franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

53 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't believe we've circled around to "trailers need to have more spoilers and give away the plot of movies more"

Better than the ridiculous heights Spoilerphobia reached, though. Remember when saying TFA was good/bad was considered a spoiler? Comically absurd.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't believe we've circled around to "trailers need to have more spoilers and give away the plot of movies more"

Honestly yes. You don’t got to spoil the whole thing or major twists but like most times spoilers don’t affect box office. It works imho for big event films like Endgame or TFA or even NWH, but not so much everything else. 

18 minutes ago, YM! said:

Honestly yes. You don’t got to spoil the whole thing or major twists but like most times spoilers don’t affect box office. It works imho for big event films like Endgame or TFA or even NWH, but not so much everything else. 

Agree. Actually I recall years ago that polls showed that the trailers that worked best revealed the most. GA liked knowing exactly what they were getting into if they're going pay to see a movie in a theater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

If the writers strike happens all the media will be focusing on that instead of GOTG3, which would be really unfortunate.

I don´t think people who doesn´t work in industry really care about it tbh

And reviews will came out normally, so it´s fine

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Like the average person on the street probably doesn't know what the WGA is, let alone a strike. And a strike is very unlikely to happen.

It is the opposite. It is very likely to happen. With the rise of AI which poses a threat to writers and the increasing workload which has not been accompanied by an increased pay, writers have had enough.

8 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

All I can say about that Voiceover/Radio Comms trailer is that ANYONE who moaned about The Marvels being "cringe" or looking "goofy" or "MCU-Humour" who doesn't respond the same to that is being very selective in what they choose to find funny and what they choose to be antagonistic towards.

I'm sure it's selective and has been chosen because it's a self-contained joke but boy that doesn't represent the film well at all, and especially not at a time when people are sensitive to the overuse of both humour and green screens.

But then it doesn't have Brie Larson, and instead might have people they like in so maybe certain demographics will suddenly find mediocre jokes funny again. 

I can’t wait until we can have actual conversations about certain films rather than over correcting for a toxic minority of people. Captain Marvel is a flawed but fun film, but I’ve never heard massive complaints about its humour so not sure where that’s coming from.

• Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It’s really film dependent. NWH marketing was genius as they knew what they were playing to (the whole ‘Tom watches the trailer and acts weird’ is a bit) but then Ant Man basically gave away most of the plot that non-fans can easily work out what will happen in the film.

Endgame trailer I still think is terrible but it made the billions so who cares.

Trailers need to focus on tone but increasingly they need to give a sense of action - problem for Marvel is a lot of their action is not visually ‘great’ though that’s not often the case for Guardians. It’s what I really like about The Marvels trailer, it’s heavily focused on the real world, there’s CG but people ant standing on a flat sound stage but proper sets. The action actually looks watchable rather than the gibberish of Thor/Ant Man.

guardians marketing hasn’t shown much action. Mostly emotion which I think is over selling towards a smaller fan audience personally.

1 hour ago, elzorro said:

It is the opposite. It is very likely to happen. With the rise of AI which poses a threat to writers and the increasing workload which has not been accompanied by an increased pay, writers have had enough.

That does not mean an actual strike happening is likely. If anything more support for a strike makes a strike less likely to happen since it'll be taken more seriously.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Like the average person on the street probably doesn't know what the WGA is, let alone a strike. And a strike is very unlikely to happen.

Right now it looks if the chances of a strike happening are alot higher then it not happening.

Agreed the average person does not know about the WGA, but they will feel the impact of a lengthy strike when their favoirte TV shows have a lot fewer episoded next season.

But I don't get what this has to do with GOTG 3 which is in the can.

I realy doubt it's going to end with a sad tone. It's hinted someone dies, ok, and the trailers suggest there will be very emotional, but I am quite sure the end of the trilogy will try to be satisfying.

I think that Guardians of the Galaxy marketing always should focus on the dinamics between the group. It is the strongest value of the saga, IMHO.

• Like 1

I was looking at the tracking data, but, didn't want to comment there to avoid muddying that thread.

We're two weeks out, and things continue to stagnate. Last week, there was some discussion in that thread, and the possibility of a sub $100M opener. General consensus was that it's too early to focus on that scenario, with the biggest hope would be that this follows the Thor L&T patterns, but, since that point, GOTG3 has been trending down a bit from that.

We'll be getting reviews next week which will be the biggest variable. But, my suspicion is that outside of extremes, it's not going to change the trajectory too much. It feels like we're looking at a Thursday preview in the $15-17M range, and a multiplier around the 6.5-7.0 mark. That takes it to a something in the $105-120M range. Basically, we're firmly in Antman Quantamania range, but assuming a fairly standard reception. It's already lagging Antman, so if it had that type of reception, then dropping below $100M seems possible.

28 minutes ago, vafrow said:

We're two weeks out, and things continue to stagnate. Last week, there was some discussion in that thread, and the possibility of a sub $100M opener.

That would be such fun, but I can’t see it. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • ...wtf 1