DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Desk Set is the English Title - it has elements of screwball comedies but it's much more leisurely paced.

Screwball Comedies - their hey day was in the 1930s  starting with the Great Depression and into the early 1940s  - Bringing Up Baby Arsenic & Old Lace, My Man Godfrey, The Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, The Lady Eve etc 

They're characterized by being faced paced usually to the point of farce, quick sparring dialogue, and they play with gender norms usually in a battle of the sexes and/or class conflict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwball_comedy_film

Thank you!

I often do not know neither the English film title nor the English genre name, too used to my language terms, I feel usually simply not sure enough to use the English terms.

But yes, the ones with 'quick sparring dialogue' (especially if written with some intelligence) and 'play with gender norms' = such kind of rom coms I usually can watch without throwing things at the screen or wanting to throw the TV out of the window (both not literally meant, I did then simply switch of, for the moment we still have no TV, all three of us watch on pc or notebook monitors..., but we might buy one again in summer or for next Christmas)

What I meant: people asking for rom coms in cinema:

I think the most of today are not done in a good way, too narrow in their tries to be funny, too stiff in a way, too .... and mostly not worth to drive to a cinema. 

Maybe better suited per TV-series? Is there even any not overly ... (I can not find the exact term, too stereo-typed, too focused on 'one version' of female ~ lifestyle / female interests / focus?)

Does that mean bad for cinema BO too?:

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

It seems appropriate that Monster Trucks would come out on Friday the 13th along with there being a full moon.

Horror per being horrible, the new Friday the 13th twist...

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Krissykins said:

Live By Night is a big flop, didn't it cost $70m (budget alone)?

Ouch for Sleepless (whatever it is) Patriots Day and Monster Trucks.

But yay for Hidden Figures, La La Land and Bye Bye Man. 

Sleepless is about 2 corrupt cops who take on the system when they get betrayed or something.

Just now, elcaballero said:

I don't think it will make much of a difference. 

Hide contents

The earlier game is the bigger one anyway. :ph34r:

I meant the weather that forces the change of the time of day (severe winter storm...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Disappointed by those early Monster Trucks numbers :(.  However, I'll remain optimistic since it is a kids movie, not something to judge matinees by.  Wait until the evening before I start dying on the inside :).

Speaking of which, I can't believe it.  In 2 hours I will be witnessing Monster Trucks.

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

trying to go to the bathroom as much as possible cause I don't wanna miss one second of chris wedge's masterpiece.

This is you right now:

200.gif#1

Edited by franfar
  • Like 6