grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Peek ahead to friday

Silvercity london june 7 friday

Dark Phoenix 

8 showings 4IMAX (1 screen) 3 recliner 3d, 1 recliner none (1 screen)

IMAX 
200 2/321
450 8/321
710 34/321
1030 0/321

Recliner
125 3d 3/131
420 9/131
710 3d 9/131
1000 7/131

Westmount 

7 shows 3 VIP (1 screen) 3 recliner 3d 1 recliner non 3d (1 screen)

VIP 
400 7/58
730 30/58
1100 2/58

Recliner
110 3d 0/101
400 2/101
730 3d 21/101
1020 3d 2/101

Secret life of pets 2 silvercity london

10 showings 3 AVX, 2 recliner 3d, 5 recliner non 3d
AVX
1210 33/135
230 33/145
450 6/135

Recliner
1240 102/111
320 88/111
520 65/111
715 0/0
740 3d 9/111
930 0/0
1000 3d 0/111

Westmount

5 recliner 3 non 3d 2 3d ( 1 screen)
1200 75/146
230 26/146
450 2/146
710 3d 30/146
930 3d 2/146

Pets has bigger gain compared to phoenix on friday here so far. Interesting most sales are non fancy simple recliner ( ie cheaper) seats as families trying to save money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 6/5/19 (End of Wed)  

1	27.3%	Aladdin
2	12.2%	Godzilla: King of the Monsters
3	11%	Rocketman
4	8%	Ma
5	7.7%    The Secret Life of Pets 2  

New 5th in the last update of the day.  

I think I’m going to start appending daily Fandango data in a spoiler box, just so they’re around to compare future movies with. New openers that are big enough+occasionally huge 2nd or 3rd weekends.  

Reveal hidden contents

17 PT 6/6/19 (End of Thurs)  

1	20.6%	Aladdin
2	20.5%	The Secret Life of Pets 2
3	13.9%	Dark Phoenix
4	10.9%	Rocketman
5	9.1%    Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Slop2 missing by .1% I won’t bother with the usual “new #1” post, it will be a firm #1 in the first update tomorrow. Godzilla hanging on in 5th after Rocketman holds stunningly well today on MT.

Spoiler

17 PT

SLOP2

T 6079

F 10207

S  6040

S 2925

XDP

T 17483

F 11000

S 8112

S 3502

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Have to go to work before final #s are in but 30 minutes out Dark Phoenix is only 60% of Godzilla and 50% of Aladdin (give or take). Pets is about 75% of Grinch with 45 minutes to go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2019 at 11:35 PM, Porthos said:
Spoiler

At T-2, Dark Phoenix... has recovered slightly.  And I do mean slightly.

Now sits at 1167 tickets sold locally, up from 768 tickets sold on Sun Night.  That's 200 tickets on Monday and Tuesday on average.  That's not that great.  But it isn't terrible like it was pacing. 

As I said on Sunday, it'd be pretty hard for it not to raise in comps and raise it did:

At T-2:

May Movies:

Pika Pika had   1,785 seats sold (3.73m - matinees, few PLFs) (up from 3.44m)

Aladdin had     1,926 seats sold (4.24m)                                 (up from 3.43m)

KotM had         1,637 seats sold (4.49m - matinees)               (up from 3.59m)

Other Comps:

FB2 had           3,285 seats sold (3.18m) (up from 2.21m)  [DP adj: 1,147 seats sold]

JW:FK had        3,424 seats sold (4.88m) (up from 4.25m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

Solo had          4,501 seats sold (3.42m) (up from 2.14m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

Recent CBMs (never checked Aquaman) :

EG at              22,204 seats sold (3.15m) (up from 1.88m)

CM at               6,917 seats sold (3.49m) (up from 2.60m)

Venom at         2,258 seats sold (5.08m) (n/a) [DP adj: 1,147 seats sold]

AM&tW at         2,291 seats sold (5.49m) (n/a) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

DP2 at              3,564 seats sold (3.99m) (up from 3.03m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

IW at              10,796 seats sold (3.94m) (up from 2.51m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

Just a flat flat day of sales with 601 tickets sold since last night (I did a check but didn't post anything) for a total of 2053 tickets sold at stop of tracking.

