Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Why is everyone mentioning The Shape of Water in their predictions? Del Toro has never been that big with the Academy, and there is already a stronger horror/fantasy/sci-fi contender in Get Out.

By the way, do you all think that any blockbuster has still any chances?: Wonder Woman/Logan/Baby Driver/War of the Planet of the Apes

1 hour ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Why is everyone mentioning The Shape of Water in their predictions? Del Toro has never been that big with the Academy, and there is already a stronger horror/fantasy/sci-fi contender in Get Out.

By the way, do you all think that any blockbuster has still any chances?: Wonder Woman/Logan/Baby Driver/War of the Planet of the Apes

Re Shape of Water: It's likely going to be Searchlight's main push, and the Academy like Pan's Labyrinth quite a bit. 

Blockbusters: Nope.

Logan and Wonder Woman both have a decent chance.  A lot of it depends on if there are more blockbusters that play really well coming up (IT, Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars: The Last Jedi), it'll also depend on how the big on paper contenders actually play for critics.  Everything is obviously still up in the air, the field probably looks like

Known Major Contenders

Dunkirk

Get Out

Call Me By Your Name

The Florida Project

On Paper Major Contenders

The Papers

The Darkest Hour

Last Flag Flying

The Shape of Water

Phantom Thread

Battle of the Sexes

Suburbicon

Possible Contenders

Downsizing

mother!

Roman Israel, Esq

Wonder Woman

Logan

Mudbound

The Disaster Artist

Blade Runner 2049

Molly's Game

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

You Were Never Really Here

The Big Sick

Off-Chance Contenders (Picture nom chance is a longshot but possible, but a decent/strong chance at competing for various other categories)

IT

Detroit

The Greatest Showman

The Current War

Goodbye Christopher Robin

Murder on the Orient Express

All the Money in the World

Victoria and Abdul

The Mountain Between Us

Wonder Wheel

Wonder

Marshall

Wonderstruck

Stronger

Coco 

Lean On Pete

Breathe

Beauty and the Beast

The Beguiled

Okja

Wind River

Novitiate

The Snowman

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

Baby Driver

Edited by El Panda Machos
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@El Panda Machos in what universe does WW and Logan have a better chance at a nomination than Detroit? Even your "longshots" like Wonder Wheel and Breathe are far ahead of those two.

I disagree. WB is pushing WW and Fox is pushing Logan.  I think there's a good chance one or the other could get in (probably not both).  They have the right acclaim behind them to be "reputable" comic book nominees.

Im iffy because the academy hasn't nominated a comic book movie before.  However, there's a big push these last few years for the academy to be more diverse and young with its options (including expanding the memberbase).  Hell, Deadpool was on the cusp of getting in last year given that it had a PGA, WGA, Editors Guild, etc. and it was way out of the academy's wheelhouse (much more than WW or Logan).

TFA was another big franchise blockbuster that nearly made it, and Fury Road actually did it (but that one was more niche and acclaimed so it worked).

I won't be surprised if they both miss, but I won't be shocked if one or the other makes it in (especially if a lot of the on paper nominees fall flat, which happens all the time).  

Nothing's locked or near locked yet, there's way to many variables this early.

Also, Detroit's good but it's critical reception has been pretty divisive, and it's gotten some flack from civil rights think pieces.  It also bombed, it's pretty much looking like another Steve Jobs.

Edited by El Panda Machos

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Re Shape of Water: It's likely going to be Searchlight's main push, and the Academy like Pan's Labyrinth quite a bit. 

Blockbusters: Nope.

Well, it's actually a very odd choice for Searchlight to have it as their main push, I mean the Academy liked Pan's Labryinth, but it didn't even get a nomination in any of the main categories, and besides, Del Toro is not a consistent good director, so I wouldn't bet on him to have a BP nom.

Edited by Safeno Rdz

5 hours ago, El Panda Machos said:

Logan and Wonder Woman both have a decent chance.  A lot of it depends on if there are more blockbusters that play really well coming up (IT, Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars: The Last Jedi), it'll also depend on how the big on paper contenders actually play for critics.  Everything is obviously still up in the air, the field probably looks like

Known Major Contenders

Dunkirk

Get Out

Call Me By Your Name

The Florida Project

On Paper Major Contenders

The Papers

The Darkest Hour

Last Flag Flying

The Shape of Water

Phantom Thread

Battle of the Sexes

Suburbicon

Possible Contenders

Downsizing

mother!

Roman Israel, Esq

Wonder Woman

Logan

Mudbound

The Disaster Artist

Blade Runner 2049

Molly's Game

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

You Were Never Really Here

The Big Sick

Off-Chance Contenders (Picture nom chance is a longshot but possible, but a decent/strong chance at competing for various other categories)

IT

Detroit

The Greatest Showman

The Current War

Goodbye Christopher Robin

Murder on the Orient Express

All the Money in the World

Victoria and Abdul

The Mountain Between Us

Wonder Wheel

Wonder

Marshall

Wonderstruck

Stronger

Coco 

Lean On Pete

Breathe

Beauty and the Beast

The Beguiled

Okja

Wind River

Novitiate

The Snowman

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

Baby Driver

I would move "Get out" to possible, because as good as the reviews are, it would be the first time in almost 20 years to have a horror film in competition, besides, the release date doesn't help it very much, I would say "The Papers" has much better chances than this or than "Florida Project" tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Well, it's actually a very odd choice for Searchlight to have it as their main push, I mean the Academy liked Pan's Labryinth, but it didn't even get a nomination in any of the main categories, and besides, Del Toro is not a consistent good director.

Pan's got nominated in Original Screenplay.

6 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

I forgot about that, but yet, even if it won a couple of tech categories, it failed to win Screenplay or Foreign language film (which everyone had as a safe bet that year)

Still 6 nomination for a foreign language movie is really rare in modern time and he was never snubbed yet, nothing else he did was of oscar caliber he is probably still loved in many guild branch.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

I forgot about that, but yet, even if it won a couple of tech categories, it failed to win Screenplay or Foreign language film (which everyone had as a safe bet that year)

Keep in mind only the foreign branch was voting on the category back then; if it was open to everyone like it is now, Pan's would have easily won.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Still 6 nomination for a foreign language movie is really rare in modern time and he was never snubbed yet, nothing else he did was of oscar caliber he is probably still loved in many guild branch.

He hasn't been snubbed because he hasn't released any other worthy film besides Pan's labryinth (Which is one of my favorites ever btw), maybe Pacific rim could've used a nom for Special effects, but that's it. I remember a couple year ago, Crimson's peak , I think it will be the same for this one, altought I have to admit that the trailer does look promising, but so was Crimson's peak's, which was rumored to be a strong contender and we all know how that went a couple years ago, probably the same thing will happen with this one.

Edited by Safeno Rdz

I'm now starting to buy into the Get Out hype and feel that it's moving closer and closer to "locked" territory for a Best Picture nom. It feels like the AMPAS has been gravitating more towards films tackling topical issues for the last few years and being one of the bigger success stories of the year (both with critics and at the box office) will give it the extra push on top of the current tensions unfolding in the country.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm now starting to buy into the Get Out hype and feel that it's moving closer and closer to "locked" territory for a Best Picture nom. It feels like the AMPAS has been gravitating more towards films tackling topical issues for the last few years and being one of the bigger success stories of the year (both with critics and at the box office) will give it the extra push on top of the current tensions unfolding in the country.

Yeah, also since the 5% rule was introduced the films have gravitated towards critical hit and "edgier" choices.  Typical Oscar bait choices have failed with a few exceptions.

• Like 1