Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Dunkirk isn't a blockbuster in the typical sense 

Giant budget, giant release, giant director, giant box office..........

That is the typical blockbuster of the 100 last year's of Hollywood on every aspect I would say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Blade Runner 2049

Call Me by Your Name

The Darkest Hour

Downsizing

Dunkirk

Get Out

mother!

The Papers

Phantom Thread

The Shape of Water

Nice predictions! Altough I think that 5 fantasy/sci-fi/horror films maybe too much for the Academy, don't you think?

19 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Nice predictions! Altough I think that 5 fantasy/sci-fi/horror films maybe too much for the Academy, don't you think?

I know for sure they won't have ten nominations this year. If I had to take one or two out, it would probably be Blade Runner or Shape of Water

20 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Awards Watch has started a smear campaign against The Shape of Water. They say it plagiarized a YT short and are hoping that the backlash will become a thing. :wtf:

Edited by Valonqar

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Awards Watch has started a smear campaign against The Shape of Water. They say it plagiarized a YT short and are hoping that the backlash will become a thing. :wtf:

:kitschjob:

Is there any validity to their case?

2 hours ago, slambros said:

:kitschjob:

Is there any validity to their case?

I don't know. They posted the short and compared it to the trailer not to the movie. The site boss/editor/whatever who started it says that he wants to be ahead of the curve in case the controversy becomes a thing. Here's the article:

http://awardswatch.com/2017/08/18/is-the-shape-of-water-cribbed-directly-from-the-short-film-the-space-between-us/

59 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't know. They posted the short and compared it to the trailer not to the movie. The site boss/editor/whatever who started it says that he wants to be ahead of the curve in case the controversy becomes a thing. Here's the article:

http://awardswatch.com/2017/08/18/is-the-shape-of-water-cribbed-directly-from-the-short-film-the-space-between-us/

I think that the short film and Toro' s film seem pretty different. They're a little similar, yes, but I don't think this is plagiarism if Toro has had his idea since before Pacific Rim.

However, people these days believe what they want to believe without looking further into it. Do I want them to raise their pitchforks? No. Might they? Unfortunately, it's pretty likely.

5 hours ago, slambros said:

I think that the short film and Toro' s film seem pretty different. They're a little similar, yes, but I don't think this is plagiarism if Toro has had his idea since before Pacific Rim.

However, people these days believe what they want to believe without looking further into it. Do I want them to raise their pitchforks? No. Might they? Unfortunately, it's pretty likely.

Especially if sinking one movie props another. Or sinking one actor/director/etc props another. :sadben:

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Especially if sinking one movie props another. Or sinking one actor/director/etc props another. :sadben:

Yeah, someone obsessed trying to secure a place for Wonder Woman or Logan in the fold will attempt to did this, probably.

:sadben: indeed.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

After seeing the movie, I'm surprised Jeremy Renner's not getting more Oscar buzz for his work. He would be just as worthy of a nom as Jeff Bridges in Hell or High Water last year, even though the latter is obviously much more of a career legend.

Would it be supporting ? Because lead actor is a really thought and competitive category usually (and harder to have some oscar buzz for it). Fox/Patrick Stewart started is campaign for best supporting in Logan for example, I doubt Jackman have much expectation in comparison.

Edited by Barnack