grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-87, 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-84 (+3), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

John Wick-139 (+3), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular) Final Week

Dark Phoenix-9 (+9), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Dark Phoenix seems pretty muted so far at my theater as I expected. We'll see if it picks up later. Aladdin got a bit of a boost and John Wick's proceeding nicely if a bit slower then I'd expect from the final Monday, but I'll say more once I see how it ends today.

Midday count of today (Just for Dark Phoenix), only Thursdays-

Dark Phoenix-31 (+22), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

In comparison to KoTM and Aladdin's first days-

Godzilla: KoTM-56

Dark Phoenix-31 (Midday)

Aladdin-26

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Since there's now a lot of discussion about how Dark Phoenix's first day of presales is going, I want to say (and this applies to other films like Godzilla too) that, while it's great were able to see real-time data like this now, we have to keep in mind we don't really have a frame of reference. We don't know how Apocalypse's presales were like on the first day, so we don't know how hardcore the X-men fanbase is about buying tickets ASAP. Over the next couple weeks we'll have a good sense of the way it's going, I think, but drawing conclusions after just one day isn't wise unless it's an earth shattering performance like Endgame.

• Like 7

Just now, Mulder said:

Midday count of today (Just for Dark Phoenix), only Thursdays-

Dark Phoenix-31 (+22), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

In comparison to KoTM and Aladdin's first days-

Godzilla: KoTM-56

Dark Phoenix-31 (Midday)

Aladdin-26

I will say though interestingly enough most of these Dark Phoenix tickets (21 aka 67%, more then half) are from the fan screening.

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I will say though interestingly enough most of these Dark Phoenix tickets (21 aka 67%, more then half) are from the fan screening.

Fits what I can see on the Pulse tracker, the fan event seems to be selling very well (over 10%) of the "normal" tickets

13 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Since there's now a lot of discussion about how Dark Phoenix's first day of presales is going, I want to say (and this applies to other films like Godzilla too) that, while it's great were able to see real-time data like this now, we have to keep in mind we don't really have a frame of reference. We don't know how Apocalypse's presales were like on the first day, so we don't know how hardcore the X-men fanbase is about buying tickets ASAP. Over the next couple weeks we'll have a good sense of the way it's going, I think, but drawing conclusions after just one day isn't wise unless it's an earth shattering performance like Endgame.

I see your point but at the same time I feel like CBMs generally have somewhat similar behavior when it comes to presalesm, except outlier cases like Endgame or even IW

12 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I agree. This means nothing. Real thing starts tomorrow. Even the new Spidey flick started off like a rocket. Since then it has slowed down significantly.

16 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I would say though, KoTM having a strong first day of presales is still impressive considering it's genre has been demonstrably walk-up heavy (Kong: Skull Island and JW:FK both had weak presales). 

I know that Fandango isn't everything, but it does look like Dark Phoenix is kinda already losing steam:

(last partial hour)

Updated by @akvalley: 2019-05-13 16:56:05 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME    TICKETS    MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2019-05-13 16:00:00    1190    Avengers Endgame (2019) [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    880    Pokémon Detective Pikachu [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    305    John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    159    The Hustle (2019)
2019-05-13 16:00:00    139    Long Shot
2019-05-13 16:00:00    107    The Intruder (2019)
2019-05-13 16:00:00    96    Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    65    Dark Phoenix [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    63    Poms
2019-05-13 16:00:00    59    Aladdin (2019) [combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    58    What We Left Behind Looking Back at Star Trek DS9
2019-05-13 16:00:00    37    Captain Marvel (2019)
2019-05-13 16:00:00    36    Fandango Early Access Rocketman [NOT combined]
2019-05-13 16:00:00    35    Tolkien
2019-05-13 16:00:00    34    UglyDolls
2019-05-13 16:00:00    31    Breakthrough (2019)
2019-05-13 16:00:00    26    Spider-Man Far From Home (2019) [combined]

(all sources for movies EXCEPT for Early Access, were combined)

Barely ahead of Poms for that partial hour and around the area of Aladdin day-of tickets.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

In the original movie it was just the mouse and the crows and the crows are cut for uuuuh obvious reasons.

