DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

Just now, John Marston said:

going back to budgets. Many Martin Scorsese movies have huge budgets (Bringing out the Dead, Gangs of New York, Aviator, Hugo) to the point where the studio must know they won't make a profit theatrically but the must greenlight them still thanks to Scorsese's power

I don't think that studio execs, or business execs in general are that smart to be honest. They make mega-blunders all the time...The movies you list there are prime examples of this. 

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

going back to budgets. Many Martin Scorsese movies have huge budgets (Bringing out the Dead, Gangs of New York, Aviator, Hugo) to the point where the studio must know they won't make a profit theatrically but the must greenlight them still thanks to Scorsese's power

Marty has delivered enough hits and clout to have a flop once in a while, studios are willing to bet on him in the same way Clint Eastwood had three back to back flops but bounced back with American Sniper and Sully. Paramount can swallow a flop like Silence which they only distributed since it was independently funded if Marty gives them another hit like Shutter Island

Just now, Jonwo said:

Marty has delivered enough hits and clout to have a flop once in a while, studios are willing to bet on him in the same way Clint Eastwood had three back to back flops but bounced back with American Sniper and Sully. Paramount can swallow a flop like Silence which they only distributed since it was independently funded if Marty gives them another hit like Shutter Island

movies like Gangs of New York and The Aviator had 100m budgets and didn't double it worldwide. Hugo apparently cost up to 170m and I don't think it even past 200m worldwide 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not enough though, judging by how even he had to go to Netflix after Silence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not enough though, judging by how even he had to go to Netflix after Silence.

I am guessing Paramount and STX got cold feet, I imagine it'll still get a limited theatrical release. 

I imagine studios want another Shutter Island or The Departed which were hugely successful rather than passion projects like Silence. Zemeckis might have issues too since The Walk and Allied both lost money, Spielberg will be fine as The Post and Ready Player One will be successful 

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

For shame Tele. All those years on this planet and not seeing one of them. 

To be fair, he's based in LA and I think he wouldn't get it... I think the best one to start is Carry On Camping

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To be fair, he's based in LA and I think he wouldn't get it... I think the best one to start is Carry On Camping

I have watched a few, I remember watching Carry On Up The Jungle and Carry on England. The Carry On series used to air in India in the 90s, a holdover from British rule probably - similar to Mr.Bean and a lot of other British comedies like Allo Allo etc.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I have to wonder if Kong was really helped not only by the reviews and 11th hour marketing push, but also by the fact that everything else out right now is rated R aside from the PG-rated LEGO Batman.

Combination of all of those. Good job by WB. They had faith in it and really did put everything in to it at the last moment.

The movie is getting a very wide audience too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fifty Shades Rth said:

In

:flash:

KSI 24.6, Log 17.1, GO 9.4

Out

:flash:

That would give Kong almost 60M for the weekend. Ridiculous Saturday increase, acted like an animated movie almost. Logan looks to end with 38M for the weekend, Get Out will do almost 22M.

In fact, won't be surprised if the WB estimate will be 60M. 

24.6 (+50%!!!!)

16 (-35%)

60.8M OW. 

• Like 11