Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

24 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'll share my two cents about films from the list above.

I'm rooting for Battle of the Sexes, even if it is releasing a little early. Just because I uses to play tennis and my dad was playing tennis too. It just might be a Globe player at the very least!

Also, I'm not counting out The Darkest Hour from having an impact, no matter how baity it seems. It could be this year's Imitation Game.

I feel bad for Scott Cooper's Hostiles because there are two relatively similar films this year: Wind River and The Lost City of Z. That'll dampen its luster a little.

Lady Bird by Greta Gerwig would be cool to see emerge, although it's chance is slim to say the least.

Likewise, Lean on Pete is one that would be cool to see emerge!

Loving Vincent seems like it could manage an animation nomination.

The Rider won a Cannes award and... even if it's a small one with an unknown director, it just might push through. I hope it does!

And Wonderstruck is one that I hope gets better reviews than it did at Cannes... (though I really am not surprised they thumbs-downed something like Wonderstruck).

Lean on Pete is releasing in 2018.

4 hours ago, Tauren Warlock said:

The Shape of Water is turning out to be a strong contender after it premiered at the Venice international film festival. Dunkirk has some major competition now, but the subject matter may put TSOW at a disadvantage.

Best Director is a race between Nolan and del Toro at the moment IMO (and I'm having a hard time seeing anyone else whose film hasn't been seen yet breaking through, including Spielberg). The latter will likely have some very vocal champions (namely, long-time friends and Oscar winners Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu) in his corner too.

15 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lean on Pete is getting decent reviews, but some are calling it too slow and arthouse. It's easy to see why A24 moved it to the spring

Probably for the best, I'm guessing their main focus is The Florida project now, or is it Lady Bird?

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Probably for the best, I'm guessing their main focus is The Florida project now, or is it Lady Bird?

There haven't been many reviews out yet, but Lady Bird, at least to me, feels like a frontrunner. The storyline sounds less esoteric and more conventional than Florida, aka more accessible to voters, and A24 successfully launched Room and Moonlight with a Telluride premiere. Though DaFoe will definitely get into the Supporting Actor. Not as confident with Ronan, but she's not out for the count.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

Not in any order:

1. The Post
  2. Get Out
  3. Call Me by Your Name
  4. War for the Planet of the Apes
  5. Lady Bird
  6. The Darkest Hour
  7. Dunkirk
  8. The Shape of Water
  9. Phantom Thread
  10. Roman J. Israel, Esq

I loved Apes but it has as much of a chance at a Best Picture nomination as Spider-Man: Homecoming. Come on, man.

Just now, filmlover said:

I loved Apes but it has as much of a chance at a Best Picture nomination as Spider-Man: Homecoming. Come on, man.

Fox is campaigning for it pretty hard apparently, and the field is looking pretty weak right now (Downsizing and Suburbicon probably won't make it, mother! sounds very Academy-unfriendly, Current War is apparently a mess, etc.).  Maybe Blade Runner 2049 could get in instead of that but WB will probably be focusing their "nominate this blockbuster!" campaign on Dunkirk over that.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2017/08/oscars-fox-best-picture-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-1202158378/

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good for them. It's still not getting a Best Picture nomination (or anything else other than a Visual Effects nom).

Then what else could replace it if there are 10 noms?  I can't see anything else really.  It's in a low ranking in how likely it is (it's not my 4th pick to be nommed) but there's only a few other possible contenders and I think Apes will do better than all of them if Fox is campaigning for it "like no campaign ever before."

We still have a lot of films that need to be screened, but these are my predictions right now:

1. The Shape of Water

2. Dunkirk

3. Call Me by Your Name

4. The Post

5. Darkest Hour

6. Last Flag Flying

7. Get Out

8. Wonder Wheel

9. Lady Bird

10. mother!

11. Downsizing

12. The Florida Project

13. Breathe

14. Roman J. Israel, Esq.

15. Detroit

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if mother! still managed a nomination if enough people are passionate about it. Without knowing what's in the third act, I think people are being a bit hyperbolic. Surely it can't be THAT bad.

Also, I feel like Get Out is kind of weakening as more stuff premieres.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Without knowing what's in the third act, I think people are being a bit hyperbolic. Surely it can't be THAT bad.

Putting this in a shit ton of spoiler tags:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I doubt the Academy will give a pass to a film that involves cannibalism of a newborn baby after they snap its neck.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Also, I feel like Get Out is kind of weakening as more stuff premieres.

That was always a given considering how genre-y it is. We'll have to wait and see if the critics awards come to bat for it near the end of the year (if they don't then RIP Get Out's Oscar chances).

Right now I'm predicting mother! in Picture (though Downsizing would've had that spot if the latest reactions weren't more mixed), Actress, Supporting Actress, Production Design, and Cinematography ( MAYBE Score once we hear/know about it). I can totally see it missing out on the techs, but Supporting Actress is fairly weak and JLaw is getting career best notices for doing something out of her wheelhouse. The acting branch should at least acknowledge those two. Hell, I could also see Aronofsky in Director without a BP nomination.

Edited by WrathOfHan