Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Who cares what color a character's hair is? Literally, if that's the standard what makes someone like or not like a character, I don't even know if I can post about some of these movies anymore, because clearly there's two different ideas of what movies should be, and I seem to be in the losing, pretentious one. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why not just give Han Solo frosted tips while you're at, you crazy person!?!?!

No but seriously, nostalgia is based primarily on recognition.

For 99% of people, Ariel is synonymous with red head mermaid.

Yes, it's shallow, craven, and driven off financial decisions, not creative ones... but at least they could put some basic effort into it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Who cares what color a character's hair is? Literally, if that's the standard what makes someone like or not like a character, I don't even know if I can post about some of these movies anymore, because clearly there's two different ideas of what movies should be, and I seem to be in the losing, pretentious one. 

We're not living in a post-hair color society yet, dude.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Good god, that's putting the bar so incredibly low.

Not really. Why change things for the sake of change?

• Like 2

Beauty and the Beast was fine. It was a mostly technically accomplished, entertaining while it lasts rendition that I have forgotten about after the five minute drive home. It was just creatively vapid. Sure, it's fine to have one or two a year. But if we get to the point where every movie is either a technically well-made remake or an expanded universe jaunt designed to introduce a new orb for characters to fight over, eventually alot of people are gonna start throwing up their hands. I know that if you dare say that you'll get 100 responses calling you a "snob" and pointing to releases like this to prove how stupid I am. There's been alot of good movies this year, when studios are still willing to take risks because it isn't their big main blockbusters, but I'm already kinda dreading everything from now until September with the exception of a couple movies. IDK. It just feels creatively bankrupt. If you think movies are just supposed to be a bunch of fun scenes that entertain people for an hour and then make money, then great. That's a fine way to look at it. That's not how I see it. I think they can be really truly terrific stuff and still entertain plenty of people and make lots of money. You just need to try. That's why even though that Valerian movie looks completely vapid to me I'm still rooting for it. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

Box office runs like Beauty and the Beast are fun to watch because of just how crazy the numbers can get. But amid all this money, studios shouldn't forget about the Hidden Figures and Get Outs and La La Lands of the industry - just because BatB outgrossed all of them on opening weekend doesn't mean their successes are any less important.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

25-jennifer-lawrence-directs.w529.h529.jAnd if Watson's casting as Belle taugh as anything then Ariel should also come easy to the casting directors (although this one requires some wild imagination on your part to even begin to accept it)

This is a joke, right?

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Box office runs like Beauty and the Beast are fun to watch because of just how crazy the numbers can get. But amid all this money, studios shouldn't forget about the Hidden Figures and Get Outs and La La Lands of the industry - just because BatB outgrossed all of them on opening weekend doesn't mean their successes are any less important.

Nor should they forget the Splits like you did :redcapes: 

• Like 2