YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I thought Lego Batman was good, but not great. I'm hopefully going to see John Wick 2 tomorrow. 

Anyway, Black Panther is my most anticipated Marvel Studios film.

Lastly, Great Wall will benefit from nothing truly breaking out this weekend.

We've had three films opening above 30m, i dont why you think nothing broke out? The Great Wall wont benefit at all because it has no buzz, i doubt many people care about it. I think this weekends openers should hold ok. with the exception of Fifty shades which will drop heavily after Valentine's Day. Fist Fight is the only film next weekend that could surprise because it's the only comedy coming out this month.

Lionsgate is having so far a strong 2017! Minus Patriot's Day being a flop, Two oscar Nominated films making solid numbers and John Wick 2 off to a solid start. Power Rangers might be a hit overseas,'while here in the states it could do so-so.

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

you're both on my hit list

You should add me to your hit list as well. I didn't quite hate The Lego Movie but I didn't like it that much either, definitely less than most other people. It's possible that a lot of the humour went over my head, I'm absolutely terrible with pop-culture references.

I do wish I saw it in theatres, everyone else laughing when I'm not is usually how I know I'm missing something.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

You should add me to your hit list as well. I didn't quite hate The Lego Movie but I didn't like it that much either, definitely less than most other people. It's possible that a lot of the humour went over my head, I'm absolutely terrible with pop-culture references.

I do wish I saw it in theatres, everyone else laughing when I'm not is usually how I know I'm missing something.

:apocalypse:

LEGO Batman is doing fine. Sure, it might be somewhat disappointing given lofty expectations, but a ~$57m opening weekend for an $80m film is absolutely OK. Probably going to finish over / under $200m domestic and $400m worldwide, which would actually make it the second-biggest animated spin-off ever behind Minions. 

50 Shades Darker is doing quite well for itself. Considering that it's basically a fans-only affair at this point, ~$100m domestic ain't bad at all. 

John Wick 2 is amazing, by the way. Happy it's getting the love it deserves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

John Wick was on USA a few weeks ago. 

And on SyFy earlier this week. I understand they're both NBC Universal channels but USA makes more sense than SyFy. BTW I'm still waiting for 50 Shades to hit basic cable to see how bad it's butchered.

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

LEGO Batman is doing fine. Sure, it might be somewhat disappointing given lofty expectations, but a ~$57m opening weekend for an $80m film is absolutely OK. Probably going to finish over / under $200m domestic and $400m worldwide, which would actually make it the second-biggest animated spin-off ever behind Minions

50 Shades Darker is doing quite well for itself. Considering that it's basically a fans-only affair at this point, ~$100m domestic ain't bad at all. 

John Wick 2 is amazing, by the way. Happy it's getting the love it deserves. 

I don't think it's a particularly meaningful category, but Puss In Boots made 555M WW.

• Like 1

La La Land looks like it'll pretty much fall along Juno/Slumdog numbers. Hidden Figures looks to clear $150m readily. Both are fantastic movies, and I'm so happy for them.

Batman is a bit disappointing, but I mainly blame the 20-21 figure earlier in the day for getting our hopes up, haha. The increase today will be very telling of how well it persists. Hoping for 25m+, and it'll certainly repeat.

Shades went to the high end of general expectations. I'll give Universal credit, I expected much more of a decrease.

Wick is obviously great, might be this generation's closest thing to a Spy Who Snagged Me.

Split becoming M Night's third highest grossing film is awesome. And NO one had it in their winter game.

Next weekend will be much slower. FF/GW should pull decent numbers, but A Cure For Wellness could tank badly. 

• Like 6