grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The first new opener finally makes an appearance on MT :ohmygod:   

... and it’s After, with 4.9% to AEG’s 40.5. Still no sign of Hellboy :ph34r:

After is honestly looking to do much stronger then expected. I could see it approach 10M OW.

Edited by dakus

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

MISSING LINK is doing absolutely dire pre-sales. May not even do double digits this weekend. :(

Not gonna lie I haven't seen a single ad for it. Not sure why it's opening in 3,500+ theaters this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

MISSING LINK is doing absolutely dire pre-sales. May not even do double digits this weekend. :(

No deals, so no audience movement...my spouse had decided he'd only see it for the Wonder Park price (so $5 all in)...so, we're passing for now, but if the movie offered me low enough tickets, we'd be in...I said a few weeks ago that price would be a driver for audience on this one...

I suspect this might again be a case of "too much money for too little return" for families...with all the promotions for family friendly movies recently (Wonder Park $5, Shazam 3 for $20 and 4 for $30, etc), a meal at CPK after you spend $15 more is just not moving the needle for Missing Link...at all.  And it doesn't help that all those other movies brought the families in...and families don't need to be at the movie theater every weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, rerga said:

Even though it's not Tuesday before release, my theater has added more showtimes for Friday. That's why I wouldn't worry about the runtime because of the crap ton of extra showing added. 

Just now, rerga said:

Most showings near me have 15 or so showings for that day and most are sold out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they added even more before release.

They will definitely add more if they see demand is there. It's relative to size of the theater though. At any rate, I expect true Friday to have a massive overflow and absolutely demolish the record (like how IW Saturday did last year). It'll probably do $75m plus. 

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

They will definitely add more if they see demand is there. It's relative to size of the theater though. At any rate, I expect true Friday to have a massive overflow and absolutely demolish the record (like how IW Saturday did last year). It'll probably do $75m plus. 

I honestly think so too. 

I think Thursday's crown should also be taken as well tbh, the runtime won't affect that and presales are outpacing TFA. I think that will be reflected in the preview numbers...

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17:00 Pacific, 4/10/2019 (Wed)

1	34.4%	Avengers: Endgame
2	15.6%	Shazam!
3	8.2%	Pet Sematary
4	6.6%	Dumbo
5	5.9%	Us

More than double Shazam at end of today, vs not even 150% on Monday. Just holding massively for a movie still more than 2 weeks away from previews. I think we will soon be finishing the ramp down and beginning the ramp up, without ever having that low sale middle portion.

17:00 Pacific, 4/11/2019 (Thurs)  

1	35.4%	Avengers: Endgame
2	12.9%	Shazam!
3	6.2%	Little
4	6.1%	Pet Sematary
5	6%	Dumbo

Still only one opener present, now Little at 3rd place. At about 2.5x Shazam I think AEG will hold a narrow lead Friday but fall fairly early into Saturday.   

• Like 1

Avengers: Endgame

Thursday, April 25th 2019 (2 weeks from release)

North Shore Cinema

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 292/301 - UltraScreen 

10:00 - 268/301 - UltraScreen 

7:00 - 135/145

7:30 - 132/138

8:00 - 94/117 - 3D 

11:00 - 99/146 

11:30 - 95/138 

12:00 - 70/117

12:15 - 6/67

I have comps but I am too lazy to find and all of them pale to how big this is (didn’t do TFA or Infinity War for that matter). As for OW, I can’t see lower than $250M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think spillover will be huge. They can always add more screens during the OW but they can't add more premium screens (given that all of them were already booked and are mostly sold out)

The IMAX screen near me is sold out for Wednesday midnight, 95% for Thursday, 85% for Friday through Sunday (only 2 front rows available) but it's also 80% for Discount Tuesday.  

Some (probably quite a lot) fans might have missed good seats on OD and already bought tickets for a second show with better seats (like me) or some might have missed them entirely and bought seats for a standard 2D show on OD and IMAX tickets for some other day. I don't know if it's just my city but the most expensive tickets in every theater are gone (IMAX, 4DX, Platinum, 3D) with only the 2D shows being half-full.

Btw, in comparison, I bought IW tickets 2 days before opening and they were nice seats but it still sold out at the end (midnight show so most likely fans). Perhaps a lot of people that aren't used buy them so early will spread out through weekdays and 2nd weekend. 

Edited by expensiveho

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Not gonna lie I haven't seen a single ad for it. Not sure why it's opening in 3,500+ theaters this weekend.

Been quite a few ads on the sports stations I watch (MLBN and the local sports net NBC Sports Bay Area), for what it's worth.