grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

This is absolutely freaking amazing. Looks

like the only thing that could stop Endgame from making 300+ million OW may be its run time. But may I ask why people rush to buy tickets on the first day? I like seeing movies the first weekend too. But surely, there will be tickets available tomorrow. Why go through the headache of crashing sites and long lines (online)? It’s the same reason that I never understood why people will camp outside of an Apple Store for the latest product. The iPhone or whatever will be there the following day. 

You should know 2 things about my country: no one ever thinks of booking their tickets like even a week in advance and those who can probably fill a showing (almost).

Today (21 days in advance) the Avengers Endgame tickets went on sale (and usually the theaters open the presales closer to release) and a few hour laters it has 3 sold out showing and 8 near sold out showing and some of them are fucking huge auditoriums .I have tracked some other event films like TLJ But...nothing comes close.Not even after presales we’re on for a few days.I have never seen this before.Holy Shit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

7 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

like the only thing that could stop Endgame from making 300+ million OW may be its run time. But may I ask why people rush to buy tickets on the first day? I like seeing movies the first weekend too. But surely, there will be tickets available tomorrow. Why go through the headache of crashing sites and long lines (online)? It’s the same reason that I never understood why people will camp outside of an Apple Store for the latest product. The iPhone or whatever will be there the following day. 

I think its people that mainly want to see it in premium formats. If you don't get tickets early for Dolby, Imax, or 4dx, et al. you are shit out of luck for the opening weekend. Near me I checked 3 theaters and all of the showtimes barely have any seats left for premium showings. So, in essence its different from waiting for the iPhone since you know there will be more supply or you can just order it to be shipped to you. The seats/showtimes for movies like this on opening weekend in premium formats have a finite number and people are often picky about what seats they are going to be in when shelling out $25+ dollars for a seat in a premium format.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Spoilers ofc and bragging rights FOMO 

• Haha 1

THEY

KEPT

ADDING

SHOWS!!!

:circles: :circles: :circles: :circles: :circles: 

I COULDN'T KEEP UP!!!

to be fair, I had to leave for an hour on business

====

This is NOWHERE NEAR an accurate count for right now, as seats are flying everywhere.  But I think the madness has cooled just enough to take a breather.

IW Day One Total: 4,662 tickets sold.

EG Day One SO FAR:  12,261 tickets sold :circles::circles::circles::circles::circles::circles::circles:

EG Day One Adjusted for New Sources of Tracking Info:  10,954 tickets sold

The Greater Sacramento area has something like 174 showings and counting and it's STILL at around 64% capacity!!! :circles::circles:

Edited by Porthos
Like an idiot I plain forgot that I have more reserved seating info. The "adjusted" comp has been added to this post
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 12

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

THEY

KEPT

ADDING

SHOWS!!!

I COULDN'T KEEP UP!!!

====

This is NOWHERE NEAR an accurate count for right now, as seats are flying everywhere.  But I think the madness has cooled just enough to take a breather.

EG Day One SO FAR:  12,261 tickets sold :circles::circles::circles::circles::circles::circles::circles:

The Greater Sacramento area has something like 174 showings and counting and it's STILL at around 64% capacity!!! :circles::circles:

Any comps to TFA and TLJ?

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

THEY

KEPT

ADDING

SHOWS!!!

I COULDN'T KEEP UP!!!

====

Now there might be some errors in there because. frankly, I just haven't had the fucking time to error check it.  But I did a super quick scan and I didn't see anything that was obviously wrong.

Might be things wrong on the theater end though (already happened a few times today)

And, frankly, I haven't read a single post on this board since I crashed last night.  I just haven't had the fucking time. :lol:

I'm going to cool down a bit now, finally have something to eat, and then do a cross check of all 174 showings (while looking for new shows) before girding up for the real report tonight.

MADNESS??? THIS IS ENDGAME!!!!

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rishijoesanu said:

Never did seat counts for those, and whatever sellout data I have is long gone due to computer crashes.

And, frankly, I really really want to chill for a few minutes. Can't imagine why. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

There should be day 1 sellout data from Porthos’s earlier in this thread for TFA and TLJ, if you want to go digging.

11 minutes ago, rishijoesanu said:

Edit: I spread falsehoods.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Never did seat counts for those, and whatever sellout data I have is long gone due to computer crashes.

And, frankly, I really really want to chill for a few minutes. Can't imagine why. :lol:

You’ve done well, dear Porthos.

You have 23 days of work ahead, so rest for now 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Da fuq 

It's possible that I had some transcription errors there.  But the sheer number of showings at two rows or less (at least 43 showings out of 174) makes me think if I did fuck up somewhere, it isn't major.

Also, so raw stats:

Percentage of seats sold:

100%	5
90%-99%	15
80%-89%	27
70%-79%	29
60%-69%	19
50%-59%	15
40%-49%	7
30%-39%	9
20%-29%	6
10%-19%	8
0%-9%	11

So at least five sellouts NOT INCLUDING THOSE TWO MYSTERY SELLOUTS and nearly 40 showings at 80% or above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There should be day 1 sellout data from Porthos’s earlier in this thread for TFA and TLJ, if you want to go digging.

Wasn't on the board yet for TFA's run and wasn't posting during TLJ's run until about a week before release or so. :)

• Like 2