DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am pretty sure Bay was already very wealthy before the TF franchise, not TF rich but still doing very well for himself.

He was probably getting 500 000k-1m a pop for doing commercials where he is a superstar, won tons of awards in that field.

All of his movies except The Island were big or huge BO hits.

Also, your post is fake news I am sorry to announce :

Bay directed Pain & Gain & Benghazi between his TF movies to flex out his story telling muscles.

-_-

I didn't say he wasn't already wealthy.

He doubled or trippled his wealth which isn't as easy to as you might think.

And the Pain and Gain and Benghazi movie stretched his story telling muscles?

Lmao. They're both rotten.

Michael Bay is a more successful and less artistic Zack Snyder.

Edited by grey ghost

27 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

He had sort of a "You're not gonna have Nixon to kick around anymore!" moment after PH. Fuck everything, he'll just direct mindless toy actions commercials for the rest of his career and get really well-paid to do so. 

If the dumpster fire that was Pearl Harbor was "serious" Micheal Bay I'm actually glad he stopped giving a shit.

Pearl Harbor makes even Age of Extinction look preferable by comparison.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I didn't say he wasn't already wealthy.

He doubled or trippled his wealth which isn't as easy to as you might think.

And the Pain and Gain and Benghazi movie stretched his story telling muscles?

Lmao. They're both rotten.

Michael Bay is a more successful and less artistic Zack Snyder.

I loved that movie. So mean, so stupid, so much fun.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

He had sort of a "You're not gonna have Nixon to kick around anymore!" moment after PH. Fuck everything, he'll just direct mindless toy actions commercials for the rest of his career and get really well-paid to do so. 

He tried to quit after every TF movie.

But then Paramount would back up that dump truck full of money.

Over a decade later he's worth half a billion and I'm fairly certain that was his goal from day one. 

Not to become the next Orson Welles. :P

Then again Michael Bay does genuinely enjoy doing the TF movies. He's obviously read up on the franchise ((He used of all things, LOCKDOWN as the villain of Age of Extinction)) he just doesn't really grasp what makes the franchise work.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Bay has enough money to live 100 lives, at this point I am not sure why he accepted to do a 5th TF.

Maybe he feels pity for Paramount as he knows it is their biggest brand and franchise.

"You can never be too rich or too thin."

• Like 1

rather bland Friday as far as increases went - particularly for a weekend that only saw 1 wide film and a Godzilla sized monster next weekend.

I think 50 Shades 2 will never have a Friday of +100% - something that the first did from weekend 3 on (for the most part) and with theater losses coming for it soon 115/118 is looking good as a stopping point.

2 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

Hopefully you bought supplies; it's a long journey.

Worth it for the movie.  I fucking loved it. IMAX 3D definitely heightened the experience.

Seriously it's one of the best live-action -non-Disney studio tentpoles in recent memory.

• Like 2

I'm so used to thinking how easy alot of people go on most well-received blockbuster movies here that I was stunned that I really liked Kong alot better than most here seem to. It has real problems, like a lack of dramatic tension/build sometimes (not near Jurassic World levels bad though) and the fact that Hiddleston is a massive bore, but it's very stylish, is chock full of actually fucking interesting setpieces instead of endless light beams in a parking lot, and outside of the two boring, "movie star" lead characters, the rest of the ensemble is really great. IDK, John C. Reily's character in this is probably legitimately the most I've cared about a character in one of these big franchise movies since Fury Road. I think it's definitely worth a watch on the big screen.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm so used to thinking how easy alot of people go on most well-received blockbuster movies here that I was stunned that I really liked Kong alot better than most here seem to. It has real problems, like a lack of dramatic tension/build sometimes (not near Jurassic World levels bad though) and the fact that Hiddleston is a massive bore, but it's very stylish, is chock full of actually fucking interesting setpieces instead of endless light beams in a parking lot, and outside of the two boring, "movie star" lead characters, the rest of the ensemble is really great. IDK, John C. Reily's character in this is probably legitimately the most I've cared about a character in one of these big franchise movies since Fury Road. I think it's definitely worth a watch on the big screen.

Spoiler

I legit got a bit choked up at the end.  

Edited by cubsfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's also seriously funny.

Holy shit, now that I think about it, playing the entirety of Kong in a 4D ride would be perfect.  It felt like a theme park ride a lot of the time, and I definitely don't consider that a bad thing.  If anyone is lucky enough to see it in 4DX, please tell me how it is.

• Like 1

Wow, according to Deadline, Kong's budget is 185 million + 135 million for marketing/promotion.

This movie will have to make A TON of money, in order to get a profit. 

It seems China and Japan will have to play a role in helping this movie overseas. That's a lot of money to cover, in my view.

• Like 1