CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Have you actually seen Moonlight?  It's most definitely not Oscar bait, and is one of the most inspired wins in Oscar history (and again, I preferred La La Land to Moonlight).

As much as I loved La La Land, that movie was Oscar Bait the movie, only the Academy didn't take it.

I tried then I stopped I got bored, I didn't love La La land either btw I don't really like musical but this  is just something that doesn't happen. A movie that no one saw in the GA, it' is the second lowest grosser ever, wins best picture over the other movie that won every other award following a year where the Oscar were attacked for lacking diversity and  all the other political stuff occurred. It is a political statement regardless of its merit and that to me is a bridge to far

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

The problem with being color blind is that it also diminishes the different cultures, experiences, voices of people.

Yep. It can be tricky to not reduce it to assimilation. In the end is not about pretending we're not different, it's about embracing that we are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This really isn't the case. I mean, when you have people like Michael Mann raving about it, you've touched a nerve that goes beyond mere "oh, let's make sure to have an African-American movie win BP". 

You know you can never bring up Michael Mann without this club popping up.

• Like 6

is there anything to track how a movie does on digital media when it comes out?  thankfully the numbers publishes weekly dvd and blu ray sales on the respective weekends but it reports 2 months late!  still, glad there is something.  Every once in a while I catch a glimpse in an article that a movie like John Wick made alot on digital.  But is there any way we can find out how well some of these smaller movies are doing.  Billy Lynn??

Just now, grim22 said:

Absolutely brutal. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

La La Land still won 6 awards it would have been nice to win Best Picture but it doesn't take away from the fact it had a good night overall. 

Most movies would kill for the success of LLL. The producer handled it better than most people would, which made me gain a lot of respect and sympathy. I think I may watch the movie sometime.

• Like 3

I don't think it's fair to call LA LA LAND Oscar bait either. It was a long shot to be successful at all -- basically everything had to go right. It had to be well-made, it had to be critically well-received, it had to be very successful at the box-office... all of these things happened but they were by no means sure bets beforehand. 

• Like 11

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

It won precisely because it was black and gay, it was literally oscar bait the movie 

What was the last black movie that didn't involve slavery or maids or the civil rights movement to win a Best Picture Oscar? I can't name one.

What was the last gay movie to win an Oscar? Midnight Cowboy in 1969 is probably the closest.

So you have a black movie that doesn't meet the criteria the Academy has liked in the past for black movies and a gay movie which traditionally the Academy hasn't really gone for...put it together and it's somehow Oscar Bait?

• Like 9

I've thought Moonlight might be the movie remembered from this year since the moment it dropped, honestly. Definitely has staying power. This might actually help La La Land historically, and it'll always be remembered as an iconic musical and big time hit. Both of these movies seem like ones we'll be talking about 20 years from now, idk. I actually think this entire Best Pic slate will hold up well for various reasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

What was the last black movie that didn't involve slavery or maids or the civil rights movement to win a Best Picture Oscar? I can't name one.

What was the last gay movie to win an Oscar? Midnight Cowboy in 1969 is probably the closest.

So you have a black movie that doesn't meet the criteria the Academy has liked in the past for black movies and a gay movie which traditionally the Academy hasn't really gone for...put it together and it's somehow Oscar Bait?

Oscar Bait is such a meaningless term at this point. People just slap it on anything without even knowing what the film is about.