Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Just now, spaghetti! said:

Is ATMITW even coming out this year? Seems like a very fast turnaround.

Spacey only shot 8-10 days worth of scenes, and I'm sure with Plummer they'll move even faster. If they shoot in less than a week they could easily get it out by the end of December.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 11:36 AM, slambros said:

If The Post isn't that good of a film, Meryl Streep will probably miss out, and both Margot and Saoirse will get in- at least that's what I think.

Have you seen INTO THE WOODS and AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY? Streep is in even if the film is blah.

• Like 3

I would not yet call Streep a lock, but I have a hard time seeing her miss for a baity, timely Spielberg film, especially if she speaks out about either Trump or Weinstein along the campaign trail (which would be an easy fit with the subject matter of the film itself). Even though last year's Florence Foster Jenkins performance was baity enough on its own, I still think Streep's measured critiques of the impending Trump presidency were the X-factor that allowed her to nab that Best Actress slot over Amy Adams.

• Like 2

A part of me is secretly wishing that all televised awards shows will be cancelled this year and they'll just announce the winners in a press conference ala the Golden Globes in '08 when the strike was going on to avoid the awkwardness of it all, especially when there appears to be no end in sight.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

There's no possible way Casey Affleck can be presenting Best Actress this year, tradition be damned. Right?

There's a petition that went around the other week asking for him not to, but it's hard to ban him without looking like a witch hunt when there's been nothing added to his previous allegations (back from well before last year's Oscar season). If something about him drops between now and then, though...

Why there is nobody talking about Paddington 2? I know it's a family movie and oscar only pick prestige movies. But the movie is one of the most critical acclaim of the year, 100% and 9.1 average score on rotten tomatoes and it has potential to be a box office hit.

I saw the movie and it was one of the greatest family movie of all time, it deserve some recognition. Or is it because the January release in NA?

1 hour ago, Ridhoazka18 said:

Why there is nobody talking about Paddington 2? I know it's a family movie and oscar only pick prestige movies. But the movie is one of the most critical acclaim of the year, 100% and 9.1 average score on rotten tomatoes and it has potential to be a box office hit.

I saw the movie and it was one of the greatest family movie of all time, it deserve some recognition. Or is it because the January release in NA?

For me, it's the January release. That, and the companies behind it have yet to official initiate any sort of campaign for it. Staying quiet make sense, though- if they were to become too loud campaigning this, the witch-hunters on social media would put their thumbs down when they realize it's a 'Weinstein film'; then, awards recognition wouldn't be the only thing affected- box office opportunity would be squandered. I want this film to succeed, and in this tense atmosphere, it might be best to skip awards talks altogether.

10 hours ago, Ridhoazka18 said:

It's because Inside Out got snubbed a couple years ago. It killed much of the post-WALL-E passion there had been among the film buff community for animated/family movies to get nominated. 

And while I'm sure Paddington 2 is wonderful, I'm not sure I'd like the apparent precedent that would be set if it did get nominated that it has to be live action and/or British to appeal to them.

Updated for Pre-Critics Circle

Best Picture

The Big Sick

Call Me By Your Name

Dunkirk

The Florida Project

Get Out

Lady Bird

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

Alts: Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread, The Disaster Artist, Mudbound, Blade Runner 2049

Best Director

Matin McDonagh, Three Bilboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

Jordan Peele, Get Out

Guillermo Del Torro, The Shape of Water

Alts: Luca Guadagnino, Steven Spielberg

Best Actress

Brooklynn Prince, The Florida Project

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

Saorise Ronan, Lady Bird

Meryl Streep, The Post

Alts: Margot Robbie, Jessica Chastain, Vickie Krieps

Best Actor

Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name

James Franco, The Disaster Artist

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Daniel-Day Lewis, Phantom Thread

Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour

Alts: Tom Hanks, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Kumail Nanjiani

Best Supporting Actress

Carrie Fisher, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Holly Hunter, The Big Sick

Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Alts: Mary J Blige, Melissa Leo, Allison Williams, Kristen Scott Thomas

Best Supporting Actor

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Jason Mitchell Mudbound

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri

Michael Stuhlberg, Call Me By Your Name

Alts: Armie Hammer, Michael Shannon, Ben Mendehlson, Ray Romano, Patrick Stewart

Adapted Screenplay

Call Me By Your Name

The Disaster Artist

Molly's Game

Blade Runner 2049

Mudbound

Alts: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Logan, The Beguiled

Original Screenplay

The Big Sick

Get Out

Lady Bird

The Post

Alts: The Shape of Water, The Florida Project, Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread

Best Cinematography

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Get Out

Phantom Thread

The Shape of Water

Alts: Call Me By Your Name, Wonderstruck, Darkest Hour

Costume Design

Beauty and the Beast

Darkest Hour

The Greatest Showman

Phantom Thread

The Shape of Water

Alts: Blade Runner 2049, The Beguiled, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Film Editing

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Get Out

The Shape of Water

Alts: Darkest Hour, Call Me By Your Name, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Baby Driver

