CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i thought seth macfarlane was the funniest host of recent times. i guess for a lot of "oscar people" they aren't into that humour and it didn't play well in the room but he was killing me.

He was great, another fuck the haters. And I've grown a lot LESS fond of Family Guy and his other animated shows as time has gone on. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

2001: A beautiful mind, I prefer gosford park more, and it's shame memento left out nomination, but at least it grab a nod of ori. screenplay

2002: Chicago, clearly a joke, i would rather choose the two tower

2003: LOTR 3, rightfully deserve, am i only one here who find lost in translation borinG?? and I'm find the absence of city of god in best pic category offensive 

2004: Million dollar baby, prefer eternal sunshine

2005: Crash, while everybody complaining , i find crash is not that bad, still brokeback mountain was better

2006: The departed, I like martin, but i dont like this,is not his best, not even close....still martin deserve an award for his life-time career, and it's 2006

2007: No country for old man, It's crime to say there will be blood is better, they are both a very awesome movie in different sense, inhuman to say which is better

2008: Slumdog millionaire, right choice, but still, why the dark knight wasn't here??? the reader inclusion was a oscar prank.

2009 hurt locker; they got this right again

2010: The king speech, I prefer toy story 3

2011: The artist, the 1st hollywood self-congratulatory movie since millennials , never watch, a weak year for oscar too

2012: Argo, again a self-praised movie, but at least it was very thrilling, prefer djanjo unchained

2013: 12 years a slave, too painful and artistic, prefer gravity or Her

2014: Birdman: No problem, approved!!

2015: Spotlight, excellent pick!!! 

2000:  Gladiator, fantastic win. "Are you not entertained?"  Academy: "ah fuck it, yes we are"

2001:  A Beautiful Mind, respectable win but FOTR deserved it more.

2002:  Chicago, never seen it and never heard about it since so TTT probably deserved it more.

2003:  ROTK, great and historic win for being the one and only time a fantasy won and will probably the last time a major epic will in BP.

2004:  Million Dollar Baby, kinda forgettable but not an embarrassing win IMO.

2005:  Never seen Crash but it seems to be the BP winner everyone loves to hate the most

2006:  The Departed is one of my favorite movies of all time so great win

2007:  No Country for Old Men is another favorite and glad it won over the boring as fuck There Will Be Blood

2008:  Never seen Slum Dog Millionaire

2009:  A weak year thus The Hurt Locker winning, would've preferred District 9.

2010:  The King's Speech, never seen it.

2011:  The Artist = LOL

2012:  Argo is a good win but it doesn't make Ben Affleck an expert on the region.  His infamously dumb meltdown on Real Time battered his image for me.

2013:  12 Years a Slave is a good win but its a 1 and done deal for me, too fucked for repeat viewings

2014:  Birdman, enjoyable and first superhero movie to win an Oscar!

2015:  Spotlight, good respectable win

2016:  Only one of the nominees I've seen this year is Hell and High Water(the only one that really appealed to me) and I get the distinctive feeling that its far too entertaining to win.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

God, I hope Denzel wins Best Actor. They're about equal performances in my book, but Christ, the thought of Brie Larson, advocate for victims of sexual assault who won an Oscar for playing a rape victim, having to hand an Oscar off to creepo sexual assaulter Casey Affleck is cringe worthy. And also, if Hollywood is going to be a real platform for change and progressive values (which they absolutely should be!), they have to walk the walk. They can't make speeches about President Pussygrabber and then give Best Actor to one, too. I don' think character should play a role in these kind of things - T.O. should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer! - but a sexual assaulter in this year? Nah, son. And Denzel was fucking great, too. Love that man.

I'm sure that this will be followed by a bunch of posts telling me what a PC idiot I am or something. 

Agrees to every word of this post.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i thought seth macfarlane was the funniest host of recent times. i guess for a lot of "oscar people" they aren't into that humour and it didn't play well in the room but he was killing me.

I liked the boobies song...of course I am a immature teenager hiding in 30 year old's body...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

2000:  Gladiator, fantastic win. "Are you not entertained?"  Academy: "ah fuck it, yes we are"

2001:  A Beautiful Mind, respectable win but FOTR deserved it more.

2002:  Chicago, never seen it and never heard about it since so TTT probably deserved it more.

2003:  ROTK, great and historic win for being the one and only time a fantasy won and will probably the last time a major epic will in BP.

2004:  Million Dollar Baby, kinda forgettable but not an embarrassing win IMO.

2005:  Never seen Crash but it seems to be the BP winner everyone loves to hate the most

2006:  The Departed is one of my favorite movies of all time so great win

2007:  No Country for Old Men is another favorite and glad it won over the boring as fuck There Will Be Blood

2008:  Never seen Slum Dog Millionaire

2009:  A weak year thus The Hurt Locker winning, would've preferred District 9.

2010:  The King's Speech, never seen it.

2011:  The Artist = LOL

2012:  Argo is a good win but it doesn't make Ben Affleck an expert on the region.  His infamously dumb meltdown on Real Time battered his image for me.

2013:  12 Years a Slave is a good win but its a 1 and done deal for me, too fucked for repeat viewings

2014:  Birdman, enjoyable and first superhero movie to win an Oscar!

2015:  Spotlight, good respectable win

2016:  Only one of the nominees I've seen this year is Hell and High Water(the only one that really appealed to me) and I get the distinctive feeling that its far too entertaining to win.

Infernal Affairs is a better movie than The Departed :ph34r:

Also, LOTR winning all 3 years was impossible to begin with. If I could choose only 1 though, I'd give it to FOTR.

Whiplash should have won 2014

Edited by Daxtreme

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He was okay. Better than the Franco/Hathaway mess and NPH, that's for sure.

Still not sure what Franco and Hathaway were going for. Looked like Franco was stoned the whole night and Hathaway was on crack the way their personalities were through the night. They didn't even do the obvious joke with Franco in 127 Hours in the opening segment as well. 

One of the better hosting gigs in recent awards shows IMO was Andy Samberg at the Emmy's. He struck just the right tone throughout the night.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unless you actually thought he was gonna get nominated for Fantastic Beasts, which was the only movie he was in throughout all of 2016... ;)

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What would he be nominated for? Fantastic Beasts? Lol. 

Oh I knew he wouldn't be nominated, I'm just glad he didn't do some Oscar-baity stuff this year to get him a third nomination.

Just now, grim22 said:

Still not sure what Franco and Hathaway were going for. Looked like Franco was stoned the whole night and Hathaway was on crack the way their personalities were through the night. They didn't even do the obvious joke with Franco in 127 Hours in the opening segment as well. 

One of the better hosting gigs in recent awards shows IMO was Andy Samberg at the Emmy's. He struck just the right tone throughout the night.

Andy Samberg was a great Emmy host. But then even great Emmy hosts have flopped as Oscar hosts (like NPH) so you never know.

• Like 1