chasmmi

The Summer Game 2017 | Beans have been counted, sprouts measured, zombies destroyed, and Tele relegated to... oh wait better not... | Let the Pre-Season Reveals begin ...

I'm trying to decide what to replace Snatched with. I highly doubt it's making the Top 15 anymore, so I reckon it's worth gambling 24k points to avoid losing 15k. I also need to fix the highest April grosser, so that'll get me 15k points too. I have the common 13 and The House, so here are my options:

Rough Night: This is the one I'm leaning towards right now, but bad reviews can cripple this.

All Eyez on Me: This is a semi-popular choice, but the YouTube views have me extremely concerned. 

Valerian: Trailer views have been solid, but again, bad reviews can cripple this. I kind of have it on the bubble around 70M, so I don't know.

The Dark Tower: Same as Valerian, only with much less confidence.

Detriot: I'd put this in, but it'll reach a high total by legs, which might not be by the time the game is over. Annapurna is also untested. 

The Big Sick: I don't trust Lionsgate on this :lol: It was a big hit at Sundance and has enough distance from The House and Baby Driver, but the market may be in oversaturation by then.

Girls Trip: If The Big Sick is releasing when the market could be in oversaturation, it'll be even worse for this. It doesn't help that it'll probably be getting smaller screens due to Dunkirk, Valerian, and Apes.

Hitman's Bodyguard: If it wasn't for the late release date, I'd put this in easily. I highly doubt it could explode to 40M on OW, but never say never.

Emoji Movie: I still think this will bomb hard, but it might be a safe choice.

Annabelle: This will most likely be better than the first, but I simply can't see it grossing over 70M.

Help me plz

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm trying to decide what to replace Snatched with. I highly doubt it's making the Top 15 anymore, so I reckon it's worth gambling 24k points to avoid losing 15k. I also need to fix the highest April grosser, so that'll get me 15k points too. I have the common 13 and The House, so here are my options:

Rough Night: This is the one I'm leaning towards right now, but bad reviews can cripple this.

All Eyez on Me: This is a semi-popular choice, but the YouTube views have me extremely concerned. 

Valerian: Trailer views have been solid, but again, bad reviews can cripple this. I kind of have it on the bubble around 70M, so I don't know.

Detriot: I'd put this in, but it'll reach a high total by legs, which might not be by the time the game is over. Annapurna is also untested. 

The Big Sick: I don't trust Lionsgate on this :lol: It was a big hit at Sundance and has enough distance from The House and Baby Driver, but the market may be in oversaturation by then.

Girls Trip: If The Big Sick is releasing when the market could be in oversaturation, it'll be even worse for this. It doesn't help that it'll probably be getting smaller screens due to Dunkirk, Valerian, and Apes.

Hitman's Bodyguard: If it wasn't for the late release date, I'd put this in easily. I highly doubt it could explode to 40M on OW, but never say never.

Annabelle: This will most likely be better than the first, but I simply can't see it grossing over 70M.

Help me plz

VALERIAN, clearly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Help me plz

That's providing you think reviews even matter to Snatched. I see it doing 30M on OW with most of that on Mothers Day, then as it is the only female choice in the market, it can easily get a 3x.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That's providing you think reviews even matter to Snatched. I see it doing 30M on OW with most of that on Mothers Day, then as it is the only female choice in the market, it can easily get a 3x.

According to EC though, the film is surprisingly dark and pretty much everyone in the crowd hated it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Help me plz

I'd drop all August releases b/c I don't know if they can make enough money in just 5 weekends or less, although maybe for a 15th spot...if it were me, I'd probably have the Emoji movie and Rough Night in for my Top 15 (I think Big Sick is too close to Rough Night to not get a little lost)...

EDIT: This game is awesome, but too overwhelming for me on my 1st year on the board (but I'm gonna watch it)...if I was picking the Top 15 domestic, I'd go with...

1. Spiderman

2. Despicable Me 3

3. Wonderwoman

4. Guardians 2

5. Baywatch

6. Cars 3

7. Dunkirk

8. The Mummy

9. Captain Underpants

10. Rough Night

11. Emoji Movie

12. Valerian

13. The Dark Tower (okay, yes, I said not to put an August movie, but this is a special case...and it's under the other 2)

14. Transfomers 8 million

15. Pirates 5 too many

If I could find a reason to drop the bottom 2 (like I did with Alien one million), I would:)...so, these may not be as objective as I probably should be, b/c I tried to fit as many non-remakes/non-sequels in as I could:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Help me plz

I'm the only one who took Girls Trip.  I think you should come join me.  Here's why.

Films aimed at a black audience are usually an afterthought by a lot of the members here when it comes to predicting box office.

I look at this film like the female equivalent of Think Like a Man.  Girls Trip had a strong cast.  Quenn Latifa, Regina Hall and Jada Pinkett all have a bit of a following.

Will Packer is the producer and has a good track record with films like Straight outta Compton, Think Like a Man, Ride Along and Obsessed.

For this film to get into the top 15 it needs about 80 million.  This is my surprise film of the summer.  I think it hits 80 mill and gets to the top 15.

Come join me.  Together we can rule the summer game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm the only one who took Girls Trip.  I think you should come join me.  Here's why.

Films aimed at a black audience are usually an afterthought by a lot of the members here when it comes to predicting box office.

I look at this film like the female equivalent of Think Like a Man.  Girls Trip had a strong cast.  Quenn Latifa, Regina Hall and Jada Pinkett all have a bit of a following.

Will Packer is the producer and has a good track record with films like Straight outta Compton, Think Like a Man, Ride Along and Obsessed.

For this film to get into the top 15 it needs about 80 million.  This is my surprise film of the summer.  I think it hits 80 mill and gets to the top 15.

Come join me.  Together we can rule the summer game.

I'm willing to make a bet that Valerian's OW is 2.5x Girl Trip's OW :ph34r: 

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

Set it up @That One Valerian.....do you want to do a donation to site bet?

If so, I'll give you three to one odds.  If Valerian opens 2.5X Girls Trip, I owe the site $30...if it doesn't, you owe $10

I'm only 16 lmao :rofl:

How about a profile customization bet?  If it happens, then I pick you a custom profile name and pic.  If it doesn't happen, then vice versa :).

• Like 5

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Quick question, can I edit my week 1 question without the fear of losing points. Thanks!!

Yes you cam edit week 1 or SOTM answers. 

Only the big preseason questions n will cost you week 0 points

• Like 1

And here's a lovely new SOTM to think about over the weekend and beyond

forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/23943-sotm-2-~-an-opportunity-to-do-more-second-guessing-~-deadline-may-11th-1159pm/

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

JJ8's question #14 asks if a movie in a single international territory can beat out the domestic total.  Then it says something about the movies pertaining to chasmmi's list of films.  What is this list?? @chasmmi

Chasmmi .. eerrr hmmmmmm ... i don't think he posted it... i the end use all films released "Wide" durign the game in the USA.  BOM is our source for all things box office :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why is everyone helping each other?

I thought this shit was like the Highlander.

You say we are helping each other like any of us has any clue what's really going to finish in the top 15 besides 5 or 6 movies.  If people want to copy, take advice or anything else, that's their choice.  I don't think it's ever good to really take anyone's advice in this game.  Go with your gut.

• Like 5