DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

51 minutes ago, the128boy said:

Just waiting for those Collide wk 3 numbers.

36 minutes ago, the128boy said:

As someone who saw it (and I can verify at least one other person in North America has seen it - he was also in my showing), it deserved every penny it earned.

Speaking of pennies, how about this box office comparison?

Collide domestic box office total: $2,280,004

Jem and the Holograms domestic box office total: $2,184,640

Jem had its run cut short at 14 days back then.  So, are there still theaters showing Collide?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Jem had its run cut short at 14 days back then.  So, are there still theaters showing Collide?

Yes. Mojo has it listed as still open. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

GO on pace for 20?

$6 million would be down a hair over 25% from last Friday, almost exactly matching it's 1st to 2nd Friday drop. 2nd weekend that rebounded to a 15.4% weekend drop. Even if this weekend stays at the 25% that would make it a bit over $21 million.

Just now, franfar said:

You unliked a comment, I demanded it back, and you liked a different comment of mine.

You know, things that a well-adjusted person would complain about.

And now I'm out of likes ;)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I can't imagine how/why any theater wouldn't have dropped ot yet. I literally went the Monday after it opened. 250 seat theater, I'd guess. Me and one other guy. It was surreal.

That record breaking 2nd weekend drop, though... just glad I could be a part of this historic run.

• Like 1

Overseas to date in two days, Kong: Skull Island counts $12M. All in, industry projections have the worldwide debut for the big tropical ape at $135M

So, projections for OS's OW are at $80m, if it gets a 2.5x, a standart multiple for OS releases, it would finish between $200m-$210m from these markets. How's tracking at China? Maybe $100m? This is probably making $320m+ OS alone, without Japan, I have no idea what to expect there.

• Like 1

Where are the dudebros when you need them ?

Logan was supposed to be Da new Dark Knight of Superhero movies and get past 250m dom pretty easily.

Some dudebros still get afraid at night when graphic violence has meaning and consequence it seems.

9 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

So, projections for OS's OW are at $80m, if it gets a 2.5x, a standart multiple for OS releases, it would finish between $200m-$210m from these markets. How's tracking at China? Maybe $100m? This is probably making $320m+ OS alone, without Japan, I have no idea what to expect there.

Apparently tracking is really good in China? I thought a 150m figure was being tossed around as a possibility

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Apparently tracking is really good in China? I thought a 150m figure was being tossed around as a possibility

China is completely unpredictable. A Dog's Purpose is going to make 100M there, Kong will likely do pretty well as well.

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Logan may be brutal and anti-superheroic, but unlike the other X-Men movies its not primarily an allegory for racism or homophobia with Charles as MLK and Magneto as Malcom X, its still there but its pushed way to the side.   Its basically a modern scifi western with other things on its mind and I thought maybe that would make it have better legs than you're typical X-Men movie, guess not.

It also comes after one horrible and then one mediocre Wolverine movie.  The reviews got back most of the audience from the first one but it's not a series that has built a lot of new young fans over the last decade and it's not a film that's going to appeal to a more family friendly audience or encourage the kind of repeat audience a fun (not funny just fun - there's a difference) movie gets.

The X-Men series wasn't Spider-man a or Batman big when it started but the first 3, especially 2 & 3 were pretty big.  But then X-Men Last Stand and Wolverine happened and it just killed the momentum of that series and left a bad taste in a lot of mouths while at the same time Nolan's Batman was coming out and the MCU was getting started.   First Class was return to respectability but not big box office.  DOFP with the hook of the returning cast and the better quality was able to turn it around and near those peaks again and even do better WW with the expanding market but with APOC that looks very much like a one off.  This core set of character have now been on screen for 17 years  - in two different iterations the second of which has just not been as popular as the first.  Fox with Deadpool has finally started to expand the brand a successful  future probably mean new rather than already used X-Men characters.

• Like 1