I didn't do a separate comp at 4pm for Pika Pika or KotM, so take that into account for the following:

At Stop of Tracking:

May Movies:

Pika Pika had      3,096 seats sold (3.77m - matinees, few PLFs) (up from 3.73m)

John Wick 3 had  3,223 seats sold (3.76m) (not checked)

Aladdin had        3,900 seats sold (3.68m)                                 (down from 4.24m)

KotM had            2,878 seats sold (4.49m - matinees)               (no change)

Other Comps:

FB2 had           5,103 seats sold (3.45m) (up from 3.18m)  [DP adj: 1,147 seats sold]

JW:FK had        6,228 seats sold (4.65m) (down from 4.88m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

Solo had          5,789 seats sold (4.61m) (up from 3.42m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

Recent CBMs (never checked Aquaman) :

EG at              26,655 seats sold (4.62m) (up from 3.15m)

CM at             10,553 seats sold (4.03m) (up from 3.49m)

Venom at         4,493 seats sold (4.31m) (down from 5.08m) [DP adj: 1,147 seats sold]

AM&tW at         4,605 seats sold (4.11m) (down from 5.49m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

DP2 at              8,133 seats sold (4.32m) (up from 3.99m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

IW at              13,164 seats sold (5.60m) (up from 3.94m) [DP adj: 1,093 seats sold]

====

Probably looking at 4.4m +/- .3m in previews for Dark Phoenix if Sacramento is any indication.  FB2 and Aladdin over-performed in Sacto, so throw those out.  No idea what's going on with that IW comp, but it's a clear outlier. The Wick 3 comp is a little worrisome, but probably pretty hard to compare the two.

Most of the comps are pointing to 4.3m to 4.6m.  Might just hit exactly at 4.5m the way it's going, but there might be room for upside.

Be pretty surprised if it hit 5m, is more or less what I am saying.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

At the theaters with Atom Ticketing, only Studio Movie Grill Rocklin showed any real strength, and since that's an A-tier theater, it's kinda hard to judge. It was also only one showing that was really doing over and beyond, so even there it's not all that big of a deal.

One of the Regals in town showed a bit of a bump at one of its showings as well, but that was really about it.

If there was an Atom effect locally, it was around the edges. 

(@TalismanRing)

===

I am a little worried abut the May movies pointing to a sub-4m comp.  Only reason I didn't call for 4m in previews, really, was all of the CBM comps pointing against it.   But those May comps sure don't look great for Dark Phoenix, I'll put it that way.

Edited by Porthos
Refined my point a little
  • Like 1

I won't have the full chart up for another hour or so, but Spoiler Alert:

Aladdin sold more tickets for the 9:40PM showing at the SMCM IMAX Theater than Pets' and Phoenix's 9PMs showings combined.

ETA:

( @TalismanRing @TwoMisfits )

Do we know when the T-Mobile Atom $4 tickets sale went into effect?  Have they been doing that all along, or did it start like yesterday?

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Do we know when the T-Mobile Atom $4 tickets sale went into effect?  Have they been doing that all along, or did it start like yesterday?

I have T-Mobile so I get those tickets. It’s valid for use between 6/4 and 6/9. Sometimes they can still be used on the Monday after OW, depending on the movie or if it’s not for a specific movie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I won't have the full chart up for another hour or so, but Spoiler Alert:

Aladdin sold more tickets for the 9:40PM showing at the SMCM IMAX Theater than Pets' and Phoenix's 9PMs showings combined.

ETA:

( @TalismanRing @TwoMisfits )

@TwoMisfits was the first I recall mentioning them.  Could have been 2 days or two weeks ago - time both crawls and flies. <_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Deja23 said:

I have T-Mobile so I get those tickets. It’s valid for use between 6/4 and 6/9. Sometimes they can still be used on the Monday after OW, depending on the movie or if it’s not for a specific movie. 

Cool! Sorry -- I meant, when did the Sale begin.  Cause a lot of the Dark Phoenix tickets have already been purchased at Lincoln Square.  So I was wondering when the $25 tickets could possibly turn into the $4 tickets.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Cool! Sorry -- I meant, when did the Sale begin.  Cause a lot of the Dark Phoenix tickets have already been purchased at Lincoln Square.  So I was wondering when the $25 tickets could possibly turn into the $4 tickets.

I don't think IMAX tickets are available for $4.  Doesn't that usually apply to 2D tickets?

Lincoln Center always does well with CBM, big VFX movies and "Event" films since they're the only true IMAX in town

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't think IMAX tickets are available for $4.  Doesn't that usually apply to 2D tickets?

