Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Sorry been paying very little attention this year, anyway my predictions:

Call me by your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk
Get Out (though I'm only predicting it in picture, actor and director, which might seem odd)

Ladybird

The Post

Shade of Water

Three Billboards

If there are 9-maybe The Phantom Thread.

On 4/19/2017 at 4:28 PM, That One Guy said:

I suppose if we're predicting, then...

PTA flick

Get Out

Suburbicon

Call Me by Your Name

The Post

Disaster Artist

Blade Runner 2049

Detroit

Mother!
The Current War

4/9.  not bad for an April prediction (although Suburbicon, mother!, and Current War are embarrassing in retrospect)

On 1/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, CoolioD1 said:

calling moonlight blandly directed makes noooo sense to me.

but just to get my thought it on this i'm not a fan of this new recent trend. it's like the directing version of hammy overacting always getting oscars OMMMMG IT WAS ALL DONE IN ONE TAKE is what gets directing oscars now. whatever.

I’m fine with BP/Director splits, but it’s a shame they won’t consider Gerwig or Peele.  In Gerwig’s case, I’d put her above Del Torro or Nolan, despite her movie not being as showy.

Peele and Nolan are pretty close IMO. I give the edge to Nolan simply because of how fucking massive Dunkirk is, but a lot of Get Out relies on hints and flourishes that don't become apparent until rewatches. Gerwig shouldn't be anywhere near this lineup tho (cue the MRA jokes)

Irrelevant discussion anyways because PTA is the best here

Edited by WrathOfHan

Gerwig is #2 on my ballot, just behind Nolan. As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, there's so, so, so much happening in her directing all at once: getting great performances from the entire ensemble; striking a self-reflective feel without coming across as navel-gazing; making sure that each scene advances important character arcs in the absence of a more traditional plot; highlighting crucial and complex emotions without going over-the-top or straining credulity; making the titular protagonist's observations feel profound but not pretentious (just observe how well Ronan nails 

Spoiler

"Did you get emotional the first time you drove through Sacramento?"

- a line that totally could have sounded awful with improper direction); weave in ideas about gender roles and social class without allowing them to hijack the narrative; make a self-centered protagonist sympathetic (some of this fell to Ronan as well, but the director's framing of characters still matters in terms of how the audience perceives them); and translate her individual experience as a teenager in the early-2000s to something more universal. The fact that I can't imagine anyone else directing this movie and getting the same result is a testament to how well she aces it.

• Like 6

Pretty much love all the nominees for BD this year. They did really well on that category. Nolan is number one for me as well, but I'm totally fine with any of them winning. If McDonagh had made it he'd be a distant #5, but he's not on it! Yay!

I have no certainty about Best Picture.

Shape of Water missed a SAG ensemble nod

Get Out missed a BAFTA BP nod and has only won WGA (although same with Moonlight, right?)

Three Billboards missed a directors nod (and isn't sweeping to make up for it)

All three of those should be strikes out, but obviously nothing has hit all of the ticks this year.  One of those trends is taking a sinker.

I think a preferential ballot favors Get Out or Shape of Water.

• Like 1

Just now, The Mad Panda said:

I have no certainty about Best Picture.

Shape of Water missed a SAG ensemble nod

Get Out missed a BAFTA BP nod and has only won WGA (although same with Moonlight, right?)

Three Billboards missed a directors nod (and isn't sweeping to make up for it)

All three of those should be strikes out, but obviously nothing has hit all of the ticks this year.  One of those trends is taking a sinker.

Shape of Water took PGA and DGA as well. Either way, a stat or two is most definitely falling this year.

Here is why 3B is winning :

You miss SAG you out ( except for the category's first year but come on that was it's first year )

you miss BAFTA you out ( in the past 25 years that I checked the movies that missed were ineligible due to release date issues ) 

you don't win anything big you out ( looking at lady bird which went from front runner to anything would be nice atm , also Get Out only won WGA where 3B was not eligible so that doesn't say much about the competition ) 

or 3B loses because numbers mean nothing 

5 hours ago, The Mad Panda said:

You forgot about, why Get Out won WGA (Martin McDonagh isn't member of writer's guild and Three Billboards didn't have the nominations). 

So favors is: Three Billboards and Guillermo

Edited by KeepItU25071906

On 19/01/2018 at 8:27 AM, AndyK said:

Looking at the Rotten tomatoes top 100 movies of all time, according to their statistically adjusted critics review score, the top 5 movies of 2017 are.....

1 - Get Out

2-  Dunkirk

3- The Big Sick

4- Wonder Woman

5- Ladybird

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

Yeah but we know this list is bullshit and clearly some programming error as Wonder woman had a lower average rating than 2 other comic book movies released this year.

2 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

You forgot about, why Get Out won WGA (Martin McDonagh isn't member of writer's guild and Three Billboards didn't have the nominations). 

So favors is: Three Billboards and Guillermo

Not necessarily true, I think Get Out would have won either way.

6 hours ago, BardCrank said:

Here is why 3B is winning :

You miss SAG you out ( except for the category's first year but come on that was it's first year )

you miss BAFTA you out ( in the past 25 years that I checked the movies that missed were ineligible due to release date issues ) 

you don't win anything big you out ( looking at lady bird which went from front runner to anything would be nice atm , also Get Out only won WGA where 3B was not eligible so that doesn't say much about the competition ) 

or 3B loses because numbers mean nothing 

And if you miss a Best Director nomination (like Three Billboards did), you're out too. And this isn't a Ben Affleck situation where people felt sorry that he missed to the point that Argo became the frontrunner.

As I said, some stats are about to fall either way.