grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 hours ago, Boner Omega said:

lol

I don't know why you wrote "lol." Edgar Wright has a fanbase. It's a small one at that but you can tell he has a fanbase just by looking at the preview numbers for BD and then it's OD numbers. It was frontloaded and then went away because WOM caught on. 

If youre loling at me saying it had low presales, I don't have direct access to the numbers. And the numbers aren't reported like they used to be because of what happened before. 

When BD was coming out, we were told that Baby Driver's presales weren't exactly good. 

If they were good, I wouldn't know that because that's not the information that was given to us. 

*If I remember correctly, we were told BD was doing 75% of Baywatch in presales and Baywatch didn't exactly set the world on fire in presale numbers. I don't have that number exactly because it's in the other thread, but I do remember the number not being good. 

*Edit found it. On June 26th it was reported that Baby Driver was 50% of where Baywatch was and equal to "Your Name." 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Regarding presales in general, I wouldn't be surprised if presales went down relative to how much a movie opens to. 

I think with more and more theaters adopting reserved seating, it gives people the option to not buy tickets early on and wait for the last possible second to buy tickets. Or even buy the tickets at the theater and not pay the online fee that places like Fandango charge because they see that the seats are still available. Without reserved seating, you simply don't know how many seats are left so you're forced to buy the tickets for fear of not knowing. 

*This of course is meant to be for the smaller/original not fan boy driven films. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Nut Job 2 actually reminds me of Hoodwinked 2. Who wanted this?

I never got why this ever got greenlit for anything but straight to video release...

I mean, 10% critical score, 43% audience score on RT, $64M DOM and only $120M WW (on a $42M budget) for the 1st one...

I've been saying since I heard this was being made that it was a disaster waiting to happen, even if it was better than the 1st...audiences didn't turn out in drives for the 1st, and those who dd turn out did not love or even like this movie (and yes, I was one)...

Someone should get fired for greelighting this if it opens as low as I think it can open, b/c this was not a hard call...you could have found another bunch of animated animals to make a movie with...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Regarding presales in general, I wouldn't be surprised if presales went down relative to how much a movie opens to. 

I think with more and more theaters adopting reserved seating, it gives people the option to not buy tickets early on and wait for the last possible second to buy tickets. Or even buy the tickets at the theater and not pay the online fee that places like Fandango charge because they see that the seats are still available. Without reserved seating, you simply don't know how many seats are left so you're forced to buy the tickets for fear of not knowing. 

*This of course is meant to be for the smaller/original not fan boy driven films. 

Don't really get your logic here. If anything reserved seating makes you wanna book earlier so you don't end up with a seat that sucks ass.

That's my experience, anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Not helping Nut Job 2 that it is only appearing in AMCs on Fandango though so that likely really throwing off numbers

Maybe...but here's the update for my mall theater, now down to 3 showings and 900ish seats, since it got to toss its unsold 3pm...

Still ZERO seats sold as of 7:30am Tuesday...

You'd think if you were limited in where you could see it and you wanted to see it, you'd dive in on these AMC presales...

If I'm not AMC (but I booked this movie for the weekend), I don't presell this movie Thursday b/c I have so many holdovers who will at least fill a few seats in my theater screens...

Edited by TwoMisfits

49 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Don't really get your logic here. If anything reserved seating makes you wanna book earlier so you don't end up with a seat that sucks ass.

That's my experience, anyway.

If I see that there are plenty of good seats available, I'm not gonna book early. 

Life happens and plans change. I don't want to book early, and then have to change my plans. I don't get the online fee back in my refund. But if I see that a film seems to be selling fast (like with a comic book movie) I may book early just because I know the good seats will for sure be gone. OR I can check other times/dates and just wait and go then. 

I didnt buy a single movie ticket early this summer except for SMH and WW. 

Plus with the way reserved seating is set (the recliners) there aren't really "bad" seats anymore except for the front row and those typically stay unsold regardless of the demand for the film. 

But of course, I'm projecting my personal experience on this situation so I wouldn't shocked if my train of thought isn't in line with others. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Holy Fuck! A:C is at #3 on Pulse, this thing is about to EXPLODE, TC2 only appeared on WEDNESDAY there. 

TC2 was released against bigger movies. Box office is dead right now which may help it hit Pulse early.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

We understand that you want to keep your expectations low, but we just want it to do well.

I want it to do well also, just don't want to set my sights high and then think $25 million is disappointing. It's hard to keep expectations low for IT though with people saying it could hit $200 million.

Also Warner REALLY should have put IT out this weekend. Don't understand why they never switched release dates. Maybe they're afraid if IT came first it would have satisfied the horror thirst and people would lose interest in Annabelle?

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe...but here's the update for my mall theater, now down to 3 showings and 900ish seats, since it got to toss its unsold 3pm...

Still ZERO seats sold as of 7:30am Tuesday...

You'd think if you were limited in where you could see it and you wanted to see it, you'd dive in on these AMC presales...

If I'm not AMC (but I booked this movie for the weekend), I don't presell this movie Thursday b/c I have so many holdovers who will at least fill a few seats in my theater screens...

Very true. I just glanced and didn't see a single taken seat at any local AMC

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 8:09 PM, TwoMisfits said:

1st local is up...BD and WW finally lose...Baby Driver is completely gone and WW is dropped to 1/2 screen...It is adding Detroit and Dark Tower, each on a single screen...

1st local is again 1st up for setting screens/showings...they DO have Nut Job Never Again and ARE selling Thursday...funny enough though, it gets stuck with the smallest theater size (60 seats) all weekend (and only 1 3d showing/day and 5 total showings, even though 7 per day would fit - they are giving the extra showings elsewhere)...1st animated in a while with that treatment.  The local is also getting Annabelle and The Glass Castle on 1 screen - Annabelle on largest and The Glass Castle on another 60 seater...

Films losing this week to make room for the 3 screens - WW is FINALLY gone, EMOJI, DM3, and Valerian are also gone, Detroit is down to TWO showings/day, 2 indies are now sharing a screen, and Spidey lost his 10am showing and has dropped from 5 to 4 showings/day...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Hitman's Bodyguard is really really doing shit in presales (I know we were already told this lol) They're already offering a $4 ticket from Atom tickets and T-mobile Tuesdays for next Tuesday (the 15th) 

Lionsgate is probably like FUCK THIS SHIT!!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hitman's Bodyguard is really really doing shit in presales (I know we were already told this lol) They're already offering a $4 ticket from Atom tickets and T-mobile Tuesdays for next Tuesday (the 15th) 

Lionsgate is probably like FUCK THIS SHIT!!! 

If that :

4.5 million youtube views number is accurate, it does not sound really impressive for a comedy with an August 18 release and that target audience

Logan Lucky is at 6.9 million views and for the current weeks it is 538k vs 118k in favor of Logan Lucky.

Facebook like metric is also a bit lower than LL today, for a movie starring Jackson/Reynold and an high concept it should be winning this but LL reviews came out and not Hitman when it will that will give it some attention :

http://pro.boxoffice.com/facebook/today/

• Like 2