Lincoln Center always does well with CBM, big VFX movies and "Event" films since they're the only true IMAX in town

It can be used on IMAX tickets as far as I know. At least it’s worked when I used it in the past. You can start buying tickets using the code starting on Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

WEEKLY UPDATE - Cineplex Scotiabank Montreal

DARK PHOENIX - THURSDAY JUNE 6 

IMAX -FAN EVENT

6:00pm - 142/343

IMAX

9:00pm - 119/343

REGULAR 3D

7:00pm - 69/390

10:00pm - 7/390

FINAL UPDATE FOR X-MEN

DARK PHOENIX - THURSDAY JUNE 6 

IMAX -FAN EVENT

6:00pm - 191/343

IMAX

9:00pm - 177/343

REGULAR 3D

7:00pm - 141/390

10:00pm - 66/390

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Forgive me, as I'm from Canada and don't think the T-mobile deal applies here, but when you say valid for use starting 6/4, that is just the date you could start buying them using the code for advance dates, right? Because there wouldn't have been showings that date. 

Also, can someone confirm;
The ticket is sold for $4, but the studio "collects" the full price of admission for the ticket, right?
So those IMAX showings that are being sold for $4 will count $12+ per ticket in terms of box office?
That should give it a nice, sustained boost over the weekend.... I mean, if you are bored on Saturday or Sunday, why wouldn't you spend $4 and go see an IMAX showing of DP. Even if it ends up sucking, who cares!

Also, according to Google T-mobile had approx 81 million US customers at the beginning of 2019.
That's a whole lot of potential patrons for this weekend!

EDIT : According to this article published today, next Tuesday will have a repeat of the DP $4 movie ticket deal, so we might be looking at some decent weekdays next week....

https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mobile-tuesdays-offers-free-phone-wallet-discounted-movie-ticket-more_id116602

Naturally, that's just a small piece of next week's T-Mobile "thankings" puzzle, which is also set to include a free digital Slow Cooker Sunday cookbook written by none other than CEO John Legere, a $4 movie ticket to Dark Phoenix (for those who may have missed this week's identical offer), $25 Live Nation tickets, a free medium latte from Dunkin', $10 Vistaprint credit, $0.10 off per gallon of Shell gas, and a chance to win $1,000 in movie tix from Atom.

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Forgive me, as I'm from Canada and don't think the T-mobile deal applies here, but when you say valid for use starting 6/4, that is just the date you could start buying them using the code for advance dates, right? Because there wouldn't have been showings that date. 

Also, can someone confirm;
The ticket is sold for $4, but the studio "collects" the full price of admission for the ticket, right?
So those IMAX showings that are being sold for $4 will count $12+ per ticket in terms of box office?
That should give it a nice, sustained boost over the weekend.... I mean, if you are bored on Saturday or Sunday, why wouldn't you spend $4 and go see an IMAX showing of DP. Even if it ends up sucking, who cares!

Also, according to Google T-mobile had approx 81 million US customers at the beginning of 2019.
That's a whole lot of potential patrons for this weekend!

Yes. It’s basically a coupon code you can start using on Atom for any dates available for that specific movie or for any movie if it’s not specified. So I have to use to code to purchase a ticket between 6/4 and 6/9, but I can use it to watch the movie up till 6/12, which is the furthest date my theater currently has Dark Phoenix showings. And it reduces the cost of the ticket to $4 no matter what the starting cost is. So if it’s $9, you get $5 off. If it’s $16, you get $12 off. Also, no convenience fee. Basically, you pay only $4 for the ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Yes. It’s basically a coupon code you can start using on Atom for any dates available for that specific movie or for any movie if it’s not specified. So I have to use to code to purchase a ticket between 6/4 and 6/9, but I can use it to watch the movie up till 6/12, which is the furthest date my theater currently has Dark Phoenix showings. And it reduces the cost of the ticket to $4 no matter what the starting cost is. So if it’s $9, you get $5 off. If it’s $16, you get $12 off. Also, no convenience fee. Basically, you pay only $4 for the ticket.

That's pretty amazing. 

I've been Googling this whole T-mobile Tuesday thing, and have some thoughts on it. 

Firstly, it is very possible this deal will apply to other movies throughout the summer, especially if they are indeed doing a second week of it for DP as the article I posted earlier suggests. It also would indicate that the deal was quite popular with their 81 million US users, otherwise why would they bother bringing it back for a second week.

Secondly, I've discovered there are quite a few forums, chats, etc which allow T-mobile members who have codes but don't wish to use them to post the code for others to use. So someone not interested in seeing DP can post their code for someone else to use. I guess once you have your unique Atom code, it can be used by anyone who makes a purchase on Atom (of course it can only be used once though).

