franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

Warners will be eathcing this closely both becuase they have pretty much put the future of hte DCU in Gunn's hands, if if despite a very good reception, it still underperorms it does not bode well for "The Flash"; GA CBM burnout is a real problem.

Yeah critical reception here in Brazil is astonishing, just like the reviews from europeans 

Weirdly enough, US critics seems like the only ones so far less enthusiastic, but the fact that reactions are so strong bodes well for the audiences i suppose 

With 5 more reviews added, the movie is back to 67 on Metacritic with 47 reviews

It´s now with the same grade of Wakanda Forever, and just 1 point shy of Guardiasn 2 and IW 

It´s doing really good on MC i would say, very close to what everyone expected 

Rotten otherwise is the place where the slightly divisive aspect is showing up more clearly and is under expectations, but still at 78% with 130 reviews and 7.1 average, shouldn´t change much at this point 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrinceRico said:

Since it seems to be underperforming everywhere what are realistic total goals for this movie. I thought 600 would be the target even though that is bad but I don’t know now. 

I'm having a hard time seeing anything more than 700m.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I'm having a hard time seeing anything more than 700m.

The problem is this movie is going to get hit hard by Fast X, The Little Mermaid, Spider Man and so on so it has two weeks to make as much as it can and with tracking coming on low in the states and Overseas I don’t see headlines being pretty.

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would ignore trades on OS projections. I am curious what @charlie Jatinder thinks. It looks like opening below Ant 3 in many markets. I dont think Ant 3 opened day and date in Japan and this will open during Golden Week. So there is some help. But overall I see it open below Ant 3 OS OW. Legs let us wait and see. 

Asia softer than Ant Man 3, though holiday and better WOM may help. Western markets should be higher.

$120-130M seems about right.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Warners will be eathcing this closely both becuase they have pretty much put the future of hte DCU in Gunn's hands, if if despite a very good reception, it still underperorms it does not bode well for "The Flash"; GA CBM burnout is a real problem.

IDK if its burn out, I would say it is a quality and freshness angle. Flash will be very revealing either way 

14 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It would be embarrassing for it to open below LOVE AND THUNDER. Reviews are encouraging, so it might not fall as badly as decent MCU films and might carve out a respectable run. DS, THOR, WAKANDA, AM all collapsed after their OW. 

I honestly don't see it beating Love and Thunder in any scenario: opening weekend, domestic and worldwide. Domestic total is the only one remotely possible IMO, but I highly doubt this is doing close to 3x legs.

Have just seen this. My early thoughts.

● This is the biggest film since ENDGAME. The visual effects were also some of the most beautiful from Marvel.

● Having said that, I don't consider this the best since ENDGAME. That is still NO WAY HOME. This comes second.

● There was so much heart here. So much heart. I also liked that everyone had the time to shine. I can't believe Gunn was able to do that.

● The humor was a hit or a miss. I guess it really boils down to the type of thing that makes you laugh. But for those that made me laugh, I couldn't stop laughing. I had to control myself because I didn't want to disturb the others. 😂

● The action sequences here were amazing, thanks to Gunn's amazing camerawork. There was this one action scene which I thought is one of the best from Marvel. It was crazy.

● I was kinda disappointed by Adam Warlock. The way he was depicted here was not like what I had imagined him. I'm basing my knowledge of him from my Marvel cards before. 😅 I now wonder what's next for the character.

● I thought this concluded well. You can't say that about all comic book trilogies or even movie trilogies in general.

I hope this does well at the box office.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 15
  • Heart 1