kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

8 minutes ago, Squire said:

The outrage at Marvel/superhero movie critiques is selective. Denis Villeneuve made some minor criticism in 2021 and he turned into Enemy #1. James Cameron did the same last year and most people were like “Okay.” 

What? CBM fans hates Cameron for years since he attacked both DC and Marvel 

Marvel fans to this day believes he decided to release Avatar in China again just to dethrone EndGame because he hates popular movies lol

People didn’t mind last year because these days most people agreed, just like we hardly see people attacking Scorsese these days 

But in 2021 all Scorsese, Cameron, Villeneuve etc was hated by these loud groups

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

The only people who give a crap about Scorsese’s Marvel comments in 2023 are people who are way too online (basically, us). 

Little to no one is gonna watch the trailer and be like “well I think this looks interesting but the director doesn’t like Ant-Man so I’m not seeing it.”

• Like 4

Based on the Cannes reviews, this movie a legit threat to Oppenheimer at the Oscars for the big awards. 

At the BO, I don’t see this making much. International appeal will be low, even with Leo starring. I’m thinking $150M WW max. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t believe how much of an impact Marty’s Marvel comments made. Criticizing Marvel back in 2019 was apparently sacrilege. 

Who cares about the ill-feeling of bunch of fanboys in a loosen skin? They are small, insignificant and uncultured. 

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Who cares about the ill-feeling of bunch of fanboys in a loosen skin? They are small, insignificant and uncultured. 

I don't agree with Scorsese's Marvel comments, but the overreaction by the Marvel fanboys was incredibly silly.

Problem with fanboys is they are not nearly as powerful and influential as they like to think they are.

Edited by dudalb

6 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Scorsese never misses. 

That is just plain wrong, both from a business and artistic point of view.

And I think Scorsese is the best director working today.

But nobody bats a 1000 .

Edited by dudalb

For me Scorsese's never made a total dud, unless we go way back to stuff like Boxcar Bertha or Who's That Knocking on My Door. Even his less successful films feature such craftmanship/ideas that I just can't write them off completely.

Spielberg is a bit like that too, although he does have some stinkers (The BFG, Ready Player One - and sue me but I enjoy 1941). So many of his "lesser" movies - the Alwayses, the Terminals, etc... are elevated because he's so damn good with a movie camera.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think the box office potential will all come down to how much Paramount/Apple actually pushes this vs. just putting it out in theaters as a solid to Marty, suddenly shifting to a global theatrical release on the same day (probably because they've accepted Leo, etc. won't be doing any new press for this) does make me pause a bit. Delaying likely wasn't an option either. If they are able to drum up interest in a 3.5 hour drama set 100 years ago without the immediate big screen spectacle of something like Oppenheimer, at a time when the multiplex is going to be especially barren, it should be able to stand out and stick around for a while, depending on how long they're planning on it being theatrical exclusive.

TBH even if there wasn't a SAG strike, Leo barely does promo for his own movies. 

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think people have forgotten the rave reviews this movie got out of Cannes. Because of that, I think people expecting Oppenheimer to clean up during awards season are making a mistake. I think it’s the best chance for Nolan to win BD and BP, but you can never discount Marty!

Edited by Squire

31 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah this might get Irishman'd. 10+ nominations and no wins. Scorsese and Spielberg are the same where they can put out a great work but there's no passion or incentive to reward them anymore.  

The draw of Leo might counteract that though

This seems both more outwardly emotional and more logistically impressive/showy than The Irishman so I think it stands a better chance at winning something. Gladstone is the most obvious contender, production design (Jack Fisk is an industry legend who's never won) and adapted screenplay are also possibilities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squire said:

I think people have forgotten the rave reviews this movie got out of Cannes. Because of that, I think people expecting Oppenheimer to clean up during awards season are making a mistake. I think it’s the best chance for Nolan to win BD and BP, but you can never discount Marty!

A lot of people here have problems dealing with any movie that is not a "geek"  movie.

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This seems both more outwardly emotional and more logistically impressive/showy than The Irishman so I think it stands a better chance at winning something. Gladstone is the most obvious contender, production design (Jack Fisk is an industry legend who's never won) and adapted screenplay are also possibilities.

I agree, with the proviso that I loved "The Irishman".