franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

So joe carnahan,Bautista obviously,selma blair   and zoe saldana all seem to support him.Add in any others i might have missed.One thing i am curious about though since i kinda missed out on the drama initially(just figured it would some edgy jokes),is how long they spent deliberating before firing Gun.Was Feige for it etc. 

I'll be honest.  I was raped as a child by TWO different people so that's something to keep in mind when I voice this opinion...

I actually find it incredibly insulting when people equate jokes about rape and child abuse to actual child abuse.  Not because I approve of rape and child abuse jokes (and I do think those people who joke about it need to face consequences), but because by comparing ACTUAL RAPE to JOKES ABOUT RAPE is really belittling to ACTUAL RAPE VICTIMS.  That's saying our pain and suffering as victims of this crime is somehow equivalent to "this was a bad thing to say and made me uncomfortable".  I can guarantee you, experiencing it happening is worse than hearing a joke about it... A LOT.

And inevitably when people start calling terrible statements as though they're the same as the actual act, it doesn't just make the jokes come across as worse... but it also makes the act come across as 'less severe' because you're comparing it to words.  Raping someone is worse than making a rape joke.  Killing someone is worse than making a joke about homicide.  Beating someone for their race is worse than making a racist joke.  All of those other things are bad, but please, for the sake of people who experience actual rape, violence and other issues, please do not try to equate those bad things you say as being somehow just as bad as the things they mock. 

Don't forget that people laugh at those kind of awful tasteless jokes... and equating them to the same as the act isn't going to stop them from being terrible people who laugh at those things... if anything, it might lessen the actual impact of those acts in their minds since it's basically 'the same as a joke'.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not nearly as long as the year they are spending firing Lasseter.  It doesn't matter that he actually sexually assaulted women employees, he is too important to outright fire. Good message Disney!

Yea was wondering about that too.Is it because he is more needed in the running of pixar?Surely they have some people to handle the business.

Edited by jking123
addition.

33 minutes ago, Sal said:

I'll be honest.  I was raped as a child by TWO different people so that's something to keep in mind when I voice this opinion...

I actually find it incredibly insulting when people equate jokes about rape and child abuse to actual child abuse.  Not because I approve of rape and child abuse jokes (and I do think those people who joke about it need to face consequences), but because by comparing ACTUAL RAPE to JOKES ABOUT RAPE is really belittling to ACTUAL RAPE VICTIMS.  That's saying our pain and suffering as victims of this crime is somehow equivalent to "this was a bad thing to say and made me uncomfortable".  I can guarantee you, experiencing it happening is worse than hearing a joke about it... A LOT.

And inevitably when people start calling terrible statements as though they're the same as the actual act, it doesn't just make the jokes come across as worse... but it also makes the act come across as 'less severe' because you're comparing it to words.  Raping someone is worse than making a rape joke.  Killing someone is worse than making a joke about homicide.  Beating someone for their race is worse than making a racist joke.  All of those other things are bad, but please, for the sake of people who experience actual rape, violence and other issues, please do not try to equate those bad things you say as being somehow just as bad as the things they mock. 

Don't forget that people laugh at those kind of awful tasteless jokes... and equating them to the same as the act isn't going to stop them from being terrible people who laugh at those things... if anything, it might lessen the actual impact of those acts in their minds since it's basically 'the same as a joke'.

So are you for the sacking or against?

We can only hope for the best now for this film :

- tepid reviews, first MCU Rotten would be cause for celebration

- lowest box office of the franchise,  under 200m & 600m WW

- an embarrassing press tour for the ages where everyone has been ordered to not talk about you know who, the guy who managed to pull off a project few besides Feige believed in that looked absolutely ridiculous on paper.

Hopefully the director won't do the press tour, will be even more awkward & precious.

- hopefully, Guardians 3 will be the root of the downfall of the MCU post Avengers 4,  with my boy Kevin starting to doubt himself and making stupid decisions.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

So are you for the sacking or against?

I'm actually fine with him being taken off the film.  Though to me I don't really care if he is. 

I think it'd be more useful to everyone if they could justify docking his pay on the film and sending it to charities helping victims of rape, child abuse and the other things he thought were great choices of shock jock material (I recall a particularly bad joke at the expense of people with AIDS, for example).  Show that there's consequences to your words... and it helps a lot of people in need of help at the same time.  Money talks and it'd certain emphasize that what you say comes with consequences even if those consequences aren't being thrown in prison or something.

• Like 7