Fair point but Dumbo is still one of the more radically different remakes compared to something like Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book or the upcoming Aladdin and Lion King. 

21 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/12/19 (End of Sun)

1	40.5%	Avengers: Endgame
2	24.5%	Detective Pikachu
3	9.2%	The Hustle
4	4.4%	Poms
5	4.1%	Long Shot  

In a shocking twist, movies that you might be more likely to see with a mother seem to have relatively increased today :thinking:

17 PT 5/13/19 (End of Mon)

1	37.6%	Avengers: Endgame
2	27.2%	Detective Pikachu
3	5.8%	The Hustle
4	5%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
5	3.6%	Poms

Baba Yaga is coming.    

Pika oddly dropping better than Endgame on MT this Monday, if that translates to actuals I think it at least points in the direction of Pika appealing more to nostalgic 20 and 30 yo than actual present day kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

John Wick 3 makes its debut on MT

AMVXZYy.png

Comparison:

Finally!

50 Shades - 28%

Lego Batman - 10%

Newsies - 6%

Split - 6%

John Wick - 5%

Wick 2 entered the MT Top Five on Wed of release week, posted at 2:37PM PDT.

=====

Further comparison:

(later same day)

50SD - 2m

LB - 550k

JW2 - 150k

Deep Wang had Wick 3 at 1.2m last week for that MTC:ph34r:

PS:  Thank the Gods Mods for bringing back the old Tracking thread. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Comparison:

Wick 2 entered the MT Top Five on Wed of release week, posted at 2:37PM PDT.

=====

Further comparison:

(later same day)

Deep Wang had Wick 3 at 1.2m last week for that MTC:ph34r:

PS:  Thank the Gods Mods for bringing back the old Tracking thread. 👍

Thanks for going and collecting all my old data and putting it in a spreadsheet for me!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Thanks for going and collecting all my old data and putting it in a spreadsheet for me!

A wretchedly formatted copy-n-paste is all you're getting out me, Deep Wang. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

WICK 3 IS STARTING TO APPEAR ON THE XD SCREENS FOR PREVIEW NIGHT!!!!! 

===

Those sweet sweet PLF dollars might be coming in after all!

Your excitement over box office is so pure and good I love it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Your excitement over box office is so pure and good I love it.

Outside of the TrueIMAX theater which I'm sure can't get it, there's only one IMAX screen currently booked in the entire Great Sacramento region 7pm or later this Thursday.

A 7pm Endgame screening at one of the Regal theaters.

It hasn't sold a single ticket yet. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Outside of the TrueIMAX theater which I'm sure can't get it, there's only one IMAX screen currently booked in the entire Great Sacramento region 7pm or later this Thursday.

A 7pm Endgame screening at one of the Regal theaters.

It hasn't sold a single ticket yet. :ph34r:

Much more seriously, I am sure the local theaters were/are waiting on the latest week of Endgame sales as well as looking at Wick 3's pre-sales/tracking before deciding whether or not to pop the PLF friendly version of Wick 3 on their PLFs for Thursday night. 

That both Century Arden and Century Blue Oaks just took the plunge on Wick 3 for Thr night is a pretty good tell in my book.

I am legit curious to see if the other theaters in town follow suit or not (if they can).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

So just catching up to weekend numbers. Pika at 54 million and i massively over predicted it-yay me!- what an odd ride that was. So now we how pika legs go

John wick- should be interesting. An anticipated R movie that will be an interesting R interjection weekend wise sandwiched on both sides with pg and pg 13 movies ( well rocketman also at end pf month)Seems to be some enthusiasm for mr wick. I see tracking of 50 mil....could it hit 60 i wonder.

• Like 1