DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

5 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

2017 isn't off to a great start, but Lego Batman/Fifty Shades Darker should bring back some business for February, as well as Fist Fight and Get Out. 

Get Out isn't going to do much. But I could honestly see Fist Fight pulling a Ride Along.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I think long-range trailers are the least important factor in a marketing campaign. They give you press for a couple days but people forget about them a week later. TV spots, billboards, product tie-ins and other public space advertisements are much more influential.

Yeah, they may not seem effective to us (as we practically have when every movie is coming out memorized), but the GA isn't as aware.  They may learn a date for a big movie they want to see, but overall they find out when movies are coming out when they see it on TV.  

I think classical marketing campaigns are much more effective than we give credit for.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I guess this will be one of the rare weekends, when women rule the BO.
Hidden Figures and La La Land look like a great double punch.

And that's the point, where, again, I have to ask: What happened to Rom-Coms? 
I rather watch an average RomCom than some average Action Flick.

When you say rom com I hope you don't mean crappy Gerard Butler or Jennifer Aniston vehicles, because I'm glad those have died out.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/fantastic-beasts-worldwide-box-office-2-1201960085/

SO proud of my bb.

800 WW was about as best case scenario as you could hope for and as we've all discussed the domestic multiplier was truly something great.  Excited to see if they really play up the Dumbledore connection for part two, which if done successfully could surely make a play for 250.

• Like 3

2ND UPDATE, 12 Noon: Midday matinees are in and judging off of them, 20th Century Fox’s Hidden Figures is poised to take its second No. 1 win over the MLK weekend four-day with $25M from 3,286 theaters, 815 more sites than last weekend. Friday for the Ted Melfi-directed title is expected to wind up at an estimated $6M,

Everything in spots 2 through 5 is looking tight, and I’m told that if there’s a case of a four card monte shuffle, it’s here. With $4M today, Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is currently projected in second with $17M over FSSM with the pic crossing the five-century mark on Monday with $502M+.

Patriots Day .... at $4.5M today with an estimated $16M over four-days. ....

La La Land .... $14M at 1,848 sites after a $3.2M Friday. Total cume by Monday will be at $73.6M.

The Bye Bye Man looks to be benefiting off its Friday the 13th opening date with a projected 4-day of $13.5M off a $7.4M production budget. .

Paramount’s having a lousy weekend with the $125M budgeted Monster Trucks set to go off the road with $2M today and $9.8M for FSSM while 

Silence goes wide at 750 sites with a paltry projected $2.3M over four; ....

Live by Night .... track for $2.5M and a $8.8M four-day weekend.

Sleepless from Open Road is asleep with $2.5M today and an estimated $8M for the weekend.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/patriots-day-sleepless-bye-bye-man-live-by-night-rogue-one-mlk-box-office-1201885490/

@That One Guy

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 9

Midday matinees are in and judging off of them, 20th Century Fox’s Hidden Figures is poised to take its second No. 1 win over the MLK weekend four-day with $24M-$25M from 3,286 theaters, 815 more sites than last weekend. Friday for the Ted Melfi-directed title is expected to wind up at an estimated $6M.

Everything in spots 2 through 5 is looking tight, and I’m told that if there’s a case of a four card monte shuffle, it’s here. With $4M today, Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is currently projected in second with $17M over FSSM with the pic crossing the five-century mark on Monday with $502M+. CBS/Lionsgate’s Patriots Day about the Boston Marathon bombing is looking at $4.5M today with an estimated $16M over four-days. Though ranking right behind, Lionsgate’s La La Land propelled by a huge amount of awards season traction, will see its largest weekend haul to date in its sixth frame with $14M at 1,848 sites after a $3.2M Friday.

More:

http://deadline.com/2017/01/patriots-day-sleepless-bye-bye-man-live-by-night-rogue-one-mlk-box-office-1201885490/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, franfar said:

This is to all the people worrying that torrenting is hurting the industry. It's doing fine.

Torrenting hasn't hurt box office as much as it hurt DVD/Blu-Ray sales before streaming became prominent.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

When you say rom com I hope you don't mean crappy Gerard Butler or Jennifer Aniston vehicles, because I'm glad those have died out.

The Bounty Hunter was crap, but I liked Movies like "The Proposal" or "What happened in Vegas". 

• Like 2