Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

I mean if her hair is red that's fine, but if they cast someone who is not a natural redhead because that's the best actor for the role that matters a hell of alot more. You know what's easier to market than someone's hair color? A good movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, TelemAAchos said:

If she was cast and shown on-screen with her natural hair color (with mermaid tail, etc) do you think people wouldn't know and accept her? Would the movie make less money because outraged people refuse to see it, since her hair wasn't red? (A precious few might, probably far fewer than those who refused to see BATB cuz of the gay component.)

I'm not saying it'll make less BO bc of no red hair. I just don't see why it needs to be changed in the first place (or at least not too drastically)

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

Switching from animation to live action requires so many real world changes that something like forcing a real-life hair color change is incredibly minor. If they chose to do so, there's no real creative decision behind the choice, it's a sheerly corporate decision based on fear that your audience is so unbelievably dumb that they wouldn't see your movie because the heroine had a slightly different color of hair. 

No, I don't agree......

It's more about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Just now, franfar said:

I'm not saying it'll make less BO bc of no red hair. I just don't see why it needs to be changed in the first place (or at least not too drastically)

No, I don't agree......

It's more about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Maybe they cast someone for the role who doesn't have red hair and would look bad with dyed red hair. And if that person is the best person for the role, they just sacrificed what matters to make a carbon copy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe they cast someone for the role who doesn't have red hair and would look bad with dyed red hair. And if that person is the best person for the role, they just sacrificed what matters to make a carbon copy. 

They're likely going to CGI the hair red during the underwater sequences anyway. . . so it'll be perfectly fine.

I really do think the mermaids will end up being fully CGI/motion capture or VERY CGI-enhanced.

Wow. Not a strong enough word, but as close to encompassing my feelings after watching the movie. Casting was perfection, visuals were stunning (especially "Be Our Guest"), they picked the right tone for the movie and it had a great flow from start to finish. It's been a long time since I've felt that good after seeing a film in theaters. I absolutely loved it, a completely faithful adaptation. 10/10 A+ the perfect movie, which is what I rated the original too coincidentally.

On the box office side holy shit! I had a feeling it would be big around the 100-120m range, but 170m? That's incredible. This movie deserves every last penny. Disney does it again and hits yet another one out of the park. I'm loving this.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

I christen this, The Great Hair Debate

I don't give a shit about Ariel's hair or The Little Mermaid but it's indicative of a larger debate about blockbuster movies and how nostalgia makes money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't a "good enough" redhead/hair dye actress out there to play her. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I christen this, The Great Hair Debate

Eh. Just go to any Superhero casting discussion and this kind of thing is de rigueur. That and which wrestler to cast.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 4

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I don't give a shit about Ariel's hair or The Little Mermaid but it's indicative of a larger debate about blockbuster movies and how nostalgia makes money. 

The core debate started over hair color though which you have to admit is somewhat amusing.

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't a "good enough" redhead/hair dye actress out there to play her. 

I'm sure there is, but why not cast the best actor you possibly can? Why does the hair matter so much? It's not the original. The goal should to make the best movie possible while giving people their money's worth, not just an easy paint by numbers movie to appeal to Disney nostalgia. 

• Like 1