3. McDormand

4. Ronan

5. Winslet

6. Chastain

7. Stone

8. Lawrence

9. Dench

10. Robbie

All 10 will probably get Globe nominations because half are dramas and half are comedies, so that will tell us basically nothing :ohmygod: 

Just those top 6, really. Even as loved she is, Victoria & Abdul is gonna prove too minor for Dench to get in such a packed race. Lawrence also isn't happening for a film that sounds like it'll be quite divisive (and will likely die a quick death after opening weekend). Stone has the afterglow nom thing for her, but she's gonna carry all of the weight of her movie (which will be a nonfactor in every other category). Waiting to see who gets I, Tonya before predicting Robbie's chances but yeah, that top 6 is looking very strong.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Even I, Tonya, which was rumored for a long time to be bad, is getting terrific notices. Seems like a lock for Globe Comedy nod, and Robbie/Janney are contenders. This season is starting to get loaded. Outside of Suburbicon and Wonderstruck, everything is staying within shouting distance - and the early part of the year already has contenders.

Do not always believe rumors. I am happy this is giving raves at TiFF.

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just going to assume anything released or premiered earlier in the year save for Dunkirk and CMBYN is at a disadvantage in the bigger categories.

The Big Sick: The only reason people were predicting Holly Hunter was because of how weak Supporting Actress appeared. She stands very little chance now, and Original Screenplay will be tough to crack.

Detroit: A damn shame this is going to be ignored. Annapurna might be getting Hostiles, so they have no reason to campaign for a film that was a box office bomb.

Get Out: I was already losing confidence in its BP chances at the start of the festivals, and now with new contenders emerging, I highly doubt it'll get into Picture anymore. It won't even hold the title of the biggest horror film in years :lol: Original Screenplay should still happen.

Florida Project: This already had shaky Oscar projects, but A24 has a clear push with Lady Bird. If Dafoe wasn't getting career best notices, I'd have him out of my predictions.

Mudbound: Sorry Clay, but this never had a chance with Netflix involved. I don't even think they'll advertise this a whole lot like 95% of their original shit.

Novitiate: Supporting Actress changed a lot over the past couple weeks. Melissa Leo was always going to be a sole nominee for the film, but can it sustain momentum?

Lmao.

After thinking it over for a minute, I think that the Golden Globes are more willing to put performances from films running for the comedy award into the supporting acting categories because, if they compile five nominations for both drama and comedy, then they truly are aware of the films on both spectrums. I still think The Big Sick has a great chance at a Best Comedy nomination (and so might Girls Trip, but that's beside the point), and that could make Holly Hunter more likely at the Globes than the Oscars.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:43 AM, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just going to assume anything released or premiered earlier in the year save for Dunkirk and CMBYN is at a disadvantage in the bigger categories.

The Big Sick: The only reason people were predicting Holly Hunter was because of how weak Supporting Actress appeared. She stands very little chance now, and Original Screenplay will be tough to crack.

Detroit: A damn shame this is going to be ignored. Annapurna might be getting Hostiles, so they have no reason to campaign for a film that was a box office bomb.

Get Out: I was already losing confidence in its BP chances at the start of the festivals, and now with new contenders emerging, I highly doubt it'll get into Picture anymore. It won't even hold the title of the biggest horror film in years :lol: Original Screenplay should still happen.

Florida Project: This already had shaky Oscar projects, but A24 has a clear push with Lady Bird. If Dafoe wasn't getting career best notices, I'd have him out of my predictions.

Mudbound: Sorry Clay, but this never had a chance with Netflix involved. I don't even think they'll advertise this a whole lot like 95% of their original shit.

Novitiate: Supporting Actress changed a lot over the past couple weeks. Melissa Leo was always going to be a sole nominee for the film, but can it sustain momentum?

From this list, only Get Out was meant to be a real player. And it still is a major contender to be nommed. A couple of raves during first festival doesn't change anything.

Real contenders already seen

Dunkirk (raves+BO+WW2)

Get Out (raves+BO+diversity)

Call Me By Your Name (raves+AMPAS friendly theme)

Shape of Water (raves+Venice+prestige names involved)

The rest of movies are in another league due to not being shown or without a staying proven hype.

Mother! can be a contender due to #1 votes. It needs a solid BO, though

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Roman J. Israel, Esq.'s reception from TIFF is lukewarm. Looks like a lone Denzel nom at best.

Breathe is getting a tepid reception too. Not that I ever expected much from it after the mawkish trailer landed.

Yeah, Roman Israel is going nowhere. Sony might be lucky to get it wide between Thanksgiving and Star Wars, but I'm not holding my breath.

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think you can pretty much lock oldman down for best actor at this point. can't see anybody competing except maaaaaybe ddl but i've already expressed my doubts about that project awards wise this year.

Too early! Oldman performance still unseen. Darkest Hour could be disappointing, BO wise or critics wise. Remember when everyone thought that DDL would win BA with Gangs of NY?

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Too early! Oldman performance still unseen. Darkest Hour could be disappointing, BO wise or critics wise. Remember when everyone thought that DDL would win BA with Gangs of NY?

2002 was kind of a bloodbath between him, Nicholson, Cage and Brody. This year looks comparatively barren, for now. 

• Like 1