kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

the arc for every streaming service is they start by appealing to the auteurs and acting like patrons of the arts and they end just making dwanye johnson and ryan reynolds movies.

When should we expect Mubi to complete this arc?

Streaming services see everything as “content” at the end of the day, which is definitely a cynical approach to storytelling, but unfortunately, they’re basically the only ones that are still willing to give filmmakers like Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott a chance. 

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the arc for every streaming service is they start by appealing to the auteurs and acting like patrons of the arts and they end just making dwanye johnson and ryan reynolds movies.

Apple is already moving in that direction. In a few months when you’re scrolling through movies on Apple TV+, Ghosted starring Chris Evans and Ana de Armas will be sitting in between KOTFM and Napoleon.

4 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Apple is already moving in that direction. In a few months when you’re scrolling through movies on Apple TV+, Ghosted starring Chris Evans and Ana de Armas will be sitting in between KOTFM and Napoleon.

Apple seems to be going the opposite it seems. KOTFM and Napoleon are being marketed as  theatrical events and Killers at least  is going to be a major Oscar contender.  They could have pulled a Ghosted with Argyle and dumped it straight to streaming but Universal came onboard after test screenings which i would assume were good.  And they got a few other big to medium budget movies they will test and see if studios are up for coming aboard. They are far from being Netflix.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Will it, though? We're living in a world in which Suits actively sits in Netflix's top 10. Who the heck even knows what's going to have staying power these days?

Is the Suits obsession a Meghan Markle thing? I can see ppl starting it to check out her acting skills and then staying because it is exactly that kind of habitual viewing that ppl get hooked onto.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Is the Suits obsession a Meghan Markle thing? I can see ppl starting it to check out her acting skills and then staying because it is exactly that kind of habitual viewing that ppl get hooked onto.

Suits was already a big show long before the Markle Harry stuff. It's a multi season episodic show with a shit ton of episodes, which are always at the top of streaming lists. Office, Friends, etc. Which is why when the industry realizes making everything 10 episodes with 3 seasons and super serialized isn't sustainable it'll be great

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Suits was already a big show long before the Markle Harry stuff. It's a multi season episodic show with a shit ton of episodes, which are always at the top of streaming lists. Office, Friends, etc. Which is why when the industry realizes making everything 10 episodes with 3 seasons and super serialized isn't sustainable it'll be great

That seems a bit over the top to me. Suits was a decently successful tv-show that had a long run. It was nowhere close to the big shows of its day, or at any point a "hit" really, certainly not to any degree that would suggest it would blow up on streaming in such a way.

There are plenty of shows with similar or better audience numbers - which really are a far cry from something like The Office, which in itself was not crazy big of a show either (audience numbers, not pop-culture influence) - which never got anywhere near those sort of streaming numbers.

Edited by George Parr

Suits has become a streaming hit precisely because it's the kind of show that you can watch in the background without fully needing to pay attention to each episode like, say, a prestigious HBO series does. For all the handwringing over programming becoming "content" with no greater ambitions designed to boost the streaming numbers, sometimes that's exactly what sells to the average subscriber.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Suits has become a streaming hit precisely because it's the kind of show that you can watch in the background without fully needing to pay attention to each episode like, say, a prestigious HBO series does. For all the handwringing over programming becoming "content" with no greater ambitions designed to boost the streaming numbers, sometimes that's exactly what sells to the average subscriber.

Yep. There's a reason the perennial big streaming earners are all long running episodic shows made for broadcast. Simpsons has been at the top of Disney+'s trending list since the streaming launch.

• Like 1

The funniest thing is that Suits had been (and still is) on Peacock but only blew up in the Nielsens when it hit Netflix.

I really don't get the big outrage that the quality can vary wildly with streaming original programming from Netflix/Amazon/Apple/etc. Is that really any different than how it's always been with traditional studios? When WB was trying to win awards for The Departed, was anyone freaking out that it was from the same studio that released Snow Dogs and that WB's television arm was making The Bachelor? In the aughts, there just wasn't a "MAX" type service throwing those titles all together on the same opening screen, so people thought of them more separately

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The funniest thing is that Suits had been (and still is) on Peacock but only blew up in the Nielsens when it hit Netflix.

It's been on Netflix before, but yeah I'm betting the exact second the SAG strike ends they get at least half the original cast back for a revival on Peacock

• Like 1

The only issue I have with streamers putting out auteur flicks is that it has further reduced interest in checking out "awards fare" in theatres (something I'm guilty of as well).

As much as I love the guy, it's highly disingenuous of Marty to keep scapegoating silly ole MCU for the 'death of cinema' while blowing away smoke from the main culprit that is streaming, even though it's very obvious why he's doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I feel like it's big because it appeals to all ages really, I could see a teenager and a boomer both liking the show, which isn't something you can say about a lot of them. It being on Netflix helps a lot obviously

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The only issue I have with streamers putting out auteur flicks is that it has further reduced interest in checking out "awards fare" in theatres (something I'm guilty of as well).

As much as I love the guy, it's highly disingenuous of Marty to keep scapegoating silly ole MCU for the 'death of cinema' while blowing away smoke from the main culprit that is streaming, even though it's very obvious why he's doing so.

The problem is that streaming is more or less the only option people like Scorsese have at this point. Apple got involved with KotFM because Paramount saw it as too much of a risk. Unless you’re Christopher Nolan and maybe Quentin Tarantino, it’s going to be very difficult to get funding from traditional Hollywood studios for big movies that aren’t part of a franchise. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The problem is that streaming is more or less the only option people like Scorsese have at this point. Apple got involved with KotFM because Paramount saw it as too much of a risk. Unless you’re Christopher Nolan and maybe Quentin Tarantino, it’s going to be very difficult to get funding from traditional Hollywood studios for big movies that aren’t part of a franchise. 

Jordan Peele also.

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Nolan, Tarantino, and Peele are way more responsible with their budgets. Scorsese could get a studio movie made again if he wasn’t insisting on $150+ million budgets for his recent films. (But you’re right that this is true for most auteurs. Greta Gerwig isn’t getting $100 million for a film unconnected to big IP).