grim22

Black Adam | October 21, 2022 | New Line | Don't worry, it's a hit. Dwayne Johnson says so!

5 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

My point is how is this considered "movie theater quality" if it's by many critics viewed as a shitshow when Batgirl was canned for being garbage? 

Not vouching for Batgirl's quality but this movie probably is "movie theater quality" considering the superhero gems we got in this year after The Batman

So, the kid wants to see this movie, and we have the TMobile $5 off/ticket Atom deal coming next Tuesday, so I foresee being able to give an opening weekend-ish review for how this will do for legs:)...

If I go (and don't see Halloween 1st), it will be my 1st movie since Thor on the National Cinema Day - and after seeing Thor, I refuse to believe this movie can be worse...

Outside of The Batman (and even it didn't know when to end - should have ended at the jail scene and cut the last 40 minutes:), it's been a very bad year for supers quality, both live action and animated (hi Super Pets), so my expectations are low, as might be the audience's...that can only help WOM...see Smile...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Predicting the RT scores from the reactions has become so hard, it could go either way. Still hoping for a fresh score. But with all the talk about the cameo, and The Rock being a global draw, I’m still pretty confident in the film’s success. I’m rooting for it, The Rock seems like a nice guy who really tried his best the please the fans, and he’s been so enthusiastic about the film.

The 3 big mainstreamers have all gushed. Thinking this will be very audience friendly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fielding said:

These criticisms of the script are amusing. Are we suddenly pretending that all those other superhero flicks represent the pinnacle of the art of scriptwriting?

I can’t remember the last time a trailer repulsed me with dialogue as painful as lines like ”In this world there are heroes and villains. Heroes don’t kill people” “Well I do”

There’s a bunch of other gems but rewatching the trailers just to remember the stilted writing might give me a concussion so I’d rather not.

From all the reactions I read the movie is gonna be exactly what I expected.

What I think the rock and his production company should do is listen to feedback on the script and storey aspects and try to improve on those things for the future, he seems pretty receptive to criticism so I think that’s good. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeight said:

Aquaman should not be the quality the dceu should be striving towards.  They need great critically reception and box office.  Tss and WW should be the goals,  not aquaman

Most capeshit movies would kill for Aquaman-level box office and speaking for myself, Aquaman has a ton of charm and rewatchability. I'd rather a movie succeed in what it's trying to be than fail in what it's not. 

• Like 1

Who cares about RT or reviews anymore. I know I don’t. I’ve seen enough badly reviewed films make gangbusters at the box office and critically acclaimed ones do very poorly. This is true even for DC

Aquaman and Joker vs Shazam and TSS, the former have questionable reviews but high box office but the latter have great reviews yet poor box office. Seems Black Adam will follow the former and not the latter… which is good because DC needs another financial win! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Who cares about RT or reviews anymore. I know I don’t. I’ve seen enough badly reviewed films make gangbusters at the box office and critically acclaimed ones do very poorly. This is true even for DC

Aquaman and Joker vs Shazam and TSS, the former have questionable reviews but high box office but the latter have great reviews yet poor box office. Seems Black Adam will follow the former and not the latter… which is good because DC needs another financial win! 

Personally I don’t care either but I feel like it has a larger effect on the box office when it comes to DC movies. I’m glad some of you are optimistic and I hope this does really well but I’m not sure that’s gonna happen, hopefully the GA likes the movie. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but these impressions are not good enough to get audiences to pay their hard earned cash in the streaming era. Especially with Wakanda Forever launching just a few short weeks after. I'll still see it, but a sub-50M opening is looking very likely now. Dwayne is going to become the Joker when he realizes the movie he's been waiting for for over a decade and a half turns out to be a dud.

Too soon to call it a  dud, but I thin a modest box office sucess is probably the best the film can realistically hope for, unless the critical reception is stronger then it seems to be.

The problem is that Black Adam is a pretty obscure DC charecter, and DC studios has not shown the saem ablitiy to take a obscure charecter and make box office gold from it the way that Marvel Studios has.

The biggest plus for the film is Johnson, but The Rock is fall from infallible as a draw.

I think the expectations for this film by the DC fanboys here was always unrealistic.

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

The wacky thing is there seems to be kind of a negative correlation for DC — in addition to the 4 you mention, BoP had good reviews+Poor BO, JL, SS, BvS, MoS had weak reviews+solid BO. Wonder Woman is the clear outlier with great reviews great BO.   

The sample size is pretty small though, so this is on the level of “mostly a coincidence.” BA will probably go for meh reviews+meh BO rather than meh reviews+high box office.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Where are people hearing these negative reactions? The three biggies on Twitter are all very positive.

They hearing all around their heads. This are the people who always put bad stuff at any movie with the brand DC or WB. We know...

• Haha 1