Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

WTF? She actually makes sense. Right age and already dyed her hair red for another part. Doesn't have to reach for the bottle like all those other young actresses that are undoubtedly going to try for the part. 

To paraphrase Lethal Weapon 2...

"But she's black"

Lmao virtually every theater is sold out here for the whole afternoon. It can potentially big the biggest OW here since Summer 2015. Curious to see the numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

After the right wing nuts bashed Avatar, neo nazis bashed TFA and RO and the fundies attacked the gayness of BatB, I'm more confident than ever that these people have zero impact on box office.

If anything pissing them off improves your chances of making the all-time top ten DOM list. :P

Maybe. :P

But I think the alt-right and their "boycotting" doesn't have the same effect as the more liberal crowd calling something out for being potentially racist and misrepresenting a culture does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Kong

Domestic:  $110,125,294    42.5%
Foreign:  $149,200,000    57.5%

Worldwide:  $259,325,294  

100m more from current markets, 100m from China and Japan will take it to 500m. 

Yep.  It'll have solid legs.  Maybe has a shot of passing Godzilla WW.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs adjusted absolutely destorys Lion King.

I can play your game too.

Adjusted is a bad way to compare movies.

Lmao, the people who fanboyed and fangirled over Snow White's original run are all dead. :rofl:

Lion King is another story. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Actually, it's barely ahead in tickets sold domestically unless you count re-releases and even then there's less distance between Lion King and Snow White and Frozen and Lion King. 

From BOM: Domestic Ticket estimates

Frozen:   49,041,000 tickets

Lion King:  74,624,400  tickets ( 89,146,400  with re-releases)

Snow White:  77,471,100 (109m with re-reelases)

When I made the comment about Frozen, I wasn't talking about how big its box office was. Frozen was more than just it's box office run. It was and somehow still is a cultural phenomenon. 20 years from now if someone were to analyze Frozen's success simply based on it's box office, they'd completely miss just how big it was. 

• Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

To paraphrase Lethal Weapon 2...

"But she's black"

There've been rumors they are going to open a color blind casting call. Ariel isn't a role where public has specific actress in mind that they have to get her or bust. Not the Jolie/Watson situation. We'll see. But, yeha, that was the rumor, that Ariel may not be white since that's not imperative for the role (mermaid can be anything).

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

So why is this her first successful starring vehicle?

I am not sure with what you mean by saying "starring vehicle".

But, when we are calling about a "big" actor/actress we are talking about how recognizable and generally powerful the name of the actor/tress is. Emma is definetely one of the biggest names in the biz starring in one ofthe biggest (If not the biggest) franchise ever. Her strong social media presence proves how big she is (She has nearly double J Laws likes on Facebook).

Asking about why she wasnt previously successful before this and after HP I guess a huge factor was that she played movies that the GA was massively unaware of. 

No matter how much a person likes the actor/tress the movie must help a bit in order to give his money.

Edited by FantasticBeasts