WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

March 2017 just keeps getting stronger  

1. Beauty & the Beast: $505 million 
  2. Logan: $230 million 
  3. The Boss Baby: $180 million (with a similar OW as Home) 
  4. Kong - Skull Island: $175 million (stronger-than-expected legs)
  5. Power Rangers: $90 million 
  6. The Shack: $55 million 
  7. Ghost in the Shell: $45 million 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zackzack said:

4 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Now we're going to see if GITS will also flop in Japan. If it does, people can offically say that casting Scarlett was a terrible idea.

It is not a terrible idea. It's just that the original anime character is so darkly contemplative, lotsa Blade Runner-esque soul-searching.

But bottom line: The reason why GiTS is opening in the 20s instead of high 30s is not because of

Scarlett, the setting, the ethnic issues etc, it is just Hollywood has already remade GitS with tons of mecha

anime mixed in with HK martial-arts with far more success : The Matrix Trilogy. 

That's not what I was trying to say. They wanted Scarlett obviously because they wanted to please the US audience, but that comes with the possible cost of not pleasing the Japanese audience as nearly much as casting an Japanese actress would do, and of cause Japan is supposed to be a major market for this film. So, IF this flops in Japan as well, one can say that casting Scarlett did nothing good.

Edited by vc2002

The funny thing with Dreamworks at Fox, is that the originals did more impressive at the DOM-box office than the sequels.

Originals:

Croods = $187M (43M OW)

Home = $177.3M (52M OW)

Trolls = $153M (46M OW)

Sequels

HTTYD2 = $177.0M (49M OW)

KFP3 = $143M (41M OW)

It seems that some of the originals surprises in a good way at the box office....while the sequels does lower than expected at the box office.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I'm hyped about Wonder Woman.

Not for the movie but the fall out.

Either DCEU recovers or the internet is going to implode because the movie sucks and flops.

Recovers from what? Warner would be thrilled if WW "sucks and flops" like Suicide Squad.

If Kong does 9m for 148m like Deadline says then 165 is locked.

Future weekends could be 5 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1.5 (rest including dollar bump) = 12.5

Rest of the weekdays will come to about 8.5 (using last week's weekday-weekend ratio)

148 + 12.5 + 8.5 = 169

I think it will do 170-175 for about 2.8-2.85x multiplier.

Edited by a2knet

Sorry guys that was my bad. All of these acronyms are starting to play with my vision LOL

BB

BaTB

Got confused for a minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So list of actors with star power just got smaller.

Scratch off ScarJo.

That just leaves Denzel and Dicaprio.

Lmao, is that it?

JLaw brought $300m to an original sci-fi movie that received terrible reviews, and faced competition from a $1B grosser. 

6 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Now we're going to see if GITS will also flop in Japan. If it does, people can offically say that casting Scarlett was a terrible idea.

Or that making a bad movie that shits on the source material while not adapting it properly for the present was a bad idea.

• Like 1

I think BATB can still get to 50 without needing extraordinary holds on Sat and Sun.

13 + 21.5 (+65%) + 15.5 (-28%) = 50

Last weekend the Sat bump was 62.2% and Sunday drop was 25.5%.

If BB behaves like HOME over Sat and Sun then it gets to a 50.7 weekend.

But HOME had smaller previews so calculating from true Friday BB would end up a little below 50 if it holds like HOME.

I wouldn't count out BATB winning the weekend.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

I'd still say JLaw is a certified draw, even if her biggest hits have mostly come from brands that would've done well even without her. Joy wouldn't have done nearly as much as it did with someone else in the role given the "busted Oscar bait" status it eventually picked up, and Passengers would've been dumped in late August or on Labor Day weekend without the presence of her and Pratt and disappeared quietly into the night.

• Like 3