CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Since 2009, when they changed BP category... BP winners have had an average of 64M gross (assuming Monlight closes DOM with 40M). Only two movies over 100M (Argo and The King's Speech).

Before that change, looking at the winners from 2001 to 2008: 152M average gross. Only two movies under 100M (No Country for Old Men and Crash).

Since 1980, 5 movies under 50M grossers (6 if we count Moonlight). Five of them in the last 8 years. In the last 37 years, only The Last Emperor missed 50M.

There's obviously a trend, a dissociation between Academy and what GA supports. With the old system, would the prize go to La La Land or Gravity?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

moonlight did NOT deserve this, a horrible year for great films

Disagree strongly on this one IronJimbo - for those of us who have struggled to come out as gay I think Moonlight spoke very powerfully. It was a brilliant masterclass of film making. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahahaha. Uhh, then you heard wrong. Moonlight is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and by far the worst of 2016! La La Land was a very good film and certainly the best of the nominated movies. At least though, not in my top 5 of 2016. Most Oscar movies aren't. Moonlight sucked in every way a movie can suck. Boring as hell, pointless, and a pandering issues movie. 

j0cp9ZA.gif

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahahaha uhh then you heard wrong. Moonlight is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and by far the worst of 2016! La La Land was a very good film and certainly the best of the nominated movies at least though not in my top 5 of 2016. Most Oscar movies aren't. Moonlight sucked in every way a movie can suck. Boring as hell, pointless, and a pandering issues movie. 

What are you smoking? 

• Like 1

Bloody Hell! LMAOOO!!!!

I  can't believe this has happened.

I honestly cannot express an opinion since I haven't watched any of the films but I am surprised for sooo many complains.

Moonlight received far more acclaim from critics so it isn't like it was undeserving or soo.. Hell, it had an average 9/10 guys!!!

Besides, when I hear people like JonathanLB calling it "one of the worst movies of all time", I am confident it will be intresting at least.

I will watch it as soon as I can!

I really hate how Moonlight is now thrown around by some people like some cheap movie that only won because of having a black and gay character.

I totally respect when someone thinks LLL or something else was better or more deserving... but the complete lack of respect for another movie, narrowing it down to one or two aspects of it is something noone who really likes movies and the art (and craft) of filmmaking should do so flippantly. When we demand the Oscars should not narrow it down to politics, maybe we shouldn't do that either and stay open to see the beauty of some of those filmmaking efforts beyond their social or political themes.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 9

Funny thing. DC films official sina account of China said Suicide Squad won the first Oscar of DC and Marvel and X-Men universe. Then it was laughed at by many moviegoers. Fans between Marvel and DC started to argue with each of them.

"Should fans be proud of this as a drama film?"

"Of course. Why didn't Marvel get one?"

"The first one?  I don't wanna praise Health Ledger but he already got one. "

"That universe does not include Nolan's trilogy. "

"As an official account, you shouldn't get involve with Marvel and X-Men. "

"That is what I think."

A DC and Marvel comic book fan said this and retweeted by many, "An Oscar and four Golden Raspbelly awards. Of course it is the best universe of industry."

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1

reading the results now as was watching TWD then went to sleep since I had to be at work by 5:30 am.  So no crazy surprises with the winners really, yes I just saw what happened with Beatty and all so I caught up on that too :P 

• Like 1