Thirdly, getting a $15-20 ticket for $4 basically puts us back to where things were with Moviepass in the sense that deals such as this will bring out the GP who wouldn't otherwise have seen a certain movie at regular price. It's a win-win-win-win situation. T-mobile gains loyalty from it's customer base for offering deals, Atom tickets gains new users who might switch to that app from Fandango in the future, the theatres get extra patrons buying their popcorn and soda, and the studios get to report full grosses on discounted tickets (unlike discount Tuesdays, where only the discounted price is counted as T-mobile/Atom is paying the difference in this case). 

VERY interested to watch DP's performance over the next week now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

That's pretty amazing. 

I've been Googling this whole T-mobile Tuesday thing, and have some thoughts on it. 

Firstly, it is very possible this deal will apply to other movies throughout the summer, especially if they are indeed doing a second week of it for DP as the article I posted earlier suggests. It also would indicate that the deal was quite popular with their 81 million US users, otherwise why would they bother bringing it back for a second week.

Secondly, I've discovered there are quite a few forums, chats, etc which allow T-mobile members who have codes but don't wish to use them to post the code for others to use. So someone not interested in seeing DP can post their code for someone else to use. I guess once you have your unique Atom code, it can be used by anyone who makes a purchase on Atom (of course it can only be used once though).

Thirdly, getting a $15-20 ticket for $4 basically puts us back to where things were with Moviepass in the sense that deals such as this will bring out the GP who wouldn't otherwise have seen a certain movie at regular price. It's a win-win-win-win situation. T-mobile gains loyalty from it's customer base for offering deals, Atom tickets gains new users who might switch to that app from Fandango in the future, the theatres get extra patrons buying their popcorn and soda, and the studios get to report full grosses on discounted tickets (unlike discount Tuesdays, where only the discounted price is counted as T-mobile/Atom is paying the difference in this case). 

That's the effect I've been talking about - these TMobile deals can have a large effect on the weekend BO for a movie when they come around, especially for movies doing poorly in early presales or generally not expected to do much (b/c the ratio of redeemers and "off the couch" not-planning-to-go movie goers doesn't have to be high to kick in a high total)...but the effect itself will tend to be a major metro effect (b/c they have the highest ticket prices to start, so those users think it's the best deal), an Atom-localized effect (if your city doesn't have Atom theaters, well, obviously, you're not effected), and an "all weekend" effect, since for example, I'd never buy for Thursday night when I could go Saturday night...

Now, TMobile has never released the proportion of users who redeem these deals...coupon redemption tends to be a low number across the industries, but then again, it doesn't take much to turn a $30M OW to a $40M OW when you look at the user base (since the users will be redeeming for the most expensive showtimes:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

19 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

That's pretty amazing. 

Yeah it’s pretty nice for T-Mobile users. I tend to favor their Dunkin Donuts and Shell deals, and usually send the movie deals to my friend since tickets where I live aren’t as expensive as in NY. And yeah, it’s how I found out about Atom a couple of years ago. However, I’m not sure how significant it is among T-Mobile customers as I don’t think many even know about T-Mobile Tuesdays. My parents don’t use them, but I ask for their codes sometimes, and none of my other family members use them. I’d say way less than half of that 81 million use it. And of those, it’ll probably matter what the movie is. It was great to use when Wonder Woman or Suicide Squad is the movie being offered, but I’m not sure how much it helps for movies that don’t interest the GA much. I don’t think it really helped Long Shot or Hellboy much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

Yeah it’s pretty nice for T-Mobile users. I tend to favor their Dunkin Donuts and Shell deals, and usually send the movie deals to my friend since tickets where I live aren’t as expensive as in NY. And yeah, it’s how I found out about Atom a couple of years ago. However, I’m not sure how significant it is among T-Mobile customers as I don’t think many even know about T-Mobile Tuesdays. My parents don’t use them, but I ask for their codes sometimes, and none of my other family members use them. I’d say way less than half of that 81 million use it. And of those, it’ll probably matter what the movie is. It was great to use when Wonder Woman or Suicide Squad is the movie being offered, but I’m not sure how much it helps for movies that don’t interest the GA much. I don’t think it really helped Long Shot or Hellboy much

Some movies are just beyond helping:).  My spouse said someone would have to pay him $4 to go see Hellboy - free was still gonna be too much:).