DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I dont think get out could break out if wasn't for it 99% RT score

well I mean audiences are loving it as well but the reviews definitely gave it hype to break out. 

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think RT acts more as a rough numerical estimate of word-of-mouth than as an influence in itself (at least in the case of blockbusters), though I certainly disagree that it's damaging. 

I believe RT audience is the best estimate for that. The general public tends not to be the same as the random hair-stylist that has enough time to review movies on her blog, and should not necessarily be represented by her opinion. The damaging effect of RT is that many movies that have a different voice and creativity that can inspire specific people, even if not the whole population, are left unseen by those targets simply because they looked at a number on a website and never connected. Yeah, there are people who say they will not watch a movie because of a low RT score. Ever ask them if they wanted to watch the movie before the RT score dropped? Many will say yes. Imagine that chain reaction of creative ideas that could be passed on simply if that audience didn't ignore the movie due to how a movie didn't have the proper critic appeal. There are quite a few movies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that would have had terrible RT scores, but they shaped a generation who have fond memories who were not turned away because RT did not exist. 

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

You know what's a good way to figure out if a movie is good? Look at the trailer. Check out the previous performance of some of the cast. Read what it's about. Read an interview or some articles. And, back in the day, READ WHAT A GOOD CRITIC has to say about it. The number on RT is an accumulation of opinions that sometimes just bandwagon snowballs. Fancyhair.com gives a movie better praise or harsher criticism for the lead actors hairstyle and studentsedge spoils the whole movie in its review that's summed up as good or bad depending on if the reviewer had bladder issues during his viewing...Considering that people have different backgrounds and different tastes, each movie should have varying impact on you that should be considerably different from any critic. The worst part about RT is that it influences an audience's mindset prior to their movie experience. RT says its good? You automatically forgive many flaws in a film, probably not even noticing it because you went into the movie deciding it was already good. RT says its bad? You become hypersensitive to all its flaws. Also, as some have already pointed out, RT is actually a measure of a percentage of how many people find a movie to be okay enough not to give it a rotten tomato. What's more interesting is to see the films that have mid-level percentages, with average ratings above "fresh" films, and strikingly different audience ratings.

Trailers bore me these days. They're all edited in the same generic format for their genre and usually a disservice to the artistry attempting to be conveyed. I think it's hugely unfair to any film to judge its quality on about 2% of its footage that may or may not be intended at my audience (and may not actually be from the film, for that matter). A certain director might interest me with their involvement, but actors' careers usually run the gamut of quality and it's pointless to make a judgement on a certain movie based on their presence.

Yeah, there are some critics that are idiots or quote whores, but everyone's an idiot sometimes and getting opinions from a wide variety of sources helps to even things out. And while they may convince me to spend money on the film, I'm perfectly capable of hating a film they all loved (see: Get Out)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Trailers bore me these days. They're all edited in the same generic format for their genre and usually a disservice to the artistry attempting to be conveyed. I think it's hugely unfair to any film to judge its quality on about 2% of its footage that may or may not be intended at my audience (and may not actually be from the film, for that matter). A certain director might interest me with their involvement, but actors' careers usually run the gamut of quality and it's pointless to make a judgement on a certain movie based on their presence.

Yeah, there are some critics that are idiots or quote whores, but everyone's an idiot sometimes and getting opinions from a wide variety of sources helps to even things out. And while they may convince me to spend money on the film, I'm perfectly capable of hating a film they all loved (see: Get Out)

Understandable. Unfortunately, I feel like a society that runs in sync with RT is basically one that has become too lazy to think for themselves. You might not be that case, but I have run into too many who simply echo the internet echo-chamber fueled by the Critics Consensus of RT. RT and franchises, imo, are leading to a trend of bandwagon movie-viewing mentality. I'm glad it is useful to many, but I just hope people do not just look at RT numbers when the internet is filled with much better information about movies that could really fill them with interest and joy.

For example, I hope people who love chess or paranoid personality disorders read the synopsis of Pawn Sacrifice and read the history of Bobby Fischer to decide whether they want to watch the movie rather than simply the 72% it received on RT.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I believe RT audience is the best estimate for that. The general public tends not to be the same as the random hair-stylist that has enough time to review movies on her blog, and should not necessarily be represented by her opinion. The damaging effect of RT is that many movies that have a different voice and creativity that can inspire specific people, even if not the whole population, are left unseen by those targets simply because they looked at a number on a website and never connected. Yeah, there are people who say they will not watch a movie because of a low RT score. Ever ask them if they wanted to watch the movie before the RT score dropped? Many will say yes. Imagine that chain reaction of creative ideas that could be passed on simply if that audience didn't ignore the movie due to how a movie didn't have the proper critic appeal. There are quite a few movies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that would have had terrible RT scores, but they shaped a generation who have fond memories who were not turned away because RT did not exist. 

The RT audience rating is skewed based on the pre-release interest. It has the same problem that IMDB's ratings do with people being able to upvote/downvote at will. 

There are always going to be "misunderstood" films that aren't appreciated in their time whether something like RT exists or not; and even a bad RT score doesn't necessarily mean a film is doomed to be forgotten. I prefer to think about the talented filmmakers who are getting more attention because it was easy to find just how good their critical reception was.

57 minutes ago, franfar said:

The problem is that RT just shows how many people gave it positive vs negative. A movie can have an average rating of 6/10 (decent, but not great), and still have like 80+%

It's good if you want to see movies that are at least decent, though.

Metacritic is better if you want to see which movie has high ratings.

Metacritic and Rotten tomatoes Top critics is pretty much the same (almost always really close score, using pretty much the same reviews)

RT give you 2 metric, the % of people that liked the movie and how much it is rated, the first being how much of a consensus the second score happen to be.

The 2 metric have their merit, the RT score being about the chance you will like the movie and the average rating by how much.

You know what's a good way to figure out if a movie is good? Look at the trailer. Check out the previous performance of some of the cast. Read what it's about. Read an interview or some articles.

Many dislike trailer because of spoiler, same for reading about them, for many the best experience is going to a movie 100% cold, using something like a score to curate what you see become a really interesting option.

And there is just so many movie thousand of new movies every year's, ten and ten of thousand from the past, no one will go by alphabetic order of the 16000 movies of 2016 on IMDB and read/watch trailer's about all of them, it is just impossible time wise, everyone use some pre-curating method.

The worst part about RT is that it influences an audience's mindset prior to their movie experience. RT says its good? You automatically forgive many flaws in a film, probably not even noticing it because you went into the movie deciding it was already good.

That would be a positive thought, no ? The only goal to go to a movie is having a rewarding experience/good time, anything that help toward that is positive, anything that reduce it is bad. I would say that you are in part rights, a lot of external element to the actual movie will affect our subjective experience, but it change from people to people, a high RT score can trigger the contrarian in us or set high expectation (Boyhood for example did suffer from it a little bit to some, Moonlight to others). RT can have a little bit of influence, but it probably not come close of the movie being a big name prestigious director.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Just realized the budget/box office similarity between Kong and Star Trek Beyond, but with Kong having more overseas potential. Both had $185 million budgets, both opened close to $60 million domestically and Kong will likely end around STB domestically.

@MrPink

• Like 1