kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

1 hour ago, Squire said:

I think people have forgotten the rave reviews this movie got out of Cannes. Because of that, I think people expecting Oppenheimer to clean up during awards season are making a mistake. I think it’s the best chance for Nolan to win BD and BP, but you can never discount Marty!

This site has a lot of Nolan fanboys. That is going to skew the threads toward favoriing Nolan.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

This site has a lot of Nolan fanboys. That is going to skew the threads toward favoriing Nolan.

And detractors as well. Where Oppenheimer has it going is its critically raved, Huge box office, and is about a critical point in history. Plus Scorsese has been awarded multiple times. Still its a formidable competitor which I expect to do well box office as well(though wont do anywhere near Oppenheimer)

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

This seems both more outwardly emotional and more logistically impressive/showy than The Irishman so I think it stands a better chance at winning something. Gladstone is the most obvious contender, production design (Jack Fisk is an industry legend who's never won) and adapted screenplay are also possibilities.

it is not beating poor things or barbie for production design lmfao

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Poor Things says Hi. 

I don't see Poor Things (which is my most anticipated film for the remainder of the year...though technically I am not getting it until january) sweeping the oscars. It's an overall very raunchy films and that will certainly lose it support with a certain branch of the academy.

I can see it get some awards though, maybe Stone swoops in for another oscar.

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't see Poor Things (which is my most anticipated film for the remainder of the year...though technically I am not getting it until january) sweeping the oscars. It's an overall very raunchy films and that will certainly lose it support with a certain branch of the academy.

I can see it get some awards though, maybe Stone swoops in for another oscar.

True though stranger things happened than a raunchy movie winning. The Weight of Water had graphic sex scene with a fishman so AMPAS isn't that put off by sex and nudity. Agreed that Stone looks like a winner.

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Hasn't it been like 20 years since a movie won Best Picture and made more than $150 mil domestic?

Yep the last one was ROTK. I opened Best Picture boxoffice and it's very interesting how boxoffice factor diminished.

1997 Titanic 600M+

1998 Shakespeare in Love 100M

1999 American Beauty 130M

2000 Gladiator 187M

2001 A Beautiful Mind 170M

2002 Chicago 170M

2003 ROTK 378M

2004 Million Dollar Baby 100M

and then the over 100M steak got broken and after that it was less frequent and then movies passing that amount stopped winning altogether. 

At this point, Oppenheimer is a favorite to win probably any category in which it is nominated, but I don’t expect a sweep. 

Given the BO success of the film and the likely narrative that it is “Nolan’s time”, it’s hard to imagine how Oppenheimer doesn’t win director and picture. Actor, too, plus most of the technical awards.

However, KotFM’s subject matter will likely have a lot of appeal to voters, so I can envision supporting actor/actress, cinematography, and screenplay awards as real possibilities. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Yep the last one was ROTK. I opened Best Picture boxoffice and it's very interesting how boxoffice factor diminished.

1997 Titanic 600M+

2000 Gladiator 187M

2002 Chicago 170M

2003 ROTK 378M

and then the over 100M steak got broken and after that it was less frequent and then movies passing that amount stopped winning altogether. 

I don't think Shakespeare in Love and MDB should be in the list because they weren't the 100m movie at the point of time when they won Best Picture. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The last Best Picture winner to clear $100 million domestically was Argo. 

yep long time ago. 

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think Shakespeare in Love and MDB should be in the list because they weren't the 100m movie at the point of time when they won Best Picture. 

Fair point but I only had IMDB List to go with. Nevertheless, over 100M grossing winners were almost a norm back in the late 90s early aughts and then it changed.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

1997 Titanic 600M+

2000 Gladiator 187M

2002 Chicago 170M

2003 ROTK 378M

The late legs on BP winners used to be crazy but then in the 2010s studios started stacking awards seasons with more and more blockbusters and then streaming rose, making OTT the choice for most people to catch awards fare on.

The Shape of Water and Everything Everywhere All At Once especially are films that would have passed 100M if they had come out in previous decades. Maybe even Parasite.

• ...wtf 1

43 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The late legs on BP winners used to be crazy but then in the 2010s studios started stacking awards seasons with more and more blockbusters and then streaming rose, making OTT the choice for most people to catch awards fare on.

The Shape of Water and Everything Everywhere All At Once especially are films that would have passed 100M if they had come out in previous decades. Maybe even Parasite.

Can't believe you left out GB. 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ah so that explains why oscar bump is muted now. Also I see I mistitled The Shape of Water The Weight of Water ha ha I think there's something called that too.

16 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

And detractors as well. Where Oppenheimer has it going is its critically raved, Huge box office, and is about a critical point in history. Plus Scorsese has been awarded multiple times. Still its a formidable competitor which I expect to do well box office as well(though wont do anywhere near Oppenheimer)

Scorsese has one Oscar. 

• Thanks 1