YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

20 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

That's a great number for John Wick. A shame it didn't meet our most optimistic predictions but it's still like a 100% increase from the previous. I think it can end up at about 80-90M DOM.

Won't make shit in NZ though because they haven't fucking released it grrrrrrrrrr.

If anyone thought last week John Wick 2 would make more than 25M, they're crazy. They should've adjusted their expectations down, it's doing phenomenally.

46 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Top films for the weekend of Feb. 10-12, 2017 according to Friday night industry estimates:

1. The LEGO Batman Movie(WB) 4,088 theaters /$15M Fri. (includes $2.2M previews)/3-day: $55.8M/Wk 1
  2. Fifty Shades Darker(Uni) 3,710 theaters /$20M Fri. (includes $5.72M previews)/3-day: $45.6M/Wk 1
  3. John Wick: Chapter 2 (LG) 3,113 theaters /$10.5M Fri. (includes $2.2M previews)/3-day: $29M/Wk 1
  1. Split (UNI/Blumhouse) 2,961 theaters (-412)  /$2.6M Fri (-46%)/3-day: $9.2M (-36%)/Total: $112.M/Wk 4
  1. Hidden Figures (Fox) 2,667 theaters (-734)/$2.2M Fri (-28%)   /3-day: $8.9M (-12%)/Total: $132.3M/Wk 8
  2. A Dog’s Purpose(UNI/Amblin/Walden) 3,025 theaters   (-153)/$1.7M Fri (-38%)  /3-day: $7.5m (-28%)/Total: $42.8M/Wk 3
  3. La La Land (Lionsgate) 2,065 (-1,171) /$1.4M Fri (-39%)/3-day:$5.5m (-24%)/Total:$126.6M/ Wk 10
  4. Rings(Par) 2,931 theaters /$1.5M Fri. (-73%)/3-day: $4.9M(-62%)/Total: $20.6M/Wk 2
  5.  Lion (TWC) 1,337 theaters  (-68) /$1M/Fri (-7%) /3-day: $4M (+7%)/Total: $30.3M/Wk 12
  6.  The Space Between Us (STX) 2,758 theaters (-54)   /$474K Fri. (-66%)/3-day: $1.7M (-55%)/Total: $6.5M/Wk

Hidden Figure's holds so far have been crazy.

Lion increasing with theater drops. WOW. That seems to be headed towards 40m+

While some people are going full Captain Insano, and while I admit that I had overly lofty expectations for TLBM (certainly wasn't counting on under the original), silver lining is that a 55+ to 60M OW is still very respectable for an 80M budgeted film (and one coming up against two R-rated overperformers nonetheless), and that it may still wind up as the #1 film of the weekend, should FSD drop like moms' fingers on themselves through SatSun.

54 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The core audience is also mostly what's left.  They lost the following the new zeitgeist audience with the first.  Hence a better opening night Cinemascore.

I know. Just stating what I think having seen it. Even among the core audience, majority found the first one boring and not "hardcore" enough.

Base on the reactions I got today from crowd and my friends who are big fans, this one delivers much more gratifications for them in terms of romance and entertainment.

That is a big drop for Lego Batman Movie. But $55m is more in line with what it deserves, IMO.

Solid for Fifty Shades, obviously a huge drop from the original, but that was expected. International opening will be interesting.

John Wick isn't getting to $29m after a $10m Friday ($8m true).

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That is a big drop for Lego Batman Movie. But $55m is more in line with what it deserves, IMO.

Solid for Fifty Shades, obviously a huge drop from the original, but that was expected. International opening will be interesting.

John Wick isn't getting to $29m after a $10m Friday ($8m true).

Some even considered a sub-$50M opening. I thought the movie is a lot of fun, same tone as the 1st LEGO,a non-Disney which came out of nowhere 3 years ago and did almost $70M at opening.

John Wick 2 is another prime example of the internet making it seem as if a film is going to be a huge hit.

But then it isn't, it just meets expectations.

The IMDB poll for this week on twitter about What film are you seeing this weekend? John Wick 2 won by a landslide, but it's just because most of imdb's users are 20-35 y/o males.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zackzack said:

Some even considered a sub-$50M opening. I thought the movie is a lot of fun, same tone as the 1st LEGO,a non-Disney which came out of nowhere 3 years ago and did almost $70M at opening.

Lego Batman has missed even the low end of tracking though.

I just read all 26 pages of this thread in one sitting.

Blankments, the opening for LBM is fine. It was never gonna be a tentpole. $200 million might still be in play,but if not its not the marketing. Also brace yourself,because Ninjago is going to struggle to break 100 million,much less be a big hit on par with anything put out by WDAS,Pixar or Illumination. It could do as bad as Planes.

John Wick 2 is doing fantastic because the first film broke out on home media. 25 to 30+ was never a bad estimate. Even if it ends up frontloaded,it will still likely finish on par with The Accountant.It might even go past The Equalizer and truly break out. I'm stoked for this film and it is my top choice this weekend.

Also,wtf Hidden Figures? That is a sick hold!

Edited by GuardianDevil
  • Like 1