link to the Harry Potter story. The marketing is a whole other thing and I agree with you. Besides, they would be foolish not to remind people that the two stories take place in the same "world".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xavier said:

Fantastic Beasts nor is it too tied to the Harry Potter story, with minimum name dropping, fan service or story elements. 

Stop.

"From the Wizarding World of Harry Potter" was ALL over the marketing campaign.

The UK trailer literally had JK Rowling talking before it assuring people that this was in the same world.

I know you're saying that's not what you meant, but you're saying it's impressive as if it was an original film. But it is a franchise film.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 8