Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's had alot more marketing than Blair Witch, to be fair. Also, among kids of my generation (21-28), The Ring was THE horror movie for us when we were kids, moreso than the Blair Witch. I think it's heading towards around 15m, so not great or anything but bigger than post are predicting. I feel more buzz than Blair Witch, FWIW. 

On the other hand, everyone hated The Ring Two (and it's not like this Naomi Watts-less sequel looks any better).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Split had a below 35% drop isn't too bad, and should make over $120 million domestic. 

Its pretty awesome and i think itll make over 140.

• Like 2

Excellent holds for the contenders and Split.

Next weekend should be interesting, with nothing really interesting opening next weekend the usual big holdovers should have good Fri. and Sat numbers and I'm hoping LLL has a good Sunday number since it looks like a good alternative for the non Superbowl fans.:D

My club track record:

The Martian over Gravity: Fail

Zootopia over 300M: Win

Neighbors 2 under 70M: Win

Alice 2 under 125M 150M: Win

The BFG under 80M: Win

La La Land over 125M: Win

Split over 100M: Win

My clubs have gone 6/7. If there weren't so many Mummy clubs right now, I'd be making a club for that. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Bye Bye Man got nothing on The Devil Inside. That was legendary.

I will never forget that run. It was unbelievable. The movie just disintegrated after OD. On Saturday Paramount Executives were screaming "FRANCHISE!" and on Monday they were like "Maybe not...".

• Like 6

Idk if anyone's mentioned this, but it's quite possible that Split will top Paul Blart: Mall Cop ($146.3m) to become the biggest-ever pure January release (as in no qualifying run in December), an 8-year-old record.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Idk if anyone's mentioned this, but it's quite possible that Split will top Paul Blart: Mall Cop ($146.3m) to become the biggest-ever pure January release (as in no qualifying run in December), an 8-year-old record.

You're right :ohmygod: Here's hoping it hits that mark!

• Like 1

Hidden Figures really is killing it. I didn't expect this to get close to $100m, and its blown past that mark with gas still left in the tank. Its drops have been majestic and with the Oscars coming up, this isn't slowing down.

Its proven to be a feel good film for everyone, but its definitely winning with the black crowd because we finally get something with a positive message. The book is also selling hotcakes. Good for them.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 10

The fact that Hidden Figures is probably going to wind up in the same gross range as La La Land and Split ($140m-$150m) shouldn't go unnoticed. If people go to see films like these three, Hollywood is going to make more. 

• Like 3

I remember when I first heard of hidden figures, I was going through a new shipment of posters and banners at the theatre and I unrolled one and saw "Hidden Figures" I was like what the hell is this this looks kinda weird, no way am I even going to notice it when it gets dumped in 300 theatres sometime in January.

Glad to know I was wrong. Such a great film, and a refreshing box office run too.

• Like 3

For a horror film to drop sub-40% in this day and age is nothing short of phenomenal, and shows the appeal of Shyamalan flicks. Kudos to him. I'm so curious to see how much money he made off of that film..

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

The fact that Hidden Figures is probably going to wind up in the same gross range as La La Land and Split ($140m-$150m) shouldn't go unnoticed. If people go to see films like these three, Hollywood is going to make more. 

Yeah. Hopefully Hollywood makes more films with a black cast, and light hearted. This movie was completely off my radar until a few weeks ago. 

The movie is gonna make bank.

I feel like with the trifecta of La La Land, Hidden Figures, and Split, we'll see a return of mid-budget crowd pleasers. And I cannot wait for that to happen. There's obviously an audience

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, franfar said:

For a horror film to drop sub-40% in this day and age is nothing short of phenomenal, and shows the appeal of Shyamalan flicks. Kudos to him. I'm so curious to see how much money he made off of that film..

Yeah. Hopefully Hollywood makes more films with a black cast, and light hearted. This movie was completely off my radar until a few weeks ago. 

The movie is gonna make bank.

I feel like with the trifecta of La La Land, Hidden Figures, and Split, we'll see a return of mid-budget crowd pleasers. And I cannot wait for that to happen. There's obviously an audience

Would they even be considered mid budget these days?

LLL at 30m, HF at 25m and Split at 9m are actually all pretty small (especially Split). I think Mid range would be more like 50-70m, not that we even get many "crowd pleasers" in that range either, it seems everything is micro budget or blockbuster budget these days with just a very few mid range.

1 minute ago, Incarnadine said:

Would they even be considered mid budget these days?

LLL at 30m, HF at 25m and Split at 9m are actually all pretty small (especially Split). I think Mid range would be more like 50-70m, not that we even get many "crowd pleasers" in that range either, it seems everything is micro budget or blockbuster budget these days with just a very few mid range.

Maybe.