grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

8 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It’s actually not that mysterious at this point. We’ve seen the same story play out in several countries now. 

I'm talking about the movie industry. I really doubt the entire United States is going to go on full lockdown

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I'm talking about the movie industry. I really doubt the entire United States is going to go on full lockdown

There’s no way for the movie industry to escape what is, at this point, obviously coming. Several-hour-long, open-to-the-public, have-to-stay-the-whole-time-to-be-worth-it social gatherings of purely recreational value aren’t exactly the sort of things that will be resilient to public panic.

• Like 1

Was going to see Bloodshot, but with the lack of promotion, I'm sending Sony wants to bury this and that it might be really, really baaddddd.

As for the Corona causing some movies to be delayed and closing theaters down, I can't really say much. But I will say that the media, news and politicians have been so all over the place about it all over the globe, that I don't think anyone really honestly has an idea of just how bad this virus can potentially be or get.  We probably never will get a good idea.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Paramount and Disney need to get smart like, right the fuck now. Pull the plug and delay A Quiet Place 2 and Mulan. Don't be SILLY.

Problem is they have major legal problems if they pull the films this late.

Paramount and Disney have already signed the contracts with the theaters for thosew films at least in the US.. Disney and Paramount are under  legal obligation to open the films or face some fairly stiff penalaties.

Maybe they could work out a deal with theaters but then the companies  would have to give the theaters something..probably a bigger share of the box office when the films do open.

It's not that easy to pull a film that late. The companies are facing a certain loss if they pull the film in legal penalaties, a possible loss if let it ride. I am sure the numbers are being ran right now as to what course will cost the least money.

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There would be some real constitutional issues involved as to whether the US Government has the power to do that. You are talking denial of basic constituoinal rights on a large scale. 

But it would be easier for the individual states to do so.

But if it reached that point, people would be so scared they would stay away from any crowds they did not abosoutley have to anyway.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

There’s no way for the movie industry to escape what is, at this point, obviously coming. Several-hour-long, open-to-the-public, have-to-stay-the-whole-time-to-be-worth-it social gatherings of purely recreational value aren’t exactly the sort of things that will be resilient to public panic.

Honestly though, I don't think the 'panic' is as big as a lot of people think (at least in North America). Yea there's some people raiding Costco (I'm legit worried cause my roommates and I are running out of toilet paper and Walmart and Costco didn't have any), and the internet is having a field day. But irl when you talk to people, the most I've heard anyone say about it is "oh well may as well wash my hands more often". I'm not saying this isn't something that should be talked about more. But the public 'panic' the internet seems to be talking about really only exists on the internet so far. 

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

There would be some real constitutional issues involved as to whether the US Government has the power to do that. You are talking denial of basic constituoinal rights on a large scale. 

… I'm not though. I'm saying it's NOT going to happen. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

And we just had our first big film industry event cancelled. The American Film Institute award program giving it's lifetime Acheivement Award to Julie Andrews has just been postponed from next month to  an unspecified date in the summer.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly though, I don't think the 'panic' is as big as a lot of people think (at least in North America). Yea there's some people raiding Costco (I'm legit worried cause my roommates and I are running out of toilet paper and Walmart and Costco didn't have any), and the internet is having a field day. But irl when you talk to people, the most I've heard anyone say about it is "oh well may as well wash my hands more often". I'm not saying this isn't something that should be talked about more. But the public 'panic' the internet seems to be talking about really only exists on the internet so far. 

… I'm not though. I'm saying it's NOT going to happen. 

It might happen for specific cities or states however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TLK said:

It may be too late to move AQP2 without taking a big hit. A sequel like this will probably have a $80-100 million global marketing budget and they must have already spend most of it by now.

Not to mention the legal problems with breaking the contracts they signed with the theaters for showing the films. The contracts certainly have built in penalaties if the film is not delivered on the time specified by the contract. Moving a film this late would cause world of legal hurt.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It might happen for specific cities or states however.

Yes but as far as box office goes, a shut-down of a few cities would have the same effect on theatre closures as say a hurricane in Florida, or a winter storm in New England. My point is it's happened before, and unless this becomes a nationwide closure of EVERYTHING, isolated areas being shut down has hurt the box office maybe give or take 10%. 

I would not be surprised if the Studios hold off on signng the contracts for the threatrical release as long as possible to see what the impact of the virus is going to be. That means the presale periods could be much shorter since theaters do not start presales for films until they have the contracts signed...for obviousl reasons.

At worst it'll just be a couple of regions shutting down (overall, not just movie theaters) but we won't be seeing theaters everywhere getting shut down unless all businesses get shut down (and that won't because people have lives to tend to). Only if that were to happen would we be seeing more movies getting pushed back. Studios will just have to hope for the best in terms of revenue the next couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Yes but as far as box office goes, a shut-down of a few cities would have the same effect on theatre closures as say a hurricane in Florida, or a winter storm in New England. My point is it's happened before, and unless this becomes a nationwide closure of EVERYTHING, isolated areas being shut down has hurt the box office maybe give or take 10%. 

I really think if things get bad, then people will just minimize their contact with crowds, and theater attendance will take a massive hit. Studios are in for a rough time no matter what happens, IMHO.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

At worst it'll just be a couple of regions shutting down (overall, not just movie theaters) but we won't be seeing theaters everywhere getting shut down unless all businesses get shut down (and that won't because people have lives to tend to). Only if that were to happen would we be seeing more movies getting pushed back. Studios will just have to hope for the best in terms of revenue the next couple of weeks.

I actually think the Studios are a lot more concerned about theater attednence falling off the cliff because of the fear factor more then actual theater closuer.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

hell, they're still gonna get $12 bucks from me for Onward, Way Back, Quiet Place, Mulan, and maybe The Hunt too :lol: 

If y'all are right and the mass panic is real, I guess that means I'll have a nice empty theatre to watch A Quiet Place in on opening night. Won't have to worry about ANYONE being loud in there. 

• Like 1

Bloodshot has January written all over it.

Having watched it already, I can tell the movie is clearly getting dumped ( for obvious reasons ) like a January movie ( for obvious reasons ) and will flop big time ( for obvious reasons ). 

Previews are obviously gonna be low. Not many people are interested or excited to see this. Even Sony knows that.

Yesterday, Vin said he won't delay F9 and he even said we need to fight the virus and watch movies. I'm not kidding, he basically said that. He even said he was a soldier and wouldn't give up, lol.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I actually think the Studios are a lot more concerned about theater attednence falling off the cliff because of the fear factor more then actual theater closuer.

Pretty much. Although I'm sure stores are feeling differently right now with all the revenue the paranoia has brought to their wallets in recent weeks. :lol: