grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

what is MTC ? a little explanation to the new guy here plz :(

MTC stands for Major Theater Chain. Deep Wang used to work at one of the main theater chains in the US and still has contacts there. 29.4M is the amount of sales for Avenger Endgame at the moment, at that chain.   

It’s.... big.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

MTC stands for Major Theater Chain. Deep Want used to work at one of the main theater chains in the US and still has contacts there. 29.4M is the amount of sales for Avenger Endgame at the moment, at that chain.   

It’s.... big.

oh i see its this good then ? better than force awakens and iw ? hope you wont laugh with my stupid questions

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

oh i see its this good then ? better than force awakens and iw ? hope you wont laugh with my stupid questions

None of your questions are stupid. If you're new here or don't pay attention to the tracking thread, the numbers can be out of no where. TLJ final numbers were 32M and TFA was at 36M. Notice I said final numbers. Puts End Game's number into perspective. 

Essentially one of our members used to work at a major theater chain and provides us with pre-sale numbers for certain movies (depending on how big they are) when they get the chance. We dont always get numbers but when we do, it gives us a real idea of how a movie is doing. Especially when compared to other movies like it. Of course things have to be taken into consideration depending on the movie and also factor in just how big presales are getting. But @Deep Wang giving us numbers really pinpoints to whether a movie is looking to flop or be a massive event film. I'll let you take a guess at where End Game is headed ;) 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

None of your questions are stupid. If you're new here or don't pay attention to the tracking thread, the numbers can be out of no where. 

Essentially one of our members used to work at a major theater chain and provides us with pre-sale numbers for certain movies (depending on how big they are) when they get the chance. We dont always get numbers but when we do, it gives us a real idea of how a movie is doing. Especially when compared to other movies like it. Of course things have to be taken into consideration depending on the movie and also factor in just how big presales are getting. But @Deep Wang giving us numbers really pinpoints to whether a movie is looking to flop or be a massive event film. I'll let you take a guess at where End Game is headed ;) 

thank you to be honest with you i started to comment and pay attention in this thread starting with captain marvel (it was my first blockbuster to have the chance to somewhat start making guesses and understand how BO works etc ) i still have to learn many thing though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

TLJ's final pre-sales were 32M at MTC and TFA was around 36M iirc?

Well, not quite.  The final number I had was 32m for TLJ, but at some point after, they sent out some extra stats for comparison.  

TLJ and TFA were actually virtually neck and neck at $36m.  I just found the screenshot I had on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, Lordmandeep said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/avengers-infinity-war-on-track-for-heroic-opening-1524130321?mod=e2tw

The third “Avengers” movie has already sold more than $50 million worth of advance tickets, behind only “The Force Awakens” and December’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” in all-time presales, said people familiar with the matter

Considering that all of the presales are for 1st weekend lol. 

On 4/21/2018 at 12:30 AM, Durden said:

Final update for IW

On 4/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, Deep Wang said:

17.4m

DP - almost 1m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, not quite.  The final number I had was 32m for TLJ, but at some point after, they sent out some extra stats for comparison.  

TLJ and TFA were actually virtually neck and neck at $36m.  I just found the screenshot I had on.

Considering the 12m difference between TFA (57) and TLJ (45) for opening night and the insane post-OW pre-sales TFA had that does show just how much of an art this still all is.

Kinda surprised that TFA and TLJ were neck and neck at that MTC, tbh. Interesting to know. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Spoiler

fVSVSlP.png?1

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Hide contents

Is it intended that the blacked out portions can be fully deduced by subtracting the other 4 rows from the total and/or multiplying the % by the total?

Edited by Thanos Legion

So on 4/23 (3 days before previews), IW was at 17.4m

Now we have EG at 29.4m with 10 days to go before we hit the equivalent date for IW. 

$50m for previews is locked. The question is does it catch TFA and can it go over $60m? For what it's worth, I say yes.