grim22

Terminator: Dark Fate | Nov 1 2019 | Estimated to lose 122.6M

Curious what fans of the Terminator series or Camerone would quantify as a success for this movie? Is getting good reviews and restoring credibility to the name enough? Or does it need to be a box office smash and kick off a new series? 

For me I'd just like to see a respectable movie more in line with 1 and 2, as well as a suitable send off for Arnold. I don't really need a new trilogy. 

2 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

Curious what fans of the Terminator series or Camerone would quantify as a success for this movie?

Like $200m DOM / $600m WW i would qualify as a genuine box office success story.

Actually, @IronJimbo, why don't you make a T6* over Ant-Man 2 club. 2nd time's a charm? ;)

*should be called T3 but just to avoid confusion

Edited by Elessar

2 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

Curious what fans of the Terminator series or Camerone would quantify as a success for this movie? Is getting good reviews and restoring credibility to the name enough? Or does it need to be a box office smash and kick off a new series? 

For me I'd just like to see a respectable movie more in line with 1 and 2, as well as a suitable send off for Arnold. I don't really need a new trilogy. 

Feels like an actual sequel to T2. 

• Haha 1

Alita is actually a good sign for Terminator. People were comparing it to Mortal Engines and expected it to be completely ignored by audiences. There were articles already written about its failure that had to be thrown out after the opening weekend numbers started to come in. James Cameron defied expectations with an unknown property. 

A reception from the public as positive as Alita's would certainly turn Dark Fate into a big hit. Terminator is an extremely famous franchise in the whole World, and the last three movies, with a negative response from audiences, were already in the $400 million worldwide area.

Do not underestimate this movie if it's as good as Alita.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alita overperformed massively, many people were expecting it to make 50M and flop like Jupiter Ascending, Warcraft etc whereas it'll finish with what 85M. almost the same as the last Terminator in fact.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah because Cameron turned Alita into a big hit that all other films were afraid of. Oh wait, that didn't happen, Captain Marvel destroyed Alita. Dark Fate is not guaranteed success. Avatar 2 is because it's an actual Cameron film.

Agreed, no one but Cameron can makes a James Cameron film..though I thought that Avatar was one of his weaker films.

But Tim Miller will be in the same situation as Rodrigues was with Alita : The Cameron fanboys will love it, but not give Miller a bit of credit despite the fact he directed the thing.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Alita is actually a good sign for Terminator. People were comparing it to Mortal Engines and expected it to be completely ignored by audiences. There were articles already written about its failure that had to be thrown out after the opening weekend numbers started to come in. James Cameron defied expectations with an unknown property. 

A reception from the public as positive as Alita's would certainly turn Dark Fate into a big hit. Terminator is an extremely famous franchise in the whole World, and the last three movies, with a negative response from audiences, were already in the $400 million worldwide area.

Do not underestimate this movie if it's as good as Alita.

Thanks for proving mu point that poor Rodriguez will never get any credit from the Cameron fanboys for ALita.

But if Alita had out and out bombed, instead of managing to just about break even, Rodriguez sure as hell would have gotten the blame.

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Thanks for proving mu point that poor Rodriguez will never get any credit from the Cameron fanboys for ALita.

But if Alita had out and out bombed, instead of managing to just about break even, Rodriguez sure as hell would have gotten the blame.

I agree with you to an extent. Unfortunately Cameron's name overshadows him but Rodriguez deserves more credit for bring Cameron's project to life. He did an excellent job as a director. 

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

Alita overperformed massively, many people were expecting it to make 50M and flop like Jupiter Ascending, Warcraft etc whereas it'll finish with what 85M. almost the same as the last Terminator in fact.

Warcraft over performed too. Over performed doesn't automatically mean hit. Alita is going to do as well as The Mummy worldwide on an even larger budget. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2