Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Btw if @Rth and the Beast numbers hold then this is heading for a finish above TDK's DOM total.People thought it would be frontloaded but it's playing like a family film that opened to normal numbers.

I want that to happen, but you would have to wait to see weekend drops before making that prediction.

As mentioned, if $50 million is the floor for Beauty's Sunday gross, then it's looking at a $177+ million weekend.

If so, this is kind of funny because back when Deadline had first posted Friday numbers they projected a weekend gross of $177 million for Beauty, and at that time in this thread many posters were slamming Deadline for being "crazy" and incorrectly projecting the weekend, and that the weekend gross would be much lower.

I mean, I get it, Deadline is often wrong, but it's funny looking back. :P

All in all, terrific weekend for Beauty.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 13

On 11/30/2016 at 0:16 AM, Arlborn said:

Such low numbers, pff, weaklings.

Let's see, nostalgic and/or pent-up demand? Lately we've had:

Jurassic World - $208,806,270 

BVS - $166,007,347

TFA - $247,966,675

Finding Dory -  $135,060,273

Then there's:

The Jungle Book - $103,261,464

Cinderella - $67,877,361

Maleficent - $69,431,298

Right OK, it's definitely not going the Cinderella/Maleficent route, not with the level of interest its trailers and news are pulling. I'm pretty sure Finding Dory's numbers are literally the floor for this. That one banked big on nostalgia and won.

Then there's the BVS case for pent-up demand. That one collapsed quite heavily during the weekend itself though due to the film not being what the GA expected and it missing 30 minutes. Still, I feel that around that OW is a good and cautious bet for this one, just with a more balanced OW.

And finally we have the unspeakable, JW and TFA, where all the nostalgic stars aligned. Discard over 200m OW at your own peril, just remember how some of you were laughing at JW's prospects just up until a few days before it opened. Nostalgia can get you pretty damn far these days, specially considering how many generations watched and love the Beauty and the Beast. There's also the fact that Belle was perfectly cast from a marketing point of view to bring in younger people.

My conclusion? I'm gonna go somewhere between BVS and those two juggernauts and say it does 177.5M OW.

21m Previews - 75m OD - 58.5m Saturday - 44m Sunday

I should make a club or something.

Well, nice to be proven right.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Well, nice to be proven right.

I was gonna point this out. It's a great prediction. This is coming in too high for my liking though. I don't think I'll be getting one of those gift cards anymore.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I remember that my mom bluntly told me how sex works when I was 4 after I said "where do babies come from?"  She just said "a man stick his penis into a girl's vagina."  I was confused and I asked if that's what they did while they were kissing at their wedding :ph34r:.

Just catching up on the thread now. I was like 5 and THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I ASKED TOO

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm meh on BATB, but Evermore is a fucking fantastic song.

maybe this works better in the film i know he's the beast and all but dude's still singing like he's got a mouthful of cereal.

If BatB can do 167-178M opening weekend and Jungle Book can do 104M, I would say  (as long as the marketing is good, and Aladdin isn't botched like the King Arthur marketing, also assuming quality is at least decent-to-good)

Mulan can do 90-100 OW

Dumbo could do 60-70 OW

Aladdin could do 120M+ OW

Lion King 200+

I honestly think these live action remakes have gotten more traction over the past year, and audiences trust them more. I honestly think if Cinderella were released say next year it could have done 80M+

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

maybe this works better in the film i know he's the beast and all but dude's still singing like he's got a mouthful of cereal.

It's one of the only moments of characterization in the film. I didn't care for his singing in Something There, but it works here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I want this to beat Civil War just to see DC and Marvel fanboys coming together to bitch.

I'm a huge Marvel and DC fan and I'd love it! The box office record lists need some fresh blood, not just Star Wars and superheroes. 

• Like 1