Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: Split: $26.2m (Amazing drop!!!) | ADP: $18.3m | RE: $13.8m | HF: $14m | Gold $3.4m

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

One is a drama about black women at NASA, one is a musical about Hollywood, and one is a psychological thriller. Wake up, Hollywood. We're tired of the big budget, shiny but shallow, CGI excessive, sequel crap. The box office speaks.

We want a good time at the movies, not a corporate time at the movies.

Corporate movies can be important and relevant to the times we're living in.

Look at Zootopia, Civil War and Rogue One. All relate to political challenges we face to today not to mention they're all critical and box office successes most people enjoyed.

Big blockbuster doesnt necessarily mean dumb, shallow, pointless or trashy.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, jandrew said:

That's an insane drop for Split. Wow. That's rare for this era. And Hidden Figures is showing true staying power as well. Too bad for XXX.

Forgot to shout out A Dogs Purpose too. For all the drama, $18m is respectable. 

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Corporate movies can be important and relevant to the times we're living in.

Look at Zootopia, Civil War and Rogue One. All relate to political challenges we face to today not to mention they're all critical and box office successes most people enjoyed.

Big blockbuster doesnt necessarily mean dumb, shallow, pointless or trashy.

I didnt say they did. Everyone has missed the point. 

2 hours ago, Eevin said:

In my humble opinion, if all people see are big-budget blockbusters, that's all Hollywood is going to make. When really good mid-budget films like The Nice Guys, Popstar, Edge of Seventeen, etc. bomb, it makes Hollywood that much less likely to make films like that. And vice versa with successful films like Hidden Figures, La La Land, and Split. And that's not shaming films that have massive budgets - I have Rogue One, Zootopia, and the Jungle Book all in my top 10 for the year - it just means that if all you see in theaters is the next Marvel clone, that's all you're going to get.

Sorry but I would rather stay home and watch those mid budget movies on my 75" TV with 7.1 surround because it's not worth $12 to see an adult drama in theaters. That's Hollywood's problem. I'm only seeing big effects blockbusters in theaters because they're the only movies worth spending $10-20 per ticket to see, they're NOT the only movies worth seeing at all. But at those insane ticket prices, I want to make sure I can justify leaving the house to see a movie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Sorry but I would rather stay home and watch those mid budget movies on my 75" TV with 7.1 surround because it's not worth $12 to see an adult drama in theaters. That's Hollywood's problem. I'm only seeing big effects blockbusters in theaters because they're the only movies worth spending $10-20 per ticket to see, they're NOT the only movies worth seeing at all. But at those insane ticket prices, I want to make sure I can justify leaving the house to see a movie. 

I thought you had Moviepass?

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Bland? Did we watch the same movie?

BEAfm2O.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Plus RO is extremely relevant for the times we're living in. It makes the movie 5x more powerful.

I liked the movie, but these "relevant themes" people are talking about are delivered in broad strokes to the point of not really resembling anything happening in the real world. That's what Star Wars always does. It's all archetypes and broad strokes. The opposite of Star Trek. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I liked the movie, but these "relevant themes" people are talking about are delivered in broad strokes to the point of not really resembling anything happening in the real world. That's what Star Wars always does. It's all archetypes and broad strokes. The opposite of Star Trek. 

An authoritarian, fascist empire using an unstoppable military force to stomp out freedom fighters who want democracy and self-determination, none of that relates to the political climate today?

How is Star Trek Beyond more relevant? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

An authoritarian, fascist empire using an unstoppable military force to stomp out freedom fighters who want democracy and self-determination, none of that relates to the political climate today?

How is Star Trek Beyond more relevant? 

Neither of these movies are political despite how smart and prestigious some people want to be, but STB has the neat idea of a government turning their back on their citizens. The Rogue One "political relevance" is shit we saw in the OT.

Lol I was in box office today and this older lady was purchasing her ticket for la la land (which depending on evening shows tonight will do high 30's for the weekend at my theatre) she turned over to her friend (who was also probably in her 50's) and said "have you heard the new Hanson tune? They sound like they're little boys again."

Ummmm....

• Like 2

The best "theme" of the year was in Kubo...it might have been a "wannabe" blockbuster that kinda failed, but that movie caused one to think on the ending, and not just feel totally hit over the head with obvious "messaging".  If anything, you spent the end wondering if the right choice was made, if you would have made the same choice, if you should make the same choice, and if, when you make the choice, you should make it for the grandparent or the grandchild or the society writ large...explored ideas of respect for the dead/elders, importance of family, and degree to which one is culpable for one's acts is powerful stuff for a "kids" movie...that's a powerful movie with a message...not just "we are all special or celebrate diversity" - that's like kindergarten messaging...Disney tends to rely on this low level obvious messaging, so I don't give them THAT much credit - it's the easy popular stuff...

• Like 1