DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

Disappointed by those early Monster Trucks numbers :(.  However, I'll remain optimistic since it is a kids movie, not something to judge matinees by.  Wait until the evening before I start dying on the inside :).

Speaking of which, I can't believe it.  In 2 hours I will be witnessing Monster Trucks.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Two questions about Monster Calls.

What's the ideal ages to watch it?

Your guess is as good as Focus Features! 

I wouldn't show a kid this if they were under 9 or 10. Some of it scared me and I'm an adult who read the book.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

The Bounty Hunter was crap, but I liked Movies like "The Proposal" or "What happened in Vegas". 

I never have seen a 'pure' rom com (without another genre strongly mixed in too) that I didn't hate. And I am female...

I gave up on those a long time ago. There are a few exceptions, usually if friends can convince me there is some very unusual elements / another genre /... in the mix too, then I might try again. 

And a few I didn't hate (but also didn't 'love') I am not sure how they are called, screwball/snowball something, like a certain old time Katharine Hepburn Spencer Tracy pic, those felt more real, natural, even if over-the-top a bit like that computer - information centre film (I think that was Desk Set, not sure about the English title).

I later learned they were a couple, so maybe it was based on that too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Disappointed by those early Monster Trucks numbers :(.  However, I'll remain optimistic since it is a kids movie, not something to judge matinees by.  Wait until the evening before I start dying on the inside :).

Speaking of which, I can't believe it.  In 2 hours I will be witnessing Monster Trucks.

Youre actually rooting for this abomination?! Lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I never have seen a 'pure' rom com (without another genre strongly mixed in too) that I didn't hate. And I am female...

I gave up on those a long time ago. There are a few exceptions, usually if friends can convince me there is some very unusual elements / another genre /... in the mix too, then I might try again. 

And a few I didn't hate (but also didn't 'love') I am not sure how they are called, screwball/snowball something, like a certain old time Katharine Hepburn Spencer Tracy pic, those felt more real, natural, even if over-the-top a bit like that computer - information centre film (I think that was Desk Set, not sure about the English title).

I later learned they were a couple, so maybe it was based on that too.

Desk Set is the English Title - it has elements of screwball comedies but it's much more leisurely paced.

Screwball Comedies - their hey day was in the 1930s  starting with the Great Depression and into the early 1940s  - Bringing Up Baby Arsenic & Old Lace, My Man Godfrey, The Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, The Lady Eve etc 

They're characterized by being fast paced, usually to the point of farce, quick sparring dialogue, and they play with gender norms usually in a battle of the sexes and/or class conflict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwball_comedy_film

Screwball comedy has proven to be one of the most popular and enduring film genres. It first gained prominence with It Happened One Night (1934),[2] which is often cited as being the first true screwball. Although many film scholars agree that its classic period had effectively ended by 1942,[3] elements of the genre have persisted or have been paid homage to in contemporary film.

During the Great Depression, there was a general demand for films with a strong social class critique and hopeful, escapist-oriented themes. The screwball format arose largely as a result of the major film studios' desire to avoid censorship by the increasingly enforced Hays Code. In order to incorporate prohibited risqué elements into their plots, filmmakers resorted to handling these elements covertly. Verbal sparring between the sexes served as a stand-in for physical, sexual tension.[4]

The screwball comedy has close links with the theatrical genre of farce,[citation needed] and some comic plays are also described as screwball comedies. Many elements of the screwball genre can be traced back to such stage plays as Lysistrata by Aristophanes, Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It and A Midsummer Night's Dream and Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. Other genres with which screwball comedy is associated include slapstick, situation comedy, romantic comedy and bedroom farce.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

yes, but that's deadline.

53 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Does Deadline hate math?!

That's one explanation.  All I know is they seem wrong a lot more than right with their early numbers.  I've only been watching this less than a year, though.

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It seems to be doing well in some overseas markets. If it's kid friendly, I would think it would do well. 

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1