DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

17 minutes ago, franfar said:

Low budget films can also make profit. Moonlight cost $5m and made $13m. I don't think they advertised the movie that much.

Moonlight and also La La Land are often sold to foreign distributors so the budget is recouped before the film is even released, Arrival I suspect has already made a profit from the presales from Paramount, eOne and others who bought the distribution rights 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franfar said:

For tentpoles, traditonal advertising works.

For low/mid budget films, those can do well if the movie is good and appealing

Tent pole films also have the advantage of having a wider and more lucrative range of advertising& product placement partners that an greatly defray costs. 

You can see that in itvspot's TV ad spend reports (on Variety) where mid range films actually spend as much or more than tent poles in TV advertising.    WB spent in about the same range to  advertise Live By Night as Fantastic Beasts.  Fox spent more on Hidden Figures than Disney did on Civil War, Moana or Dr Strange.

Then there are studios that own their own TV Network(s) where one subsidiary is paying another and also giving their studio a choice of prime spots.  Universal got a huge boost in 2015 promoting it's movies when the Superbowl was on CBS NBC.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Tent pole films also have the advantage of having a wider and more lucrative range of advertising& product placement partners that an greatly defray costs. 

You can see that in itvspot's TV ad spend reports (on Variety) where mid range films actually spend as much or more than tent poles in TV advertising.    WB spent in about the same range to  advertise Live By Night as Fantastic Beasts.  Fox spent more on Hidden Figures than Disney did on Civil War, Moana or Dr Strange.

Then there are studios that own their own TV Network(s) where one subsidiary is paying another and also giving their studio a choice of prime spots.  Universal got a huge boost in 2015 promoting it's movies when the Superbowl was on CBS.

Universal is owned by NBC's parent company, not CBS's

• Like 1

I think long-range trailers are the least important factor in a marketing campaign. They give you press for a couple days but people forget about them a week later. TV spots, billboards, product tie-ins and other public space advertisements are much more influential.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Guys, please go watch A Monster Calls.

What a beautiful, heartbreaking film. It should be doing so much more than it is at the box office. 

That's my Saturday plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Fantastic Beasts has officially crossed $800m WW! 

FUCK YES. 

With it already being at over 570m OS before the weekend (so 3.1m for Mon-Thu), I think 585m-ish is where it should end up. And around 815-820m WW. 

Just now, James said:

With it already being at over 570m OS before the weekend (so 3.1m for Mon-Thu), I think 585m-ish is where it should end up. And around 815-820m WW. 

There's no way it's doing another $15m OS. 

Tie-ins are very effective for marketing. For me, they wet my appetite while at the same time make me hungrier for the movie. That's why the idea of cinematic universes is so genius. It's not just about the movies and box office potential. It opens the door for other ways to market the movies while seeing returns on the marketing investment as well. For instance, if I buy a novel or tie in comic, I'm being sold on the movie and giving more money in the process.

This is where Lucasfilm's Star Wars universe has got Marvel beat, in my opinion. There are SO many options for indulging in this grand story outside of the movies. Marvel - even though they're hugely successful - just has the films and one tie-in comic per film.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

I guess this will be one of the rare weekends, when women rule the BO.
Hidden Figures and La La Land look like a great double punch.

And that's the point, where, again, I have to ask: What happened to Rom-Coms? 
I rather watch an average RomCom than some average Action Flick.

• Like 1