DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Why the fuck are Smurfs and Boss Baby coming out on back-to-back weekends? 

So the movies are in theaters before Easter, or more specifically, the week before Easter, with the weekdays of April 10 to 14, so that those films can take advantage of the fact many schools will be out that week.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Probably helps that they were actually using Hollywood made props. 

True, I've watched the Carry On films and the cheapness adds to the charm even if they are of varying degrees of quality. Cleo is very good but Carry On Camping and Carry On Up the Khyber are the best of the series. It's a film series of its era which really can't be replicated today. 

I know Phil Silvers did a Carry On but I wonder if it was ever shown in other countries?

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

True, I've watched the Carry On films and the cheapness adds to the charm even if they are of varying degrees of quality. Cleo is very good but Carry On Camping and Carry On Up the Khyber are the best of the series. It's a film series of its era which really can't be replicated today. 

I know Phil Silvers did a Carry On but I wonder if it was ever shown in other countries?

Silvers was in a later day film in the series called Follow That Camel. His inclusion was an attempt to get the film has some in the U.S., which didn't really end up happening. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Silvers was in a later day film in the series called Follow That Camel. His inclusion was an attempt to get the film has some in the U.S., which didn't really end up happening. 

Even if it had been released in the US, I doubt it would have been successful although Monty Python was successful in the States and I think Benny Hill was shown in syndication so maybe it could have succeeded had they got American distribution for the films 

@Telemachos, have you ever seen a Carry On or is it before your time ?

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Even if it had been released in the US, I doubt it would have been successful although Monty Python was successful in the States and I think Benny Hill was shown in syndication so maybe it could have succeeded had they got American distribution for the films 

Possibly. There were a variety of reasons why non U.S. made films may or may not have found success stateside. 

52 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I would guess huge salaries is why big actors are rarely paired together. You'd never see Jolie and Cruise in a film together or Hanks and Cruise because that would be $35-40m in salaries alone not including points and percentage of gross.

Also, big stars don't like playing in the same movie with another big star, because then the question will definitely arise, who is the biggest, who will hog the attention? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Possibly. There were a variety of reasons why non U.S. made films may or may not have found success stateside. 

Four Weddings and a Funeral was really successful as was The Full Monty, Notting Hill and most recently The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and its sequel. The Crying Game was more successful in the US than in the U.K.! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've never seen a CARRY ON movie. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Four Weddings and a Funeral was really successful as was The Full Monty, Notting Hill and most recently The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and its sequel. The Crying Game was more successful in the US than in the U.K.! 

I think as long as the film has some acclaim, a few Oscar noms, and a decent distributor, it'll at least do okay domestically. 

going back to budgets. Many Martin Scorsese movies have huge budgets (Bringing out the Dead, Gangs of New York, Aviator, Hugo) to the point where the studio must know they won't make a profit theatrically but the must greenlight them still thanks to Scorsese's power