DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Directors filmography. All kiddie movies. 

Does 21 Jump Street qualify as a kiddie movie nowadays? Yikes.

It could be also that the guys are giant fans of the Han Solo character and Star wars in general, and have a great take on the subject matter. I mean, take a look at the Russo brothers' filmography before doing The Winter Soldier . Past filmography is almost irrelevant if you have a good handle on the material.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You may very well, great! But if that's true, maybe you have compiled over 20,000 posts complaining about how stupid liberal elites only like pretentious shit and "real" people hate stupid SJWS and their non-blockbuster movies, so pardon me for being confused. 

Also, I like MMA, and am skipping a movie this afternoon to watch the football game. Stop being a victim and generalizing. The whole anti-"snob", anti-intelligence bullcrap has gone too far. It's possible to love sports and also be able to enjoy a movie like Moonlight way more than Fantastic Sky Beam Hunt 3. 

I think you spent as many posts saying people who dont like such movies have some agenda. There are many award films that are not good but get buzz or attention due to politics and personally I dont like that, but that is my opinion to have and your right to disagree. 

Plus I am not saying people who like MMA and football are uncultured, someone rather recently famously said that, pretty much perpetuating that stereotype.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Directors filmography. All kiddie movies. 

You need to present me to the parents who took their kiddies to the Jump Street movies.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Yep. 21 and 22 Jump Street are kiddy movies

Lego Movie and Cloudy are. But I agree that 21 and 22 Jump aren't. Still, I expect emphasis on comedy cause Ehrenreich looks goofy as hell. Not at all manly man type like Ford.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Lego Movie and Cloudy are. But I agree that 21 and 22 Jump aren't. Still, I expect emphasis on comedy cause Ehrenreich looks goofy as hell. Not at all manly man type like Ford.

Those two movies are also extremely good. And he can always beef up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misafeco said:

No way it misses 100M. 90M after the 4-day weekend, 95M after next weekend. Sony will fudge the numbers if needed, they're not going to stop at 99M. They don't even need that if Passengers can hold that ~75% daily gross compared to TGWTDT.

Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10
Wed 0,78 1,08 72,35
Thu 0,71 1,00 70,57
Fri 1,53 1,94 78,68

Gross to date 85,90 83,12 103,35
Legs (5 day) 3,87 3,93 98,46
Final gross* 101,17 102,5158 98,68
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Actually this Friday increase is very good despite losing a bigger amount of theaters.

I really appreciate your keeping that chart up to date! It makes it a lot easier to visualize for me, since I don't have the numbers background many of you have here.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Who would've thought The Bye Bye Man would be the "success" story of this weekend's openers? The trailer got laughs every time I saw it over the holidays.

I was totally wrong about this one.  I don't watch horror movies currently, but it is more a matter of having eaten too much candy in a short period and being sick of it than that I don't appreciate the genre -- and I thought this trailer looked like absolute dreck.  I assumed it would get a bump for Friday the 13th, and I still think it will drop quickly, but it is obviously successful on the budget it had.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I will agree with you that I'm not sold on Ehrenreich. Then again, I wouldn't be sold on anyone trying to be Han Solo other than Ford. That being said, I'm sold on the movie itself and I wasn't before. Seeing Lucasfilm and Disney get Rogue One so right gives me the feeling that they could do something special with Han Solo as well. It's kind of like how Marvel's success earned my faith in seeing something like Ant-Man. In the past I wouldn't have bothered to see something like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Han Solo is obviously gonna be more of a comedy than your average SW film.

I'm honestly looking forward to that more I was to Rogue One.  I did like Rogue One a lot, but I want that Han Solo sense of humor,and the main story line (to me Han Solo is at least as much primary story line as young Darth Vadar) -- and just hope the new actor can deliver!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Two consecutive years with a Star Wars movie on top of the year-end list, absolutely amazing! 

Disney right now 

raw

and this year with Ep8

b384e6b4872e1ce0773b47d5c3ce4a19.gif

Pretty close to a lock for 3 years in a row with Ep. 8.

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm honestly looking forward to that more I was to Rogue One.  I did like Rogue One a lot, but I want that Han Solo sense of humor,and the main story line (to me Han Solo is at least as much primary story line as young Darth Vadar) -- and just hope the new actor can deliver!

I think they signed WH because he has good comedic skills from his years on Cheers. Should be a nice change of pace for the franchise.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I will agree with you that I'm not sold on Ehrenreich. Then again, I wouldn't be sold on anyone trying to be Han Solo other than Ford. That being said, I'm sold on the movie itself and I wasn't before. Seeing Lucasfilm and Disney get Rogue One so right gives me the feeling that they could do something special with Han Solo as well. It's kind of like how Marvel's success earned my faith in seeing something like Ant-Man. In the past I wouldn't have bothered to see something like that. 

I agree with @robertman2 that Jump Street movies are great. So Han Solo is going to be too but, damn, what do they see in Bubblehead (sorry, his head is huge, man, like E.T. big)? He's a great actor but so not Han. Glover has Lando down path, tho.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2