franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

That being said for some specially Pratt, that is a lot, lot of money to leave on the table to not do a Guardian 3 I would imagine, plus future Marvel project and Disney movies.

Disney will get so big post Fox acquisition, that for actor to take a strong stand against them is quite the commitment.

Honestly, if Disney had just ignored the trolls stirring the trouble this whole thing would have blown over in a few days.

Im still a little peeved that Disney fires Gunn for this but they take over a year to gently let Lassetter go, and completely ignore the Freeman stuff when it comes to their nutcracker movie.  I understand letting Gunn go is financially easier than people in the thick of a film production, but it shows Disney was making a business decision to get their fox deal passed, not an ethical one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Honestly, if Disney had just ignored the trolls stirring the trouble this whole thing would have blown over in a few days.

Im still a little peeved that Disney fires Gunn for this but they take over a year to gently let Lassetter go, and completely ignore the Freeman stuff when it comes to their nutcracker movie.  I understand letting Gunn go is financially easier than people in the thick of a film production, but it shows Disney was making a business decision to get their fox deal passed, not an ethical one.

I don't see that they had a choice, they fired Barr, they had to fire Gunn.

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Gunn made unfunny jokes. Barr made (and has made) unfunny racist jokes.

If Gunn was an actual pedophile then it’d be comparable.

Edited by Jmart

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Barr’s tweet was current, and a continuation of racist behavior she’d already been doing.

Gunn’s tweets were nearly a decade old, and he had already apologized for his behavior twice since then (prior to the firing).  So he wasn’t just apologizing to try and save his job, as it was secure then.

You could also make the differentiation that Barr’s tweet was a racist act (not an inappropriate racist joke).  Gunn’s tweets were tasteless jokes that weren’t specifically targeting anybody.

You could make a claim, based off of Barr’s tweets that she was currently a racist and have backing.  There’s no backing to a claim that Gunn’s tweets would make him a pedophile.

If our culture wasn’t so reactionary, maybe we could tell the difference, understand nuances, and also understand that people do actually change.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Jmart said:

Gunn made unfunny jokes. Barr made (and has made) unfunny racist jokes.

If Gunn was an actual pedophile then it’d be comparable.

So Pedophilia and Rape are not as bad as racism.

Good to know.

1 minute ago, Jmart said:

When did James Gunn actually commit rape and pedophilia?

When Barr was on her KKK march.

They both chose to use their fame to push political agendas and both got karma because they talked the talk and didn't walk the walk.

Sucks, but you don't get to pick and choose, who to defend and who to condemn here, what they said was equivalently stupid and people are just trying to justify their stance based on nothing more than equivalent dumbness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Good to know.

Nice to know you’ll conveniently ignore anything anyone on this thread says to go against your point (as you obviously skipped over my reply based on this post)

It’s nice to know your posts aren’t worth responding to then and you’re just trying to bait people with continual false accusations.

EDIT:  It also doesn’t take somebody to go on a KKK march to be a racist.

To be a pedophile it does require somebody to actually commit the crime. Gunn has no accusations against him, so it’s safe to assume he’s not a pedophile.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Difference between making a joke while employed by Disney, and making a Joke BEFORE employed by Disney. These aren't equatable circumstances, you're being obtuse in the face of people pointing this out to you the glaring important difference between the two.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Good to know.

It is obviously debatable, the general point being that jokes are not as bad as actual anything. Would people believe Rosanne joke attempt was not revealing / showing actual racism it would be different.

Obviously Gunn having raped a child would be worst than just being racist.

There is many other difference.

Gunn made those when twitter was a small platform and virtually unknown, getting 2-3 like on is tweet back in the 2009-2010 days:

chartoftheday_10460_twitter_user_growth_

Back then, for him it was not that far to the equivalent of doing jokes among friend, to a very specific audience loving that suff (that watched is niche movies/stuff of that style and personal friend), it was not @someone and so obviously over the top to not be possible for the reader to not get it is an attempt to make a joke.

The other is not accused of doing racial charged humor, but to be racist and to have made a racist comment, (like Milo was accused to take a pro-hebephilia stance not make a hebephilia joke), did it on what was a giant platform and while being currently engaged by ABC/Disney.

Both are overreaction from Disney / should have accepted it when they hired that type of people ( I mean Rosanne took picture disguised as Hitler cooking like Jews in her oven and a long list) or not hired them without the condition of stopping social media or something, but they are different incident.

You do not get to say you cannot have nuance between 2 different event without giving a argumentation to why that would be the case.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Sucks, but you don't get to pick and choose, who to defend and who to condemn here, what they said was equivalently stupid and people are just trying to justify their stance based on nothing more than equivalent dumbness.

If only one of them said those things years ago before hired by the company that fired them, and the other said stupid things while employed by that company and got fired.

Nope no difference whatsoever and I must take a hard line and be damned the nuance of it all, because I'm better than everyone here.

Gunn is not coming back . If they rehire him then they will get another backlash from the people that say he is making light of pedophilia, that Roseanne was fired but he wasn't etc. It is too much headache, Gunn is out and he is never coming back

honestly, Gunn has many times perpetuated this outrage culture that brought him down. If they exact same tweets had been from someone else he likely would have been one of the ones out there with a pitchfork, so it's easy to not feel too sorry for him. 

• Like 1

Roseanne was NOT telling jokes, she called a flesh and blood black woman a racist slur. She calls all Muslims terrorists. And all of this is recent stuff.  It's not shit from 6-10 years ago.  Also Disney should have never hired her because they knew that she was a flaming bigot. I often suspect that most people comparing Gunn to Roseanne are racists who agreed with her. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jmart said:

When did James Gunn actually commit rape and pedophilia?

I think he was talking about the subject. Rape, pedophilia and racism are all subjects being discussed nowadays.

If you can make a joke about anything, then you can make a joke about racism. I mean, how the hell can you make jokes about rape, pedophilia and NOT a joke about racism? 

If making a joke about rape doesn't make you a rapist, then making a joke about racism doesn't make you a racist. Let's be fair. What was Roseanne Barr's tweet that got her fired?  If so, I'm pretty sure she can apologise ( if she still hasn't ) and be a better person just like Gunn probably "changed" after 10 years, right?

Edited by Blaze Heatnix