Makeup and Hair Design

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

IT

The Shape of Water

Alts: Darkest Hour, Beauty and the Beast

Production Design

Beauty and the Beast

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Alts: Darkest Hour, The Greatest Showman, Wonder Woman

Score

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

The Post

The Shape of Water

Alts: Darkest Hour, War of the Planet of the Apes, Three Billboards

Original Song

"Evermore" Beauty and the Beast

"The Mystery of Love" Call Me By Your Name

"Prayers for This World" Cries from Syria

"This is Me" The Greatest Showman

"Remember Me" Coco

Alts: Batb, Cmbyn

Sound Editing

Baby Driver

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Alt: Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, Logan

Sound Mixing

Baby Driver

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

Alt: Beauty and the Beast, Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes

VFX

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

The Shape of Water

War for the Planet of the Apes

Alt: Wonder Woman, Logan, Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Win Counts

Baby Driver - 1

Beauty and the Beast - 1

Blade Runner 2049 - 3

Call Me By Your Name - 2

Darkest Hour - 1

Dunkirk - 2

Get Out - 2

I, Tonya - 1

The Florida Project - 1

The Shape of Water - 3

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbings, Missouri - 1

Nom Counts

Baby Driver - 2

Beauty and the Beast - 3

Blade Runner 2049 - 8

The Big Sick - 3

Call Me By Your Name - 4

Coco - 1

Cries from Syria - 1

Darkest Hour - 2

The Disaster Artist - 2

Dunkirk - 9

The Florida Project - 3

Get Out - 5

The Greatest Showman - 2

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 1

I, Tonya - 1

IT - 1

Lady Bird - 5

Molly's Game - 1

Mudbound - 2

Phantom Thread - 3

The Post - 4

The Shape of Water - 13

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6

Three Billboards - 6

War for the Planet of the Apes - 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

LA Times' actress and supporting actress roundtables:

Annette Bening

Jessica Chastain

Diane Kruger

Margot Robbie
Saoirse Ronan

Kate Winslet

Hong Chau

Holly Hunter

Allison Janney

Nicole Kidman

Laurie Metcalf

Michelle Pfeiffer

The actor ones have been revealed too:

Lead:

Timothee Chalamet

James Franco

Jake Gyllenhaal

Hugh Jackman

Gary Oldman

Jeremy Renner

Supporting:

Jim Belushi (lol yep these were definitely set up a while ago)

Laurence Fishburne

Richard Jenkins

Jason Mitchell

Sam Rockwell

• Like 2

Round tables mean nothing. One year, they went 0 for 0 with their Actress candidates as none made the cut. :hahaha:

@The Pumpkin Spice Panda How's the kid from Florida project (which is bombing and critical reception isn't nearly as good as the studio's real contender Lady Bird) a lock but Margot Robbie is only an Alternative? The kid is Alt with Dench and whoever else. Don't buy into Sirsha vs Margo Only One Can Get In that some AWers push for. They are just Dench/Vega/Chastain/Lawrence/Etc stands hoping to open a spot for their favorite who's an obvious also-run and not in it to win it. There's a place for both Shish and Margot. 

Also, Carrie Fisher ain't getting a supporting nom even as NGNG. It isn't Heath Ledger situation where there was an iconic role that was also, you know, Oscar-worthy performance. Princess Leia has never been Oscar worthy. Ever. Mark Hamill has better shot and he's not happening either.

This year is big on women due to HarveyGate, etc so banking on Kaluuya's nom due to OscarsSoWhite is not gonna work. Unless he starts sweeping critics awards (and he won't), nobody's predicting him and it's a bigger deal to get Peele a Director nom. Moreover, Kaluuya being in a horror movie and not being predicted by anyone relevant means that it wouldn't be a sbub if he didn't make a line-up. oscarSoWhite was led by Will and Jada cause Will thought he had a legit shot at the nomination but was passed over in favor of a white actor. And it alos happened that Elba, who won SAG, missed out so that fulled Will's cause as "not just a personal grudge". But yeah, totally different situation. One actor is in a horror (not exactly a hotbed of acting noms), the other was in a real person drama and was dragging that real doctor to every campaign event. 

I'd be thrilled if Kaluuya made it but I don't see it cause narrative isn't there. Get Out BP nom (which is happening) and Peele's Original Script (ditto, possible win) and maaaaybe Director will be the movie's rewards cause those are its strongest elements. It's Peele's baby, he should reap all rewards.

Edited by Valonqar

@Valonqar I didn't say any of those were locks.  I just said they were my predicts.  My alts were who I could easily see also popping up on the list.

Youre free to make your own predictions instead of ranting about mine.  I'm sure I'll end up changing mine quite a few times before nominees are revealed.

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda

11 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

@Valonqar I didn't say any of those were locks.  I just said they were my predicts.  My alts were who I could easily see also popping up on the list.

Youre free to make your own predictions instead of ranting about mine.  I'm sure I'll end up changing mine quite a few times before nominees are revealed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. I was just surprised at confidence in some actors and lack thereof in others. I admire the boldness, though. Didn't mean to offend. :blush: