WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

And then you always have a few guys like clockwork on the whole "Well, I know a black guy who doesn't think this is a problem!" thing and hoisting him up as the voice of every non-white person around the world. 

@Lordmandeep get in here fam

• Like 4

Oh please. GITS's critical and so far box office performance (based on deadline's numbers) has little to do with the so called white washing. For every critic who may have pointed it out, you have twenty calling the film mediocre and just not very good except from a visual perspective.

Bottom line is folks just weren't that interested in seeing Scarlett Johansson run around in a naked body suit. Add to the fact that the film is apparently mediocre and this is why you've got a $110Mfilm chilling at 43% on RT and a $23M opening. 

It's nothing more and nothing less than that. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I agree. Change everything of the setting and make it American, that would definitely help for sure. You will have fans of the anime yelling but that is a small minority.

i've said this 100 times and i get "noooo ghost in the shell needs to be set in japan that's so important to it it's a cultural story" nonsense every fucking time. like that shit can't be changed. a) that's not even the case and 2) (i've switched from letters to numbers because i get the B) emoji with b ).) it can totally be changed even if it was the case fellas. like american cinema has remade enough kurosawa films with cowboys and shit and that shit mostly fucking worked.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Random thought, don't yell at me. 

if a movie takes place in japan, has an all japnesse cast why would you film it in english with Japanese american actors? if I was in japan why I want to see that? Japan has 400 local films a year, I'm sure they would rather see thier HOME country do that version.

Do americans wanna see a movie made with white poeple from Japan taking place in america where everyone speaks Japanese? Would that sell? If america is going to make it, why not make it american

Also unlike movies in Japan, this movie isn't for Japan, its for the world. So why not make a world cast? Not to mention Scar is just the biggest female box office star 

Co-worker is a huge fan of the original, but has largely boycotted this one due to the whitewashing. I sent her this, and she honestly changed her mind pretty quickly :lol:

"WOOOOAH MY ENTIRE BRAIN JUST EXPLODED FROM READING THAT"

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Ps: No we don't need "activist" social justice warriors behind their keyboards playing the PC police. These people are the scum of the earth. There's nothing worse than a fucking social justice warrior making a big issue out of everything and trying to instigate 1984 in reality. People are sick of their bullshit! 

If you think there's nothing worse than a social justice warrior, I'd suggest reading the daily news. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Alli said:

I have not seen GITS, but maybe if they changed the location to US, critics wouldn't be too bitchy about it.

I'm sure the US critics wouldn't be too bitchy about it if it had a strong story, characterization, and thematic development. :ph34r:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have not seen GITS, but maybe if they changed the location to US, critics wouldn't be so bitchy about it.

I might add, they did this with The Hunger Games   and they were a huge success with critics and audiences...

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I'm sure the US critics wouldn't be too bitchy about it if it had a strong story, characterization, and thematic development. :ph34r:

Sausage Party has 83% on RT so.....

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Nah BvS had themes for decades and so much characterization and it still got torn apart, critics are just hacks

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

DBZ is one of the most popular anime's of all time.

If C-listers GotG and Deadpool can break out, so could a well executed DBZ movie.

LMAO!! You can't compare the superhero adaptations to the popular anime like DBZ.

Is anyone calling the Departed and the Ring whitewashed? Nah, because they actually changed it and told an appropriate story. GITS they said "Okay, we're gonna keep an Asian supporting cast, have characters dress in Japanese attire and represent Japanese culture, set it in Tokyo, get the whole Asian experience in there for ya.....but hold up, audiences can't handle this without a white person lead. They need their adventure in Japanese culture with a side of white people." Set this shit in Boston or L.A. and change the stylings to fit and no one would be complaining. Instead, they made what apparently amounts to a shot-by-shot remake of a Japanese movie and Ctrl+V'ed a white lady in as the lead. Now, it'd still probably be a bad, empty movie, but the justifications for the bad reviews would be the opposite.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 7